MD vs. PhD/MBA

aphymans

Hi everyone,

Okay, so I am a third year chemistry major trying to decide my career path. Initially, I was set on medical school, but as I'm learning about where medicine is headed, I'm second-guessing my decision (I would be talking MCATs this summer, so I feel like some last-minute reflection is necessary). Not only was I interested in the science aspect of medicine, but I was also intrigued by the entrepreneurial aspect of starting or working in a private practice where there would be a business component to my career. However, as private practices are being bought out by corporate hospitals, I feel as though this aspect (which is very important to me) will be going away. Therefore, I'm curious what opportunities a PhD/MBA would offer me. Basically, I'm looking to combine my passions for chemistry, medicine, and business into one career. I will admit that money is a factor in my career choice, and that my ULTIMATE goal, however far-fetched it may seem, is to become a partner in a venture capital firm. Does anyone have any advice on what routes are possible after college to achieve this type of goal? I know it's a bit different from practicing medicine, but I can't seem to find any advice on how to get there.

Thank you very much.

I would say if you just want to make money do an MBA. PhD doesn't tend to pay super well, and you'd probably be in grad school for a while. If you want to do MD then do it because you're passionate about it, not because you want to make money.

Since some medical and pharmacological research firms allow employees to use their facilities to do their own research on their own time after their work for the company is over for the day, having an MD/PhD may provide you with an avenue for entrepreneurship in developing your own innovations through research. A friend of mine with an MD/DPharm exploited just such an option, took the drug he developed with his employers' lab facilities on his own time to market, and now eats $100-bills for breakfast.

I want to tell you that MD is suitable for you because MD pertains to a higher degree in medicine. A person that has a MD degree can prescribe medicines where as a person with a PhD cannot prescribe medicines. A person gets a MD degree after two years of course work and two years of rotational work in some hospital or clinic. For more information you may get help from here http://www.thedegreeexperts.com/online-degree.aspx