MBA in Engineering Mgmt or PhD in Computer Science?

Mahbub

I have read the two threads in this forum on related subject. Since they are quite old (5yr and 1yr respectively) and does not relate to my problem directly, I decided to post it.

I have a MS in Mechanical Engineering specialized in Computer Aided Design (CAD). Currently, I am working as a Software Developer in a CAD company. However, since my degree is in Mechanical Engineering as opposed to Computer Science I don't think I am getting the right amount of traction from it.

Moreover, I always wanted to go for entrepreneurship or lead innovative projects in a company. On the other hand, I like research, but would like to do so in company to produce real products.

Now, the question is which way should I go? PhD in Computer Science? or MBA in Engineering Management?

I know, at the end of the day the decision is mine. But any advice, experience or thoughts will be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read the two threads in this forum on related subject. Since they are quite old (5yr and 1yr respectively) and does not relate to my problem directly, I decided to post it.

I have a MS in Mechanical Engineering specialized in Computer Aided Design (CAD). Currently, I am working as a Software Developer in a CAD company. However, since my degree is in Mechanical Engineering as opposed to Computer Science I don't think I am getting the right amount of traction from it.

Moreover, I always wanted to go for entrepreneurship or lead innovative projects in a company. On the other hand, I like research, but would like to do so in company to produce real products.

Now, the question is which way should I go? PhD in Computer Science? or MBA in Engineering Management?

I know, at the end of the day the decision is mine. But any advice, experience or thoughts will be appreciated.

I know scads of people who have done engineering management and executive management, including me. Several of them, including me, have PhDs in science, mathematics or engineering. I don't know anyone with an MBA in engineering management.

My experience with degrees is that they get you in the door. After that people forget about your degree and focus on what you produce.

Edited by DrRocket

If you are looking at long term an MBA program generally requires several years of work experiences before you can apply. The way I look at it is that anyone can really pursue an MBA in fact it may be the most popular graduate degree but only a few can add are willing to pursue higher education in an engineering field. I would say that get your engineering MS and see what kind of work you get into your MS. At least that way you will have work experience to satisfy some of the better business schools. For further information you may get reference from here http://www.thedegreeexperts.com