How do you know if a computer's 32- or 64- bit?

Baby Astronaut

I want to download and install Linux Mint, but they give two versions for download: 32-bit or 64-bit. How do I find out which is the correct one to use?

Then, after I download it, how would I go about creating the Live DVD? -- Simply burn the files onto a blank DVD? If so, would it have autorun included by default? Or is that something I'd have to add onto the disk somehow?

If you currently have Windows installed in your computer then go to Start> Right click on My Computer and then on Properties. Under System you will find which built your computer is of.

Simply burn the files to disk.

32-bit would be the safe option(it will work whether your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit) if you have a modern computer, chances are 64-bit.

What processor do you have?

To burn the DVD, you can't just write the file onto the disc, you need to tell your burner software that it is a disc image you are burning. if you tell us what burning software you use we can give you more detailed instructions.

There will be no autorun, and there is no need for one. It is bootable media so all you have to do is leave it in your drive and reboot. your computer should then restart running from the dvd and not touching the harddrive.

Speccy will tell you what version of Windows you have: 32 or 64.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Imgburn will burn the Mint iso...choose 'Write Image File to Disk' and select a slow speed.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/ImgBurn.shtml

I use these and know they are ok.

Edited by StringJunky

The computer doesn't have an operating system, so I can't run programs or find out settings. But it's an AMD Athlon X2 4400+ 2.3 GHz, with 2GB DDR2 800MHz.

@insane The burning software is probably NERO which is on a friend's computer. I don't know the version, but it's fairly recent (within three years or so).

Sorry BA I assumed that you were dual-booting. According to this you can run either:

http://products.amd.com/pages/desktopcpudetail.aspx?id=53&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

You could get both LiveCD/DVD versions of Mint which will allow you to test them live before installing...runs slower though. Installing Mint should only take about half an hour to fully install and be usable so you won't lose much time if things don't work out...it's not like Windows which takes an age to set up. You've made a good choice.

Edited by StringJunky

The computer doesn't have an operating system, so I can't run programs or find out settings. But it's an AMD Athlon X2 4400+ 2.3 GHz, with 2GB DDR2 800MHz.

@insane The burning software is probably NERO which is on a friend's computer. I don't know the version, but it's fairly recent (within three years or so).

then its probably 32-bit. its safer to go with that option.