Does Cen***ship P*** yo* Of* ?

Hal.

Only if it's done by the government. As an American citizen I am free from the fear of being censored by my government. My right to free speech, however, does not extend into the private sector.

I know that private outlets such as this fine website are the property of their owners. We don't have to be allowed to have a voice here. This site is John's personal toy that he lets you play with for free. However, to facilitate a better experience for all involved, he and his crack team of staff members have put into place rules and guidelines to which you agreed upon registration. If you don't like the rules, don't post here. No one is making you log on. It's the same with any other form of media. A newspaper isn't going to publish an essay you write if it violates their rules; why should a website.

There are plenty of other websites to troll. Move along.

Edited by ydoaPs

do you have anything specific in mind? like this website? because the guy falks wanabe went all anal about the private sector relating to this site? WTFFF

If it wasn't clear, when we said that foul language and bad attitude is against hte rules, we meant EVERYONE. The next post with derogatory language will be deleted.

You should be adults, you can speak without resorting to foul attitude.

Also, there are RULES for this forum, and it is a private forum, not a publically-owned venture. You are getting services from this place for free, you're not paying or have voting rights here. The rules allow the owner(s) to do pretty much whatever they want.

They happen to not do "whatever they like" but rather follow a set of very clear rules they and the staff composed. Follow it, or leave. It really is that simple.

This isn't a free government. And this particular subject of the rules here is not up for debate or vote.

The staff is a group of volunteers who take time to try and make the experience a good one for all posters, and most of our members take their time to help out and answer questions.

You're welcome. All we require is that you follow the rules. It's not that hard.

~mooey

If it wasn't clear, when we said that foul language and bad attitude is against hte rules, we meant EVERYONE. The next post with derogatory language will be deleted.

You should be adults, you can speak without resorting to foul attitude.

Also, there are RULES for this forum, and it is a private forum, not a publically-owned venture. You are getting services from this place for free, you're not paying or have voting rights here. The rules allow the owner(s) to do pretty much whatever they want.

They happen to not do "whatever they like" but rather follow a set of very clear rules they and the staff composed. Follow it, or leave. It really is that simple.

This isn't a free government. And this particular subject of the rules here is not up for debate or vote.

The staff is a group of volunteers who take time to try and make the experience a good one for all posters, and most of our members take their time to help out and answer questions.

You're welcome. All we require is that you follow the rules. It's not that hard.

~mooey

sorry i thought this part of the forum may be more laid back, he did get anal though ;) nah ill conform cant be bothered getting shot by the cowboy

on another note, the american bill has "in god we trust" the sterling has "charles darwin born 1809 - 1882", thats government censorship on a whole new level :P

Wasn't the 'f--- off' post meant as a bit of irony, offered as a way of replying more concretely to the question whether people were bothered by censorship? I took it as something like the phrase, 'There'll be no damn swearing in this establishment while I'm boss.' If it were meant in that sense, then it wouldn't really have amounted to abusive language, despite its appearance.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really mind, far as I'm concerned anybody can use whatever language they feel they need to in order to express themselves. People who use "curse" words are no less intelligent or cultured than those who don't.

Hate speech is a big no-no though. In the USA you're allowed to bear arms, just not shoot people you don't like with them. Similar concept with free speech methinks.

Even if you don't shoot people, I don't think you are allowed to run around firing off weapons randomly because that would force people to take cover or otherwise make sure they don't get hit by a bullet.

Likewise if you are randomly shouting curse words, even if there is no hate or direction, people who don't want to hear them would need to take extra care distancing or shielding themselves to avoid them.

Do we want everyone visiting scienceforums.net to feel comfortable here or only those who don't mind bad language?

Even if you don't shoot people, I don't think you are allowed to run around firing off weapons randomly because that would force people to take cover or otherwise make sure they don't get hit by a bullet.

Likewise if you are randomly shouting curse words, even if there is no hate or direction, people who don't want to hear them would need to take extra care distancing or shielding themselves to avoid them.

Do we want everyone visiting scienceforums.net to feel comfortable here or only those who don't mind bad language?

Good point. I think the offensive thing about cursing is that it feels like someone is intentionally trying to provoke others by using language that is potentially offensive. When people state curse words in quotes or otherwise use them in a way that doesn't express an intent to offend, I don't find them offensive - but it is rare that people are able to use them in that way, imo. Usually there is some level of transgression-intent, if only because they know people could get possibly offended and they don't care. I think the main issue on a science forum is that people should be practicing writing in an emotionally-neutral manner and using the most accurate language possible instead of resorting to poetic license for its own sake - aside from friendly banter in some threads or as an aside to relax an otherwise serious post.

I agree with Spyman, and therefore Lemur. I think it's best to keep the bad language to a minimum here. I've got a foul mouth, so do you ydoaPs, ;). I can't help it, my dad was a sailor. But I think it is quite easy to keep it to a minimum when typing. I can yell, **** all I want at my computer screen as I read about some half-wit's quack theory; but there's just no reason to type it (except for on IRC).

We do have a lot of children around here looking for help. Even though I don't find course language offensive, I'm sure many of them do and the same goes for their parents. Plus, we're all supposed to be somewhat educated here right? Typing vulgar language in your post shows your lack of descriptive vocabulary, and or math skills in this setting.

The last couple days, I've spent at least an hour a day trying to get Virgin Mobile to refund money they took out of my bank account mistakenly (I hope) At first they assured me that no extra money would be taken out then the next working day, (this started on Friday, Monday was the first day i called them) they told me, after more than an hour on the phone, that the extra 4 times they had taken money out of my bank account would be back before the end of the working day. Tuesday I called back and asked where was my money they then said I needed to wait 5 working days, I told them it was unacceptable, that they had indeed assured me the money would be back in my account, I asked to speak to a manager, the manager got on the phone (yeah right) but still refused to do what the bank said needed to be done they claimed they had no fax machine and that they had not taken the money out, (actually this was about three managers in, I am quite certain they were just jerking me around by this time) I sad Bullsh*t, the guy told me i continued to use profanity he would hang up on me, i told if he did I would call the Better business bureau and the local TV Station (they love this stuff and do stories a couple days a week), he said no matter what I did they would not fax my bank and that i had to wait 5 days to get my money, i told him bullsh*t, he hung up. I called back and told the person that bullsh*t was not profanity in my culture (in redneck USA it is not, lol) and that they had lied to me over and over and that I was going to call the better business bureau, they said no money would come to me until 5 days, I sad bullsh*t and they hung up, the next day my money was back... not sure what this means except in India evidently bullsh*t is profanity and wearing down the customers resolve is part of their game... but that is bullsh*t... but is it censorship for them to get me worked up over several days then hang up on me when i loose my temper for saying bullsh*t or was my temper loss and use of the word bullsh*t really the reason they gave me back my money? BTW the first two days of calls i was polite to a fault, I generally am when dealing with people on the phone, I realize that the regular people who work the phones are not responsible but a manager is responsible and i did not say anything bad to anyone but a "manager".

Is bullsh*t profanity? And when, if ever, is it appropriate to use profanity?

Edited by Moontanman

I'd have to disagree with that, if I say fuck, I'm not doing it to offend anybody. If you get offended by the simple utterance of 'fuck', why not with 'cat' or 'bus'? People who get offended by the simple use of language, by how the specific arrangement of vowels and consonants sound, to signify something specific are just childish. Unless I go around, pointing a finger at you and saying "fuck you" there is no reason, whatsoever to feel insulted. If you can censor one simple word, you can pretty much do whatever the hell you like. Yes, I just used the slippery slope argument.

Unless it's hate speech, censorship is a pointless endeavour.

Moontaman, in India cows are holy. So it's prolly blasphemy or something.

I'd have to disagree with that, if I say fuck, I'm not doing it to offend anybody. If you get offended by the simple utterance of 'fuck', why not with 'cat' or 'bus'? People who get offended by the simple use of language, by how the specific arrangement of vowels and consonants sound, to signify something specific are just childish. Unless I go around, pointing a finger at you and saying "fuck you" there is no reason, whatsoever to feel insulted.

IOW you don't care about other people, you don't bother to consider if someone else might get offended and won't respect different opinions. You declare that you have the right to shout whatever curse word you like and others don't have any right at all to get insulted. If people don't want to hear your curse words they are themselves responsible to cover their ears or endure your unpleasant discourtesy.

Did I understand you correctly, is this really your opinion?

Stefan if you don't use it to signify something why are you saying it? Is it merely verbal padding? As if so, is it not a little bit intolerant to use as a mere space filler a word that some find offensive, even if you disagree about their reasons for finding it offensive. Personally I find your sig more offensive than the swear word under discussion, but I don't swear unless I either lose complete control or I am in the company only of other people who swear.

Moontaman, in India cows are holy. So it's prolly blasphemy or something.

Maybe I should have said bull-butter instead, "realitycheck" i was trying to relate how profanity does motivate people especially when you don't generally use it, it does get someone attention when an other wise polite person breaks down into profanity..

• 1 month later...

I haven't been here in awhile and I was toying with the idea of coming back to get some different perspectives on politics, religion, and cosmology but now I've noticed that the forum has fwords all over the place. Is this allowed now? I have a deep dislike for that word and if it's become acceptable....in any degree.... then I'll stay out.

I just want a quick clarification.

Bettina

And hi mooyey ;)

It's still against the rules, as you can see in posts 3 and 4 in this thread, although the forum software no longer censors it automatically. If you see vulgar language being used in an abusive or inappropriate manner, you can report the post and we'll take care of it.

It's still against the rules, as you can see in posts 3 and 4 in this thread, although the forum software no longer censors it automatically. If you see vulgar language being used in an abusive or inappropriate manner, you can report the post and we'll take care of it.

Is the fword itself against the rules or only when used in a certain manner?

I'm not a total prude and I have no problems with the minor swear words but the fword for me is out.

Thanks

Bee