Eyelash length - possible?

puzzly

I am not sure if eyelash length is purely genetic, or if there are other factors such as the diet, or other forms of healthcare.

But assuming it is genetic, then it is possible for a genetic trait to skip a generation. In that case it might be interesting to know the length of the eyelashes of the 4 grandparents too.

According to a site devoted to growing eyelashes (or so it seems, linked below), the length of the eyelashes depend on a number of factors, only one of which is the genetic one. While genetics take you so far, a healthy livestyle and sound diet come a long way to growing long eyelashes.

Also, I think there's the chance that the genes for short eyelashes are recessive and you both had those dormant, but a biologist would be better versed in explaining that bit.

http://www.grow-eyelash.com/

(the above site isn't scientific, so take all of it with a pinch of salt)

Thanks for the answers.

As you said, with a pinch of salt... I don't really trust the site due to its cosmetic associations. I already know that cutting eyelashes does not cause them to grow in longer or thicker but just gives the appearance of doing so.

I am pretty sure that all the grandparents have or had short eyelashes. It's quite important to me since my husband has paternal doubts about this since he thinks it is not possible were he the father. There must be some logical factual answer...

Thanks again.

Puzzly. If this is really important for your relationship, any anonymous responses at a forum will not do. The issue can be settled unambiguously by genetic testing. SM

He refuses to do a paternity test because he says he cannot go so far and feels to do it would undermine our relationship. He says he only needs to know that short lashes in this case are a possibility.

Well, the topic of this thread just changed a LOT! Instead of just chatting away about eyelashes, the actual topic is trying to find out who is the father of your child??? Anyway, as SMF said before, an anonymous forum is NOT the place to solve this problem. And there is a big chance that our advise is not helpful, because we base it on only a very small explanation of the problem.

It's quite irrational for somebody to claim he is not a father of a child, but to refuse to take a test. It is silly to deny being a child's father only based on a different length of eyelashes alone.

At this point I should probably point out that you are on a Science forum - we're definitely not experts in the relational field... Still, I advise you (for all kinds of reasons) to see if you can get an official test anyway. Personally, I think a child shouldn't grow up thinking that mommy's boyfriend is not his/her father, especially when there is a chance that he actually is the father. Also, there may be legal reasons to find out, but those become especially important if you ever end your relationship.

Seriously, if this is a problem of paternity then first off the mother should know if this is even possible, secondly genetic testing is quite easily done these days to be sure if there is some doubt but it is also important to note that children often have those lovely long eyelashes but go back to a more reasonable length as they get older. I know both my boys had the longest eye lashes when they are young but tended to loose them as they grew older and looked pretty much like every one else by the time they were in their late teens.

Another serious point, if you and your partner really love each other and the child why worry about it, does genetics keep the child from being loved by you? A child is innocent of any wrong doing, they only need to be properly loved and cared for, if it is not important to know then I would stop this line of questioning immediately, it cannot do anything positive in the life of the child...

Edited by Moontanman

Hi All,

Yes there is an issue but the question asked was one from a scientific perspective; a simple query into whether or not there were other factors which affect eyelash length or whether length is determined purely by genetics.

Thanks for all you answers in any case.