Carbon, Graphene and Quantum Theory

elas

Unfortunately the forum will no longer allow image installation, instead the following message appears: You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. (i.e. the 'insert image' button) therefore I have resorted to referring readers to a pdf file.

I think that message refers to the filename extension of image. Jpeg and others should still be allowed.

Unfortunately the forum will no longer allow image installation, instead the following message appears: You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. (i.e. the 'insert image' button) therefore I have resorted to referring readers to a pdf file.

http://69.5.17.59/graphene3.pdf

elas, what is the name of the file you're trying to insert? are you trying to upload it (from your compuer) or link to it from an external source? If it's external source, please show me the full link for the image.

mooeypoo

md65536

My error - wrong file name, thanks for pointing this out, submission follows.

Carbon, Graphene and Quantum Theory

Brief recap.

We previously proposed that:

Mass x radius = gravitational constant divided by 2.

Followed later by the Table below with the proposal that the additional two particles needed to produce col. (F) are gravitons.

g1.gif

This proposal will be developed using structures of carbon; [6]C[12] being the only atom with a perfect structural balance. The perfect balance is deduced from the single Electron Binding Energy (table below) indicating that all the electrons form a single (s1) shell. The fact that experimental observation reveals two shells can be attributed to the compression created by the insertion of energy during the experiment; alternatively it is possible that the act of forming a single one atom thick layer (graphene) causes a re-alignment of the electron structure. The result in either case is that 6 electrons and the atomic nucleus total seven bodies of mass; which happens to be the largest number of bodies that can be used to create an equidistance assembly, hence the perfect structural balance that will be used throughout this article.

g2.gif

Interpretation

Roger Penrose is credited with the invention of spin networks[1] which he described as follows:

A spin network, as described in Penrose 1971, is a kind of diagram in which each line segment represents the world line of a "unit" (either an elementary particle or a compound system of particles). Three line segments join at each vertex. A vertex may be interpreted as an event in which either a single unit splits into two or two units collide and join into a single unit. Diagrams whose line segments are all joined at vertices are called closed spin networks. Time may be viewed as going in one direction, such as from the bottom to the top of the diagram, but for closed spin networks the direction of time is irrelevant to calculations[2]. (my emphasis)

A diagram of a closed spin network constructed of equilateral triangles is used to illustrate an electron at the top of Fig.1. The six electrons of a 6C atom are then assembled as shown in the central and lower diagrams of Fig.1 to produce a 2 dimensional diagram of a 6C atom.

Fig. 1

g3.gif

The lower diagram of Fig 1 is used to replace the black dots normally used to represent carbon atoms in diagrams of graphene[4] in Fig. 2 and all subsequent diagrams.

A.G. Lisi4 original work used SU(3), Fig. 2 shows the diagram Lisi used to illustrate SU(3) superimposed over graphene. This shows that SU(3) divides the holes in the structure of graphene into twelve segments.

What is describe as holes in the graphene layer are six point star shapes, Lisi’s diagram divides each point into two equal triangles making a total of 12 spaces; the opening table shows that this is equal to the number of gravitons surrounding the six neutrons of the carbon atomic nucleus; this lead to the proposal that the neutron gravitons are paired with external gravitons, in the same manner that protons are paired with the electrons. An alternative possibility (that I prefer) is that the neutron gravitons are squeezed out of the atomic structure, but remain bonded to the nuclear neutron. Figs. 3 and 4 show the upper and lower graviton bonding surfaces of a 6C atom.Fig. 2

Fig. 2

g4.gif

Fig. 3

g5.gif

Fig. 4

g6.gif

Carlo Rovelli[5] is listed among the founders of Loop Quantum gravity ‘a major task of LQG is the construction of operator H [6,7]; a diagram of operator H is superimposed over three carbon atoms of a graphene layer, the nodes occur where the particle radius is equal to the graviton field radius. Inverting operator H precisely outlines the gravity field (of the twelve gravitons) as shown in the centre of Fig. 5

Fig. 5

g9.gif

Jainendra K. Jain[8] a leader in the study of Composite Fermions[9] (CF) states that electrons ‘capture’ vortices, but the interpretation of QT described in this article leaves no room for free vortices; this lends support for my earlier proposal that the vortices of CF are created out of matter transferred from adjacent electrons. The position of the vortices is shown in Fig. 6.

Fig6

g7.gif

The existence of graviton vortices is an open question still to be determined.

Fig. 7 shows the key data of vortices creation using CF fractions:

CF compressed electrons are shown in black.

Force contours are shown in green.

Spin widths are shown in magenta.

A vortex is created between the spin width and the original electron boundary. Indicating that spin width is determined by the existence of a vortex. In this diagram the CF compression fraction (overlap) and vortex CF fraction is 1/3; the spin width CF fraction is 2/3.

Fig.7

g10.gif

Summary

It has been shown that the diagrams used to illustrate Loop Quantum Gravity can be applied to the known structure of graphene implying that the mathematics of LQG can be re-scaled (if necessary) to match particle and atomic structures; doing so reveals the presence of gravitons making gravitons available for experimental investigation. It follows that using QT to construct 3 dimensional graphs of of atomic structure will make it possible to both study and experiment with molecular structure in a way not possible at present.

1 Applications of negative dimensional tensors, Roger Penrose, in Combinatorial Mathematics and its Applications, Academic Press (1971)

2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_network

3 H. P. Boehm, A. Clauss, G. O. Fischer, U. Hofmann (1962). "Das Adsorptionsverhalten sehr dünner Kohlenstoffolien". Zeitschrift für anorganische und allgemeine Chemie 316 (3–4): 119–127. doi:10.1002/zaac.19623160303.

4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Garrett_Lisi

5 Spin Networks and Quantum Gravity, Carlo Rovelli and Lee Smolin, Physical Review D 53, 5743 (1995); gr-qc/9505006.

6 http://www2.imperial.ac.uk/~wdonovan/documents/essay.pdf (page 22 lower left diagram).

7“Quantum gravity by Carlo Rovelli (Operator H Fig. 1.4 page 25)

8http://www.phys.psu.edu/people/display/index.html?person_id=38;mode=research;submode=publications;selected=1

9 Composite Fermions by Jainendra K. Jain. Cambridge University Press. ISBN: 9780511282249

Edited by elas

This proposal will be developed using structures of carbon; [6]C[12] being the only atom with a perfect structural balance. The perfect balance is deduced from the single Electron Binding Energy (table below) indicating that all the electrons form a single (s1) shell. The fact that experimental observation reveals two shells can be attributed to the compression created by the insertion of energy during the experiment; alternatively it is possible that the act of forming a single one atom thick layer (graphene) causes a re-alignment of the electron structure. The result in either case is that 6 electrons and the atomic nucleus total seven bodies of mass; which happens to be the largest number of bodies that can be used to create an equidistance assembly, hence the perfect structural balance that will be used throughout this article.

Let me stop you here. What do you mean by structural balance? There are many atoms that can achieve a similar electron configuration. I don't know what you mean by an "s1" shell either. A free carbon atom in the ground state has a [ce] 2s^{2} 2p^{2} [/ce] configuration. A carbon atom in a stable 4-valent state forms a set of molecular orbitals with [ce] T_{d} [/ce] symmetry*. The reference to an "s1" shell is incorrect unless you are referring to some other nomenclature.

* The symmetry about a carbon atom in a graphene sheet should be [math] C_{3v} [/math] IIRC.

The fact that experimental observation reveals two shells can be attributed to the compression created by the insertion of energy during the experiment; alternatively it is possible that the act of forming a single one atom thick layer (graphene) causes a re-alignment of the electron structure.

I was not aware of this realignment of electron structure. The hybridization scheme for graphene is almost the same as that of graphite. The only difference is the lack of [math] \pi [/math]-stacking interactions that are normal to the plane defined by the rings. Theses stacking interactions make only a small contribution to the electronic structure as they are less energetic than any covalent bond. The symmetry is the same as graphite so the set of molecular orbitals is the same.

Not really sure how gravitons tie into any of this either. Have you ever calculated the force of gravity between two carbon atoms at 140 pm apart? This is the bond length between two carbon atoms in a 6-membered aromatic ring.

Edited by mississippichem

Let me stop you here. What do you mean by structural balance? There are many atoms that can achieve a similar electron configuration. I don't know what you mean by an "s1" shell either. A free carbon atom in the ground state has a [ce] 2s^{2} 2p^{2} [/ce] configuration. A carbon atom in a stable 4-valent state forms a set of molecular orbitals with [ce] T_{d} [/ce] symmetry*. The reference to an "s1" shell is incorrect unless you are referring to some other nomenclature.

It should read 1s. ‘The Elements’ by John Emsley, Oxford University Press and ‘Handbook of Chemistry and Physics’ (CRC) give the Electron Binding Energy for carbon as 1s 284.2ev.

g11.gif

This is the graphene hybridization scheme shown in orange (and other colours in other diagrams) on:

invsee.asu.edu/nmodules/carbonmod/bonding.html

the length of the dashed lines are equal to each other, the atoms of no other element have this equadistance balance.

Not really sure how gravitons tie into any of this either. Have you ever calculated the force of gravity between two carbon atoms at 140 pm apart? This is the bond length between two carbon atoms in a 6-membered aromatic ring.

Gravitons are distorted by the presence of mass. Gravitational force is a measurement of the force acting on the graviton long axis. The force acting on the graviton short axis is the Casimir force and it is Casmir’s force rules that should be applied in order to calculate the force acting across the gap between carbon atoms in a graphene layer.

Edited by elas

Hybridization

The problem with the current hybridization interpretation is that it does not include an explanation of unfilled space

The concept of space as a crystal structure was originally proposed by Plato, there are numerous papers available on Google; none of these papers mention the role of gravity or graviton; as a result papers on assemblies of crystal structures also have empty spaces for which there is no interpretation.

The proposal on this forum fills the ‘empty space’ with gravitons and shows the role gravitons play in the structure.On previous submissions I showed that while G force is low when measured at a particular point (compared to other forces) the total force acting on the radii of all particles is the same for all particles (including the graviton); the difference in measurement at any particular point is caused by differences in radii length.

Fig. 4 shows that the radial force of four gravitons is acting on each electron and it is the radial force of twelve gravitons that cause the electrons to overlap in the manner shown by experiment and described in Composite Fermions theory.

• 1 month later...

It seems that I fail to make my point on Science Forums, probably an age related problem; but an in-law is a high ranking industrial consultant through whom I made contact with a graphene researcher and a senior industrial particle physicist. Two hours of questioning with the researcher was sufficient to show that he was interested and unable to find fault with my proposal. The particle physicist took three months to come back to my in-law with his view of my particle physics proposals, he too could not find any fault and in his view the work should be published.

However the lack of a university background and the need for academic references means that my submissions are rejected by the auto-program without anyone actually reading the submission.

After 21 years I have decided it's time to stop batting my head againgst a brick wall; instead I have taken up painting and will not be contributing further to Science Forums. My thanks to those few who made the constructive criticisms that enabled me to get this far in the pursuit of the corpuscular simplicity predicted by Newton, the outcome is dissapointing, but the journey was rewarding,

regards

elas

It seems that I fail to make my point on Science Forums, probably an age related problem; but an in-law is a high ranking industrial consultant through whom I made contact with a graphene researcher and a senior industrial particle physicist. Two hours of questioning with the researcher was sufficient to show that he was interested and unable to find fault with my proposal. The particle physicist took three months to come back to my in-law with his view of my particle physics proposals, he too could not find any fault and in his view the work should be published.

However the lack of a university background and the need for academic references means that my submissions are rejected by the auto-program without anyone actually reading the submission.

After 21 years I have decided it's time to stop batting my head againgst a brick wall; instead I have taken up painting and will not be contributing further to Science Forums. My thanks to those few who made the constructive criticisms that enabled me to get this far in the pursuit of the corpuscular simplicity predicted by Newton, the outcome is dissapointing, but the journey was rewarding,

regards

elas

elas,

If you think your particle physics proposal is good enough to be peer-reviewed and published, then you should look for academic researchers who DO have experience/credentials/whatever and team up with them. Researchers *want* to get work published, so if they find no flaw with your theory, it can be published.

The forum is a good place to get various questions or criticism on one's work, but it's not really a way to find publication. There are many universities out there with physicists who do research in the area you are interested with. I'm sure if you contact a few of them, you might have a chance to have someone actually go over it.

My suspicion, however (judging from the criticism I've seen so far) is that there might be more problems than you'd think in your proposal. That said, the only way to actually know if you should or shouldn't give up is to try a different approach. That, however, is completely up to you.

Regardless, I wish you luck in whatever you do. Painting sounds awesome. I wish I had the talent for it.

~mooey