Abiogenesis video

Moontanman

Nope, no joke, your phone must not be picking it up. I wish there wasn't so much anti creationism stuff at the beginning (evidently there is a bit of a war being fought with words and videos on you-tube between rationalists and creationists) but the idea of abiogenesis and this guys take on it is what i am trying to get across.

• 1 month later...

I didn't watch the full video, but the first few minutes seem pretty standard stuff (if a bit silly with all the random stock photos).

Abiogenesis is the leading theory in explaining how life came to be on Earth. I suggest you check out Dr. David Deamer as well, as he focuses on how protocells could have originated from rather simple chemicals in meteorites. It's cool stuff!

Is this the one with the Apotheosis-like music at the beginning (still doesn't appear on my microbox), but I remember that one being fairly good except for the abrasive, obnoxious music. What war? Who is even listening to the creationists, anyway? Oh yeah, since we have no way to explain exactly how this extremely complex, perfectly designed nucleic acid somehow wound up inside this complex, lipid sac full of another, third complex chemical, which somehow all started reacting with each other and replicating, then it must all be completely false.

Is this the one with the Apotheosis-like music at the beginning (still doesn't appear on my microbox), but I remember that one being fairly good except for the abrasive, obnoxious music. What war? Who is even listening to the creationists, anyway? Oh yeah, since we have no way to explain exactly how this extremely complex, perfectly designed nucleic acid somehow wound up inside this complex, lipid sac full of another, third complex chemical, which somehow all started reacting with each other and replicating, then it must all be completely false.

I don't know where you live but in the USA, especially the south it's called the culture wars and the creationists are gaining ground every day, mega churches dot the landscape and religion is slowly but surely being inserted into everything. They want the country to be a Christian country with Christian values and science and rational thought are being discouraged. i am loosing friends because I will not mindlessly go along. It is very scary looking out from the inside of this movement.

Well you can't control what people are going to believe! It's rather silly that people just can't "live and let live", and that a disagreement over a question no one knows the answer to is now a "war".

A better science education for everyone would help get the right ideas across. Of course creationists would argue we need a better religious education!

Personally, I think creationism is dead wrong, and it's just going through a phase of revival (why? I have no clue! I think thats a question for another day!). That said, I don't care if people believe it. Whatever floats their boat.

Well a dichotomy is kinda inevitable since they're about completely different things: logic and reason vs faith and emotion.

They're all human characteristics! So trying to discredit logic with emotion or faith with reason is impossible. Yeah, I'm always going to believe science is better, but I'm not going to go around lambasting other people's beliefs.

And I do believe it is about education, as there are a LOT of misconceptions on both sides. Fundamentally however, we all just need to get along :P

Getting back to abiogenesis...there are a lot of theories out there. My favourite is the "RNA world" hypothesis, as RNA can act as both an enzyme and as a storage device/replicator of information. The world before RNA is rather strange however...any thoughts?