Foreign language

Lance

i totally hate languages, other than english! - yes i live in the UK!

im not very good at learning them and find them boring and (to my life) pointless or not worth the effort.

that is a personal view, plz dont be offended by it

at the same time i know a fair amount of french and a few bits and bobs of other languages.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the pain of those of you trying to learn Japanese. At my college, for reasons I cannot fathom, all Arts & Science students are required to take 2 years of a language (I could understand one year, but two is a bit excessive for a requirement). I, being a Grade A idiot, said "Hey, I've always liked Japanese, I can take that!" Then, with the sort of judgement usually reserved for those invading Russia with foot soldiers during the winter, I said to myself "How hard can Japanese really be?"

I've made some painful mistakes my life, including ones involving the business end of large pythons and falling headfirst down giant gravel piles, but the consequences of the two thoughts above have been the most painful of all.

Mokele

Personally, I have no interest in learning another language. Finns HAVE TO learn Finnish (duh). Finns HAVE TO learn Swedish. Finns HAVE TO learn English. At the times when I'm asked if I wanted to start learning another language (at high school for example), I'll just pass.

nope this is just for in my free time we had to learn either french or german in england and if you go into top set you had to learn either french and spanish or german and spanish or if you like just one language but thats about it, i would have rather learned russian instead of german and now i have to do it in my own time

English , Hindi : Read, write and understand

Punjabi (and variations like Multani etc.) : Can mostly understand, and speak with some erorrs (btw they are all regional languages common in North India and in Pakistan)

French : Learnt for 7 years at school, but I think I've forgotten most of it by now, never got a chance to practice ......been nearly 4 years now

Japanese : Tried it out once, bit too difficult, left it after 10 classes....

What I hope to achieve --> Learn to write and read Punjabi

plus do they sell Rosetta Stone in england because im sure my parents would get me that for christmas or something,

Indeed they do, I have one on my desk at the moment.

http://www.britishmuseum.co.uk/product.asp?cat=70&product=519

For a item of such significance, it's rather hidden away in the museum. Odd that so many people died over it, and now it gathers dust and get's overlooked by passers by.

YT where do you learn to speak russian i would love to be able to speak russian and i have a russian name if anybody wants to here it its Richard James Boris[/u'] Wilkinson-Lowe how great of a name is that

Cool name and it`s yours, so don`t knock it :)

I learned largely over the I-net as I made good friends with a Russian chap and we`de chat regularly and send parcels back and forth between or countries, he sent me some books too.

we chatted over the phone as well as on the net for a few years. I`de got some money at that time after the bike crash and decided to go visit him.

after all the paper work and inter gov formalities where sorted I booked a flight and spent some time there with him and his family :)

It was good and happy days :)

Hey pulkit, doesn't India have like over 20 languages that are considered to be major ones? Or then I was just asleep during my geography lessons. :)

Yes, I think there 18 official ones in the constitution. The number of languages that you can experience in the country is however larger. Each state is typically characterised by a different language , and within each state one can find tens upon tens of different dialects. Quite a lot of diversity.

I speak Spanish fairly well. My dad is from the Azores (Acores) and I am learning Portuguese which is like slurpy Spanish. I also play handbells with a Korean foreign exchange student so I am trying to learn conversational Korean. I have gotten as far as "hello", "how do you say...", and "where is the bathroom?"

What do you mean by "[it isn't'] a real language"?

Well, it's not spoken as a dominate lanuage in any country. It was created by someone who must have been really board. It's not reconized as a real lanuage, such as spanish, french. If you want to, I guess you could call it a branch off of english.

Igpay-atinlay isway unfay!

Well, it's not spoken as a dominate lanuage in any country. It was created by someone who must have been really board. It's not reconized as a real lanuage, such as spanish, french. If you want to, I guess you could call it a branch off of english.

I really hope you are drawing a clear distinction here between pig Latin and classical Latin.