How tall are you?

How tall are you?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How tall are you?

and how might that be so?

I weigh exactly 9 stone 10 (136 pounds). explain to me how you would scientificly work that out?

It will only yeild a estimate of how much you do weigh. I forgot the exact way to find it but if you give me until Monday when I can check the paper at school I can give you the way they do it.

That is how the guys at state fairs and other events who say, "I bet I can figure out your weight for so and so dollars." do it. They estimate how tall you are and go from there.

I think that sites like http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/ht_wt_mw.asp use the same caculation I am talking about. Give me until Monday and I will post what it says on the worksheet I did a couple of months ago.

That website uses the formula for calculating IDEAL body weight (which is most likely what you calculated several months ago). There is no way to accurately calculate a person's weight knowing only their height. There must be at least another known variable' date=' e.g. body mass index, percent body fat, etc.

The carnival guys become pretty accurate because they use the most obvious variable -- they are looking at you!

I'm 5'8". My ideal weight is 145-155 lbs. However, that is not my TRUE weight due to a combination of other factors - abdominal adiposity, muscle density, etc.[/quote']

Then the papers at my school must be wrong. When I get them Monday I will show you exactly what they said. You do need to know the persons height in inches on the worksheet I know that.

4'(7-9[not quite sure])"

Of all the people who have sayed anything' date=' I'm the smallest person (but, I'm only 12, and havn't even started growthspurts). I'm one of the tallest boys in my class(s), but I'm dwarfed to all the girls. I should be one of the taller people.[/quote']

Not only am I the shortest person here, I'm pretty sure I'm the youngest too(considering that I'm pretty tall for my age).

Seriously, I don’t see what’s so great about them. If they were healthy wouldn’t our tongue have evolved to make them taste good?

they do taste good... you hate them as a child as a defence mechanism. note that it doesnt matter if you have tried it before, you still wont like it, if you dont know what it is your body has a natural gag reflex to it. saved children from getting poisoned in the cave days.

(im not saying all adults like all healthy vegetables, personal preference still comes into it)

they do taste good... you hate them as a child as a defence mechanism. note that it doesnt matter if you have tried it before' date=' you still wont like it, if you dont know what it is your body has a natural gag reflex to it. saved children from getting poisoned in the cave days.

[/quote']

But thats what I'm saying. Why would our bodies not know what they are if we need them so bad and have for thousands of years

• 6 years later...

Good luck, Jacobson! How tall will they ultimately allow you to become? Aren't there other concerns (vascular, muscular, skin, etc.)? PS, I don't think you're only 1.7 centimeters tall. But if it's meters, I'm confused about why you'd put yourself through this...5'7" isn't that short... Regardless, good luck!

Good luck, Jacobson! How tall will they ultimately allow you to become? Aren't there other concerns (vascular, muscular, skin, etc.)? PS, I don't think you're only 1.7 centimeters tall. But if it's meters, I'm confused about why you'd put yourself through this...5'7" isn't that short... Regardless, good luck!

In theory, you can go up to 12.2 cms with Betz Bone, but I would not even dream of going that far... After 8 cms, the recovery can be very very long. As you point out, you are not only lengthening the bone, but also "soft tissue": nerves, muscle, tendons, etc. You can distract at 1mm a day according to the Ilizarov principle, which is the one virtually all LL doctors abide to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distraction_osteogenesis

http://en.wikipedia....Gavril_Ilizarov

I know 1.70 m is not that short, but I wore lifts for a while and I can tell you: 7 centimeters will allow you to see the nicer side of society's face ;-)....I know it sucks, but hey, who made the rules!? :-D

By the way, how tall are you?

Edited by jacobson

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...