My Kindle is now worthless

ydoaPs

Ugh, I got a Kindle for my birthday and it is awesome. But now I found a free game on it, so I'll never read another page :P

Fortunately, I'm immune to that effect.

Until someone manages to get Minecraft* running on a kindle. Then I'm doomed. Doooooooooomed!

*Or Diamond Mines, really. Or Angry Birds. Or... oh crap.

So, it turms out tht the Kindle now has a full browser (with obvious limitations from the type of screen) instead of just wikipedia and amazon. The top of SFN is a bit wonky, but posting works just fine.

This post brought to you by ydoaPs's Kindle.

Games and a browser! - try to remember that there is e-book functionality. i deliberately did not investigate the games on my kindle after your post above, and now I have to deliberately avoid the browser as well if I want to get any work done.

BTW Dunno if you have used the online/email pdf converter - superb for text based pdfs, less good for equation rich. In the few months I have used my kindle I have read a few books on it but have read over a hundred articles downloaded as pdfs from journals, emailed to amazon and returned to the kindle as floating text files. Must have saved a couple of reams of paper so far

I've not yet used the converter. I'm still parsing an OCRed scan so I can send my Kindle the text document. The guide said that sending a text document will automatically convert to kindle format, but pdfs won't(although, you'll still be able to read them as well).

I have ported all my previous Amazon e-book purchases(i used the Kindle app on the ipad as it had more options than the ipad bookstore), so I've already got some reading. The first thing I've started (re)reading on it is I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell and I must say that the Pearl e-ink looks fantastic.

I must say that the Pearl e-ink looks fantastic.

Really? That's been my biggest concern about buying a Kindle or Nook or something. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it and then not be able to see the screen. Does it work in really bright light? Direct Sunshine?

It works best in bright sunshine, actually. It's like printed paper.

Now, the Nook Color uses an LCD screen instead of e-ink, so it'll behave like a laptop or cell phone screen in sunlight and become difficult to see. The Kindle looks rather nice outdoors.

The biggest disadvantage is its relatively slow refresh time compared to an LCD, but I hear they've improved that some in the Kindle 3.

Bright sunshine - not a problem.

PDFs - if you just copy the pdf to the kindle it remains in the pdf format and whilst all the formatting and any pictures remain pristine it can be quite hard to read without zooming in; and once zoomed in you realise that the original pdf line breaks still apply and you can end up shuttling back and forth. However, and its a doozy of a however, if you email the pdf to your own kindle email address madeupname@kindle.com with subject line convert , they download it to your kindle in a new format where the texts flows to fit (although some formatting might be lost - equations get screwed). If you have a 3G enabled kindle make sure to use your free kindle address (madeupname.free@kindle.com) otherwise they will download it over 3g network and charge you for the privilege.

Most of the articles I read are from legal journals and the conversion is great (I still load up a copy of the unconverted to follow references which can get confusing) - the times I have converted scientific papers have been less successful

Has the 3rd gen got a confirmed release date yet?

Bright sunshine - not a problem.

PDFs - if you just copy the pdf to the kindle it remains in the pdf format and whilst all the formatting and any pictures remain pristine it can be quite hard to read without zooming in; and once zoomed in you realise that the original pdf line breaks still apply and you can end up shuttling back and forth. However, and its a doozy of a however, if you email the pdf to your own kindle email address madeupname@kindle.com with subject line convert , they download it to your kindle in a new format where the texts flows to fit (although some formatting might be lost - equations get screwed). If you have a 3G enabled kindle make sure to use your free kindle address (madeupname.free@kindle.com) otherwise they will download it over 3g network and charge you for the privilege.

Most of the articles I read are from legal journals and the conversion is great (I still load up a copy of the unconverted to follow references which can get confusing) - the times I have converted scientific papers have been less successful

Has the 3rd gen got a confirmed release date yet?

I thought mine was a K3, but I'm not so sure now.

Ugh, I got a Kindle for my birthday and it is awesome. But now I found a free game on it, so I'll never read another page :P

Maybe they could have a version of Toss It that only lets you crumple a page and throw it after you've read it. It would be like reading a paper book and tearing out pages one by one to use for wastebasket-ball. That way you'd have to read really carefully before playing the game. Maybe you could even get the page back if you made the shot as a further incentive.

Edited by lemur

Mine is black, so I'm going to say it is the third gen. It sure is making laundry day more barable; I read a bit then hop on SFN.

Does the battery last as long as Amazon claims? Companies tend to make liberal estimates of their products' battery life. My iPod's battery, even when new, did NOT last 24 hours. How long before you start to notice a loss of power?

The E-Ink screen uses incredibly small amounts of power, it seems.

It's supposed to use zero power to keep an image on the screen. The battery life drops considerably if you're playing games(continuous refresh), but if you just read with it, it lasts pretty much forever.