Coke Cola and Coffee

Monster92

Caffeine inhibits adenosine receptors, and I've heard that this can cause the body to generate calcium. Perhaps this can be making you hungry?

I've noticed that I can't have too much black coffee on an empty stomach or it doesn't agree with me. If I have a bite of something the slight nausea goes away, but I'm not really eating for the hunger.

Do you get hungry immediately or a short while thereafter? Caffeine revs up the body's metabolism, so it would make sense for you to get hungrier as time goes on. Coke also has a high sugar content which may over stimulate the insulin/glycogen system leading to a "sugar crash" (speculation).

Do you get hungry immediately or a short while thereafter? Caffeine revs up the body's metabolism, so it would make sense for you to get hungrier as time goes on. Coke also has a high sugar content which may over stimulate the insulin/glycogen system leading to a "sugar crash" (speculation).

It takes a while, but can be as short as 5 minutes. Strong coffee has a much stronger effect than Cola. (We call it 'cola' in the Netherlands, which on the other side of the Atlantic often got me a 'soda' by accident because you guys all call it 'coke', and the barman just misunderstood... but that's completely off-topic).

p.s. should this be in one of the medical science subforums?

Edited by CaptainPanic

Well from a personal point of view i take in huge ammounts of caffine a day and i never eat at work. Only when i get home to drink water with my meal. For some reason caffine supresses my appitite and from what ive herd thats more common than making you hungry.

Caffeine revs up the body's metabolism, so it would make sense for you to get hungrier as time goes on.

Caffeine suppresses adenosine, a hormone that calms you, makes you drowsy. The feeling of being "wired" is the combination of a lack of adenosine, a little adrenaline and the rush that any addict gets from a "fix" of their drug of choice.

One of the side-effects of too much caffeine is nausea, so maybe that "hollow" feeling you're getting isn't hunger but nausea? I get that sometimes after my 6th cup or so that there's this empty feeling that equates to hunger, but when I eat it just gets worse. So, it could possibly be that you're just genetically predisposed to experiencing the effects of caffeine at lower doses?

Is it just nausea or do you get jittery/hyper or more alert as well? Any other symptoms?

Well from a personal point of view i take in huge ammounts of caffine a day and i never eat at work. Only when i get home to drink water with my meal. For some reason caffine supresses my appitite and from what ive herd thats more common than making you hungry.

Im the same.... Coffee for breakfast, then work till 4 or 5 at the practice. I never eat during the day , yet there is no agitiation from the caffeine. I looked it up once and the mechanism as usual for appetite supression is "poorly understood'

DH