Masters in neuroscience

I am currently a student of Bachelor of pharmacy (B.Pharm) in India. I will be giving the GRE next year. Can I take up masters in Neuroscience or will I need any specialization? please reply

Edited by DemonHead

It is of course possible to take up post graduate studies in a field for which you do not have what would be considered the pre-requisite degree. I am not familiar with the curriculum for a standard pharmacy degree, though I would imagine you would have a fair idea of neurological mechanisms and how they manifest to clinical disorders. So I suppose in that sense, it shouldn't be too hard of a transition.

You would be best off speaking to your university and asking them whether or not it is possible though, since they will be making the final decision. .

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently a student of Bachelor of pharmacy (B.Pharm) in India. I will be giving the GRE next year. Can I take up masters in Neuroscience or will I need any specialization? please reply

In general, a bachelor's degree in some form of science is considered a pre-requisite to graduate study in America. The GRE will help evaluate your knowledge and skills in reading and comprehension. Furthermore, it will be used to determine if you will be able to use resources and learning materials you may encounter in an American graduate program. If you have done very well in your current program of study, you may be eligible for a Ph.D program. However, if your current academic standing, such as your marks in coursework, are not comparable (if not better) than those entering Ph.D programs in Biology/Neuroscience, then you may be referred to first completing a masters program in neuroscience/biology.

You want to talk to your university advisors to determine if your grades are competitive enough for a Ph.D program in biology/neuroscience in America.

Edited by Genecks

There is definitely a stigma against foreign degrees so you won't have much a chance getting into a masters program with your grades alone. Your best option is to take the GRE and the MCAT and show you really have the talent. Most masters programs in the physiology/medical arena prefer the MCAT over the GRE anyway. So if I was you I'd be doing the following:

1. Take the MCAT

2. Speak to academic professors at your school and determine if they have any connections with any schools or professors in the neuroscience fields. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, connections = A LOT

3. get a proactive read on the professors at various masters programs you'd be interested in so when it's time to communicate you already have an idea of their passions. most faculty members have a short biography posted on their university website

best of luck

Masters in Neuroscience course is designed to give you the theoretical and practical skills needed for a career in neuroscience within companies and research organizations. This course is ideal if you:

• are a recently qualified undergraduate and are looking for the professional skills neede to obtain a job in a Bioscience company.
  • require the skills and experience needed to study for research degree.
  • are an international student who would like to study abroad.
  • would like a course delivered by experienced research academics with the possibility of completing a research project in industry.

If you want to get help regarding this then you may check this link http://www.thedegreeexperts.com