Where Does Space End? It Must End Somewhere!

Edisonian

Have posters been kicked out of the forum for just disagreeing? Geez...I'm afraid to post my thoughts here now. :-(

Bettina

To answer that question, people don't get banned from SFN for simply disagreeing; that would be contrary to the principles upon which the whole of science and its associated forums of discussion are based. If they did get banned for that it was a mistake.

People DO get banned if they show blatant disregard for the scientific method. Most people who get banned from SFN are pseudoscientists who did not appreciate the value of evidence, proof, or open-mindedness, and who would thereby destroy any chance of meaningful debate as they were not willing to consider any new information. Most discussions like that are confined to the pseudoscience forum, which serves as something of a pressure valve for heated and ofttimes humorous threads, or the religion forum, where discussion is very much more based on personal beliefs than on science.

Understandably, the mods are very strict in keeping such discussion out of the main threads, to the point that they might appear to be somewhat closed-minded for banning someone with a different opinion. But if you look at the member's posts there would have been good cause, as that person would have been refusing to accept logical arguments or responding with unfounded opinions or rudeness. After years of experience in watching and dealing with these people, they are quick to gain a moderator's ire, and in their banning SFN often looks to be run by an oligarchy.

And it is, but it's a rather good one, see, and we all know that if we're really serious enough about scientific debate to debate in a scientific fashion, it's all good and jolly and Faberge eggs for tea. :)

Incorrect,yet again! you do not discuss or debate any subject.

I present Exhibit A: Overwhelming evidence to the contrary, which is in the form of the many many discussions and debates I have taken part in on this site over the years.

Your only input is to slag off other peoples posts,picking incredibely old and boring put downs.

I think you'll find that's untrue. Refer back to Exhibit A.

You ask for reference material and proof of what are obviously only that persons ideas,yet you offer no proof for your often opinionated stance on subjects.

In the first place, I - like anyone else engaged in voluntarily solicited peer review - will ask for the principles and reasoning behind any new idea. There is actually a method to science you know, hence the term "scientific method".

If an idea cannot be demonstrated from first principles, it must be able to stand on its own merit. If it can't, then it can be expected to draw criticisms. This is hardly revolutionary thinking.

As a member of staff it is within my remit to ask leading questions when people post badly-phrased ideas. Conversely, I'll only post my opinion (which, by the way, I have every right to do - what with this being a public forum) or stance if I have any particular interest in the topic.

Wow! It's just like I'm a person or something.

And when you get put in your place by people you kick them,like Spaceman or philbo.

Firstly, Spaceman is Philbo.

Secondly, you do not know the reasons he was banned, and this information is rarely handed out to members because - to be frank - it's got nothing to do with anyone other than the staff, the banned party, and members who were directly involved (e.g. people who were trolled).

Thirdly, if I (or anyone else for that matter) just banned anyone left right and center whenever we felt like it there would be very few posters here.

why not be mature and let them back into the forum.

As I said - "Nothing to do with you".

Turns out you actually are Spaceman/Philbo, so I'm correcting this part now to stop you from being smug.

Evading a ban is not allowed, so consider yourself on permanent final warning and this time try not to troll yourself to death. As a helpful hint, your Spaceman account was banned for trolling Severian and not - as you seem to think - just because someone quite felt like banning you that day.

Which has become boring without them,many people liked reading spacemans posts however ridiculess his claims,many members replied and debated his topics.I noticed ophiolite is still replying to him,how can he ever recieve a reply you booted spaceman.

So?

As for flamming and arguments your posts contain more than all posters here put together.I think as admin if you cannot even stay within the rules of the forum yourself you should have the decency to 'rap it in '

You are either flaming right now, or you honestly have no idea what flaming is.

As for criticising someone for having arguments on a science and debate forum, I can only ask "wtf?".

You must have a head the size of a beach ball if you think you are better qualified than the site owner to judge the performance of an admin on a forum you clearly don't understand very well.

If you have a problem with me in future, you address it with me by PM. Why make a complete arse of yourself in public?

Alternately, if you don't like speaking to people you disagree with, do yourself a favour and cancel your internet connection.

Have posters been kicked out of the forum for just disagreeing? Geez...I'm afraid to post my thoughts here now.

Artorius is simply bitter because some of his less well-formed posts have drawn criticism.

Don't let him put you off posting.

A message to all....we are all equal: some or proberly all of you have a great intellect more up the intellect than me.. which is so helpful to me I have a terminal illness "Cerebellar Ataxia" but while I'm here let's not put ourselves in a judgemental position also I beleive Sayonara is of extreme importance & deserves total respect but I would appreciate no one being ridiculed or showing off their intellectual prowess most of us are here to learn & all your views are interesting please forget the bans & in the interest of scientific learning let's be as one also all of you that have shown interest in my post thank-you...us.2u one for all & all for one!

• 2 weeks later...

To understand the infinity of space is obviously beyond our comprehension & understanding of mathmatical tools that we have to hand at the moment; a black hole is where time & light end but once inside are obviously a different set of rules! everything we know go'es back to dear old Albert relating to time & relativity I believe we have to think for a start... illogically to even begin our quest to a quantum of maths that we have no idea of presently but in ...dare I say it... "TIME" I guess our understanding & forward thinking will prevail....

Guest leankiller

The universe having edges is possable, if at the speed of light everything curves then the universe would be the size of the slowest moving objects LS curve, because everything in space must be moving at some minute speed or ratio of light so evercthing not effected by gravity will curve right? :-( Which would make it curcular like most things in the uviverse.

If this was possible then it would only hold true until two things neer the edge hit each other and change each others direction, expanding the edges.

Sorry about the spelling

Shouldnt the universe have a diameter of 15 billion or so light years?

This might be my insanity creeping out, I haven't taken my pills for a few weeks. ;)

What if the universe isn't expanding or never has expanded??

Say it remained at its original pinpoint size but everything inside it shrunk. I mentioned a few posts back about magically putting a 12 inch ruler in a black hole and it becoming miniscule in size but if you jumped in beside the ruler it would still be 12 inches.

Someone mentioned that gravity could possibly be a push effect instead of a pull effect, how would that fit in with my theory??

If every fundamental particle in the universe is shrinking in size as time passes then something must be applying a squashing force to them, could that be gravity??

Guest SpeedyString

I always like to think that space is finite but the ends are imposible to reach because the are espanding and such an astounding rate.

observations show that space is flat, yet they also show that there is no where near enough matter/dark matter in the universe for it to be flat. our observable universe is thought to be really small9compared to the universe as a whole), which would explain why we think it is flat. on a curved surface, the smaller an area is, the flatter it looks from its viewpoint.

• 3 months later...
observations show that space is flat, yet they also show that there is no where near enough matter/dark matter in the universe for it to be flat. our observable universe is thought to be really small9compared to the universe as a whole), which would explain why we think it is flat. on a curved surface, the smaller an area is, the flatter it looks from its viewpoint.

space is not flat its in a three dimensional form space is not infinite space ends that way space has a shape

A message to all....we are all equal: some or proberly all of you have a great intellect more up the intellect than me.. which is so helpful to me I have a terminal illness "Cerebellar Ataxia" but while I'm here let's not put ourselves in a judgemental position also I beleive Sayonara is of extreme importance & deserves total respect but I would appreciate no one being ridiculed or showing off their intellectual prowess most of us are here to learn & all your views are interesting please forget the bans & in the interest of scientific learning let's be as one also all of you that have shown interest in my post thank-you...us.2u one for all & all for one!

sure everythimg's equal

i'll give you a dollar and you give me a million dollars that's equal

To understand the infinity of space is obviously beyond our comprehension & understanding of mathmatical tools that we have to hand at the moment; a black hole is where time & light end but once inside are obviously a different set of rules! everything we know go'es back to dear old Albert relating to time & relativity I believe we have to think for a start... illogically to even begin our quest to a quantum of maths that we have no idea of presently but in ...dare I say it... "TIME" I guess our understanding & forward thinking will prevail....

SPACE ENDS THAT WAY SPACE HAS A SHAPE

outside of space there is nothing

we don`t KNOW this, nor can it be proven. because to do so (by going outside of "space") would in itself be an extension to it`s shape/existance.

and by the way, stop post whoring!

I gather from a swift persual of your thirteen posts to date that you believe "SPACE ENDS THAT WAY SPACE HAS A SHAPE". Will you be posting some proof of this statement in the near future, or perhaps links to a more detailed discussion? I await such a revelation with an almost bated breath, hoping, even tempted to pray, that such a post will include some examples of punctuation. Meanwhile, welcome to science forums.