Energy in a Ceiling Fan ?

total.noob

Hi Guys ,

This is my First Post here on this forum....

As we all know that , in a ceiling fan , Electrical Energy is transformed into mechanical energy ...

I want to know where does the Mechanical Energy goes after wards ?

It has to go somewhere ...<_< Because Energy can neither be Created or Destroyed !!

Losses in the motor is transformed to heat but the mechanical energy of the wings creates a wind that brings this kinetic energy away with it.

If the fan was blowing air through a wind tunnel and there was a wind generator on the other side, some of the energy could be converted back to electrical energy, but there would be losses in the motor, generator and by friction in the tunnel that turns to heat.

Edited by Spyman

Hi Guys ,

This is my First Post here on this forum....

As we all know that , in a ceiling fan , Electrical Energy is transformed into mechanical energy ...

I want to know where does the Mechanical Energy goes after wards ?

It has to go somewhere ...<_< Because Energy can neither be Created or Destroyed !!

Electrical energy is transformed into mechanical energy. Mechanical energy is transformed into heat.

The mechanical energy dissipates because the mechanical energy is turned into heat because of shear stress (because of viscosity).

Just like when you rub your hands and they get warmer because of the friction, heat is also created when air is moving. (Note that it works a little different from rubbing your hands together... the 'friction' is not along a surface, like the palm of your hand, but in the entire volume of air).