Nutrition required for "Extended Intellectual Activity"

Now, I'm not certain this is the right forum (don't you love reading that line first thing?) but physiology seems to cover it reasonably well.

This Saturday I'm planning a full day (8 hours, at least) of writing (a book). I have caffeinated beverages (avoiding sugar, but caffeine is helpful for me, so diet sodas) on my list as it is. I know that that's not the best thing for me, but it'll keep me awake. My question is what kinds of foods should I eat the day before/day of to keep my mind in tip-top condition throughout the day.

While I'm at it, I might as well ask what types of activities I should do, as well. I'm sure typing 8 hours straight is not the best treatment for the mind (or fingers), so breaks are necessary. And I tend listen to music, so does anyone have a recommendation as to what'll stimulate creativity? I tend to listen to a mix of... wordless music. Can't really all be called classical, so let's leave it as wordless. Words tend to get me thinking along with the song, so try to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for your input, because if I know the good people at SFN then this is going to be responded to :P

First of all you want to totally avoid fatty, heavy meals while you are doing any kind of extended mental activity. This is because your body will divert some of the brain's blood supply to help in digestion. Avoid fried foods especially.

The day before I would eat complex carbs with a good portion of protein. I would also eat lots of vegetables and fruits. This way you will be stocking up on nutrients the day before. Also, take a multivitamin if you don't normally, but don't take it late because it might keep you up. Make sure you drink lots of water.

During your writing marathon eat lots of fruit, vegetables, and other light low-fat snacks with a light meal in-between. Trail mix can be a good one if they don't add too much sugar. Take a multi again. Make sure you drink lots of water too.

Don't do heavy exercise the day before or the day of your writing marathon if you don't normally exercise. Taking a break and doing some light exercise will probably be helpful.

If you are not normally a heavy caffinated beverage drinker don't drink too much caffeine because you can end up too wired to write. Music is a matter of preference so listen to what you like. Anything could get the creativity going, except country music lol. I have found Mozart and Tzechalsky (have no idea how to spell because I lost my cd) really good for boosting my creativity. The steve miller band too, but thats just me.

...."But that's just me..."

You sound like my health teacher :P

All that makes sense, but I never had sense, so it's news to me :D

Thank you for your advice, and I'll be sure to keep it all in mind. Let's see if I can actually get something accomplished during this writing session :P

Edit: one of the smilies didn't work.