Hair color

danjoel86

Hi. im a little worried. my baby is 19 month old and has blonde hair. Im a male brunette and the mother of baby is ginger. Is it possible and what are the chances of him being blonde. should i be worrying. sick of peoples comments saying he's not mine.

thanks.

The blonde gene is recessive (if that's the word in English) while dark hair is dominant. I think red hair is dominant over blonde as well. Now, remembering that there are 2 genes (please correct me if I'm using the wrong terminology) controlling hair colour, it's possible that the blonde gene has been lying dormant in both the father's and the mother's family for a few generations. And suddenly, the recessive gene from both parents (in this case blonde) is given to the baby, which ends up with blonde hair.

This might be a scientifically crap explanation, but yes it's possible it's still your child. :)

Next time anyone asks, flash them with this piece of scientificry!

As a child my hair was white blond and straight, both my parents had dark hair but by the time I was 5 or 6 my hair had begun to darken and was dark brown and very curly by the time I was a teen ager. (now it's white again, lol) Hair color is not an indicator of parenthood. If it's important to you get a DNA test but the next time a dullard suggests he is not your child suggest their parents were never married...

As a child my hair was white blond and straight, both my parents had dark hair but by the time I was 5 or 6 my hair had begun to darken and was dark brown and very curly by the time I was a teen ager. (now it's white again, lol) Hair color is not an indicator of parenthood. If it's important to you get a DNA test but the next time a dullard suggests he is not your child suggest their parents were never married...

I suspect the insult might be lost in this day and age.

Blond hair is recessive to brown hair, red is recessive to brown and blond. So you could have both brown and blond in your DNA, it is just that blonde doesn't show in you. It gets more complicated as there are probably at least 2 genes that code for hair colour, hence, it is highly unlikely that you will prove paternity from hair colour. Your situation is very common. Eye colour is the same deal. Just type 'human hair colour' into Wikipedia to get more info on hair colour genes.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes of course, My grandmother has black hair and my grandfather brown hair ... when my grandmother first gave birth to my uncle..he had light blond hair and blue eyes ! and as he grew up the hair remained blond.. didn't get darker.. and he looks like both my grandmother and grandpa except for his blond hair and blue eyes.. - although the genes were there..since my grandmother brother has blue eyes, so it runs in her genes..

These things happen very often among Europeans, because there is a diversity of people and eye colors..

• 2 months later...

I had blond hair until I was 3 and then it darkened. I don't know my hair genes but it could be many different factors like multiple genes controlling hair color or environmental conditions. My mom was red haired and my dad was brunette and all of us had blonde hair when we were born (all 4 of us) and at 3 we all lost it to brunette or dirty blond.

So it yo baby and that's yo baby mama >O

• 7 months later...