Computer Science, Where to Begin?

NewbSorry

Hello

I have a very strong background in Mathematics. The problem at this point is I have very little knowledge of Computer Science. I'm beginning to believe the future requires a stronger understanding of Computer Science.

I'm starting this thread with the hopes some members will be able to point me in the right direction in terms of textbooks to use to begin learning about Computer Science.

I know Computer Science is a pretty broad term. So, specifically what I would like to learn is how to manage privacy and security on my own. I have read too many articles regarding Apple, Google and the like using information from searches to even personal e-mails to accumulate information and market to third parties. I deplore that kind of invasion of privacy and I would like to learn how best to keep my privacy protected. Keep in mind, I have nothing to hide but still if this trend continues who knows who will get there keyboard on personal information.

Currently, the only way I protect my privacy is to not have any social networking accounts, use Norton products for antivirus and security, use the internet minimally to check the news, and I have a GMX account instead of a G-Mail account.

I'm pretty certain to most of you my attempts at privacy protection are laughable. So, can someone guide me to what books I should read to learn how to maintain my privacy?

If my question is still to broad or does not make sense, please ask questions and I will clarify with the little knowledge I know.

Thanks

I'm by no means an expert, but what you are asking seems more in the realm of IT/computer security.. Although computer science is important for understanding and implementing cryptography, it is not quite as necessary for using it.

In terms of where to start reading, I don't know of any specific books, but I can give you some names/things to google.

Bruce Schneier is the first name that comes to mind when talking about security. I am given to understand he has written a large number of books/emails and given lectures. Many of these are quite accessible.

PGP (Pretty good privacy) Is an encrypton/digital signing algorithm.

Tor is one method of gaining some anonymity, although with fewer people controlling larger sections of the internet it has its flaws.

Read a bit about cookies and other methods of tracking people as they browse, too. There was an article on slashdot recently about a do not track registry which had a number of good comments.

These should give you a good starting point from which you can do further reading.

One of the problems with keeping your information private is you have to convince those you share it with to keep it private, too. It's no use installing and using pgp if noone else uses it as you won't be able to encrypt anything for them to view, and they won't encrypt emails to you.

Also, what do you mean by strong maths background? Unfortunately people have varying opinions of this and it becomes quite ambiguous.

learn ubuntu, if as you said you have nothing to hide, who needs windows and gates?

As far as the actual security goes you have LOTS to learn, theres lots of ways of hacking and using exploits so best to start with learning ports and protocols, then maybe learning how people hack so you can take the appropriate means to stop it. As far as google goes you can try getting involved with a community that have the means of browsing the web without a search engine (I.E the forum has sufficient internet links for relative information in their own heads), other than that you may want to learn about proxy servers, mac address spoofing and general network goodies that hide your geographical location or spoof someone elses.

im on the other end of the scale from you, i dont care about hackers, i presume im being hacked right now, infact i am but people have to learn how to somehow and the organism that is google cant survive without the parasites that are us.

if you really want to use windows get familiar with admin tools, things like services, event viewer and msconfig can give you signs of hackers/general abuse

command line tools help too, go to cmd and type

net /?

netstat /?

netsh > interface (ask if you want a guide on this one, its very in depth)

the above are all really usefull for overall networking below are a set of general commands

ipconfig /all

ping <specific ip>

traceroute <specific ip>

nslookup (outdated)

finger

telnet (outdated)

also wmic is a nice command to get internal computer information

great online tool http://networktools.nl/

if you want info on specific tools just pm me, as i said i really dont care about hackers or MiB, free source is free internet for all.

by the way what is your actual fear? im slightly confused after re-reading your post, do you fear social engineering which may materialise as identity theft, your precaution of social networks would suggest so.

Edited by keelanz