Yay Paganism!

ydoaPs

It is to the pagan goddess Eostre that I dedicate this thread, in honor of the reason for this holiday which is sadly no longer remembered, and in recognition of the impostor that stands in her stead.

It is to the pagan goddess Eostre that I dedicate this thread, in honor of the reason for this holiday which is sadly no longer remembered, and in recognition of the impostor that stands in her stead.

Christians don't even know on what day Jesus died or was born! They expect me to believe he was born of a virgin and rose from the dead...and they can't even guarantee in what month it happened!!!???

*Today I will reluctantly attend church. No matter how staunch an atheist, you still gotta make momma happy.

Yeah, I give my grandparents one church attendance a year. They choose veterans day for some reason. I'm gonna go out for lunch and maybe dinner with my stepdad today, though.

Christians don't even know on what day Jesus died or was born!

That's kind of hard when the texts can't even agree on the year, but that's a conversation for another thread in another subforum.

The Moon Goddess Diana bestows her bounty on the world and the world gives all the credit to an impostor, blessed be ydoaPs, Diana appreciates your attempt to give the Goddess Eostre the credit She deserves, next time we feast and dance naked in the light of her awesome presence I'll ask Diana to bless you personally for recognizing the great lie that has been perpetuated.

Edited by Moontanman

The historical theory of religions divides them into two basic types, sky god religions and earth god religions. Sky god religions usually have some mystical figure who transcends the ordinary world and either governs or creates it, and who is often identified as the guarantor of society's ethical system. Earth god religions usually have some magical figure who lives as a part of the ordinary world, even though he has some supernatural powers, and while he teaches mankind some useful lessons, he is not a transcendent, omniscient, or omnipotent figure. The chief feature of these earth gods is that they die once every year and then they are resurrected in the early spring, usually around the same time as Christians celebrate Easter. Dionysis, who was killed by his manic followers but then rose again, and Orpheus, who was torn apart by the Maenads and then floated down the river and began singing again when he landed on an island, are classical examples of the earth god type, of which the Christ of Easter is also an example. Jupiter and the other gods of Mount Olympus are classical sky god types, as is the Christian 'God the Father' or 'the Holy Spirit,' in contrast to the humanoid or more paganish man-god figure of Christ.

Given the countless examples of this sky god/earth god typology in cultural anthropology, it seems astonishingly naive that Christians actually believe that their own particular version of this widespread myth is unique, or do the think that it is just some gigantic coincidence that the ultimate truth of the universe just happens to turn out to match a panoply of silly stories from other, invalid religions?

Christians don't even know on what day Jesus died or was born! They expect me to believe he was born of a virgin and rose from the dead...and they can't even guarantee in what month it happened!!!???

We can still celebrate the memory of the event that is one of the most precious in all of the Bible to us.

false

????????

The Bible, The historical theory of religions, sky god religions, earth god religions, Christians, Dionysis, Jupiter, gods of Mount Olympus, 'God the Father' , 'the Holy Spirit, Christ, religions, Moon Goddess Diana, Goddess Eostre, church, Christians , Jesus, church, atheist.

Edited by michel123456

Religion thread.

false

Errh ... false religion thread? :rolleyes:

We do know what day it occurred — the first Sunday after the full moon following the northern hemisphere's vernal equinox.

It's Christmas 25 December that's almost certainly wrong, and because Christians say life begins at conception, we should really celebrate his conception, and not his birth (but try telling that to the powers to be!).

You can. I have no problem. I was joking, sorry if I offended. Not intentional.

My bad. I thought you were saying that it's wrong of us to celebrate something if we do not know when it happened (and we don't). And thanks. You're the least boring chemist I know. :D

My bad. I thought you were saying that it's wrong of us to celebrate something if we do not know when it happened (and we don't). And thanks. You're the least boring chemist I know. :D

That one's a pagan festival too :P

The conception of this thread is irresponsible and is IMO in breach of SFN Rule 1c and is generally not of a civil nature towards all of SFN's users. It's clearly an incitement to ridicule another group with different beliefs to the OP.

1. Be civil.

a. No flaming. Refrain from insulting or attacking users in a discussion.

b. Avoid the use of vulgar language.

c. Slurs or prejudice against any group of people (or person) are prohibited.

The conception of this thread is irresponsible and is IMO in breach of SFN Rule 1c and is generally not of a civil nature towards all of SFN's users. It's clearly an incitement to ridicule another group with different beliefs to the OP.

1. Be civil.

a. No flaming. Refrain from insulting or attacking users in a discussion.

b. Avoid the use of vulgar language.

c. Slurs or prejudice against any group of people (or person) are prohibited.

Not quite. Where was any group of people or person slurred? That's right, they weren't.

Not quite. Where was any group of people or person slurred? That's right, they weren't.

BS. Your timing of this thread is full of innuendo.

"1. An indirect or subtle, usually derogatory implication in expression; an insinuation"

I'm not religious but I don't want to see any group be ridiculed directly or indirectly. How can the scientific community hope to promote its methodology , of which this site is a bastion, in the wider community if it belittles the beliefs (like in this thread) of those it seeks to teach?

I'm not religious but I don't want to see any group be ridiculed directly or indirectly.

I'm glad that you're standing up for what you perceive to be a slur, StringJunky, but where exactly did ydoaPs make hurtful remarks about us Christians?

Edited by A Tripolation

The historical theory of religions divides them into two basic types, sky god religions and earth god religions. Sky god religions usually have some mystical figure who transcends the ordinary world and either governs or creates it, and who is often identified as the guarantor of society's ethical system. Earth god religions usually have some magical figure who lives as a part of the ordinary world, even though he has some supernatural powers, and while he teaches mankind some useful lessons, he is not a transcendent, omniscient, or omnipotent figure. The chief feature of these earth gods is that they die once every year and then they are resurrected in the early spring, usually around the same time as Christians celebrate Easter. Dionysis, who was killed by his manic followers but then rose again, and Orpheus, who was torn apart by the Maenads and then floated down the river and began singing again when he landed on an island, are classical examples of the earth god type, of which the Christ of Easter is also an example. Jupiter and the other gods of Mount Olympus are classical sky god types, as is the Christian 'God the Father' or 'the Holy Spirit,' in contrast to the humanoid or more paganish man-god figure of Christ.

Given the countless examples of this sky god/earth god typology in cultural anthropology, it seems astonishingly naive that Christians actually believe that their own particular version of this widespread myth is unique, or do the think that it is just some gigantic coincidence that the ultimate truth of the universe just happens to turn out to match a panoply of silly stories from other, invalid religions?

Interesting anthropological survey of religious mythological content. Still, Christ's resurrection seems like a hybrid case to me since Jesus is supposedly a flesh-and-blood son of a heavenly father. He also seems to keep referring to himself as "son of man," which seems to imply imo something about the relationship between man and God (the heavenly father). I guess the simplest analogy would be to say that Jesus is supposed to be like an Earthly compass that points to heaven, where Holy Spirit is magnetism maybe. Then, it's like when he dies he gets resurrected in the people whose lives he touched. So Mary is the first disciple to witness him resurrected (she thinks he's the gardener). You can interpret this as literal or as a spiritual experience that symbolizes that his teachings were reborn in her as she went from being disciple to teacher herself. Going back to the magnet analogy, it could be seen like a strong magnet that was used to magnetize a piece of mined (Earthly) iron so it could be used as a compass. The metaphor actually works within your logic of heavens and Earth since the magnetic field extends into space and iron is mined from the ground. But I wouldn't say Christ is purely an Earth god in the sense of representing fertility for its own sake. If anything, he's a mythological figure used to make a link between flesh and mortality and spirit and immortality, perhaps for the sake of converting Pagans to biblical monotheism.

Edited by lemur