Social engineering

well, i am a hacker. social engineering is a big part of what i do. it has come to my attention some people are easier to "break" than others. i have been wondering why this is for a couple months now. why are some people easier to succumb to pressure than others?

why are their some people that can take all the pain in the world and not do anything while others will spill any thing the opposition wants after being tickled or something like that?

Edit: also, why do some people have more of a threshold of pain than others?

if these questions are stupid, pleez don't flame me or anything.

Wow... way to put it blunt. (No real hacker would just say "I'm a hacker"). But to answer your question. It all depends on the experiences of a person. Experiences can either make a person insecure, or make them insensitive.

For example a Russian KGB officer has pain thresholds so high that it almost scares me. My theory is that each time a person experiences pain, their mind limit for pain increases because they have gotten used to it.

As for social engineering, its mainly based on how good you are, not how weak your targets are. Anyways, dont try to act like Mitnick please, i've seen enough of that.

Ultimately it all depends on their experiences

I hate it when people use the term Engineering where it should not be.

What is it that you are engineering with Social Engineering?

Engineering deals with tangible items.

As for those social topics you talk of, I won't bother, as that is not my field.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah... you call a business... you speak their lingo... you get information you shouldn't be able to get...

or you pose as a customer to get stuff you shouldn't be able to get... you notice that a local school got new computers... you call the company they ordered from and claim to be the school, telling them that you need a replacement, because one of them was DOA... have them tell you exactly when the replacement will arrive, and meet them at the door, wearing something that makes you look like the school's "computer guy" (love that term, lol)

I mean, the above example may not be tangible... but it's just an example

and social engineering... mainly has to do with the system your exploiting... not the people involved...

this kid probably "socially engineered" some pizza, because there are plenty of guides how to do it on the internet...

and yes, the engineering does belong there...

en·gi·neer·ing

n.

1. The application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as the design, manufacture, and operation of efficient and economical structures, machines, processes, and systems.

2. The profession of or the work performed by an engineer.

2. Skillful maneuvering or direction: geopolitical engineering; social engineering.

The answer is pretty simple. You are probably using methods of deception in whatever it is you are doing. Its not that hard to make someone beleive something that isnt true. Its called being a used car salesman.

I cant even begin to think of what reason a hacker would have to try and "break" someone. Are you threatening them? If not, you arent "breaking them", you are deceiving them. And where in the world of computer hacking does pain threshold come into the equation. What exactly is it that you are doing. We need more details to answer your question.

well' date=' i am a hacker. social engineering is a big part of what i do. it has come to my attention some people are easier to "break" than others. i have been wondering why this is for a couple months now. why are some people easier to succumb to pressure than others?

why are their some people that can take all the pain in the world and not do anything while others will spill any thing the opposition wants after being tickled or something like that?

Edit: also, why do some people have more of a threshold of pain than others?

if these questions are stupid, pleez don't flame me or anything.[/quote']

because they don't understand the power of thier own minds. so they don't get that they control the pain, or that it is a choice you make when it comes to allowing things to bother you.

your mind is a powerful tool. and so many people don't know the power of thier own minds.

fear is the mindkiller.

I don't understand the idea of pain threshold having anything to do with social engineering.

Social engineering could be seen as similart to a con game.

The trick is convincing a human to do something they aren't supposed to that is advantagous to the person pulling the trick. Usually without the knowlege that they did so.

Torture is not social engineering.

Everyone hates inflexable procedures....

However for security reasons they can be very important.

Just some thoughts.

-Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Well "hacker" what makes you "give in" how far can you push your self. Some people have Integrity that is supported by will power

Many people are not in touch with their position on an issue there for cant defend some thing when they have no motivation to.

more details please