1. 1. Race to space.

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea
    • No Opinion

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should there be a privately owned operation to send the public to vacation in space?

What kind of a retard would want to visit a void.... and PAY for it..... I can't beleive how stupid some people are......

How about I set up a resort in my toilet...... under the rim, the final frontier.

I think a lot of people would love to visit space, including me. It's a whole new experience without gravity and all. I always used to want to be an astronaut when I was a child.

Well I guess the 0 gravity would be an up side..... however everything else is worthless, the experience would be equal to a VR simulator here on earth, you'd never get to do a space walk or anything.... I mean if it was the moon, that might be cool, but just to go in a ship and view earth from orbit.... nothing you couldnt do on a wide screen TV.

Its nothing a Simulator can't do though. Also what about the huge waste of resouces to basically travel nowhere.... its a waste of money and resources.... I'm having an idea, pay me $100k and you can travel in my VR simulator, I'll just tell you its space.... Total Recall anyone?

Extremely. You want an objective argument? As I said, its a waste of resources, they could take a holiday here on earth. They could use a simulator and the experience would be exactly the same, except for 0 G, if they want 0 G they could go on that plane that simulates it with freefall.... if they want be a pilot, fly a plane.

Extremely. You want an objective argument? As I said, its a waste of resources, they could take a holiday here on earth. They could use a simulator and the experience would be exactly the same, except for 0 G, if they want 0 G they could go on that plane that simulates it with freefall.... if they want be a pilot, fly a plane.

No, it would not be the same at all.

Going into orbit and seeing the planet curving away from you, and the blackness beyond it, will be a singular and breathtaking experience that no visual simulation can possibly approach. Actually having been there, further removed from your natural habitat than you will ever again be once in your short life, is incomparable to what is essentially watching TV. Leaving the planet behind - even if only for a short time - is a truly pioneering step in humanity's development, and a tremendous accomplishment for the individual (even if it does come down to money).

You say "they could take a holiday here on earth", but one could easily spend the £115k Virgin will be charging for space excursions, and not even approach the scale of experience that is being offered.

The point is that you are unilaterally calling it "a waste" when in fact it will be anything but that to a great number of people.

Justify spending that many resources on sending people into space just for a holiday. Once you do that perhaps I'll accept your argument that it isnt a waste. Do you beleive the earth has unlimited resources? Do you think that spending them on luxuries like space travel for holidays is better than spending them on say; welfare, humanitarian aid and development of sustainable energy? And thats just naming a few.

Oh, was that the point, I didn't miss that one, I realise alot of people are ignorant of this argument. I thought perhaps "the point" was a good reason for space tourism.

Justify spending that many resources on sending people into space just for a holiday. Once you do that perhaps I'll accept your argument that it isnt a waste. Do you beleive the earth has unlimited resources? Do you think that spending them on luxuries like space travel for holidays is better than spending them on say; welfare, humanitarian aid and development of sustainable energy? And thats just naming a few.

I can't exactly justify that on behalf of somebody else, can I? Likewise I can hardly condemn it.

Like it or not, space tourism has an important role to play in the next chapter of human existence. I can't quite believe I am writing something that sounds this overly-grandiose, but the fact is that humanity must spread to other worlds and in order for us to do this a part of the population is going to have to migrate.

No matter how ridiculously small and wasteful these trips may be, they are the beginning of a neccesary process of acclimatisation. By giving some people the ability to make small steps into space we are making the possibility of off-world travel and work much more 'real' in everyday life, and paving the way for exploration and colonisation to take their place in the social consciousness as fact and not fiction.

Now, you might think that the resources we are expending on this sort of enterprise (if you'll pardon the appalling pun) is a waste, but if it ensures that humanity has a better chance of thriving and spreading throughout the galaxy then it is worth it by anybody's standards.

You know perfectly well that if it doesn't happen, the equivalent resources will not magically go to "good causes". The service will be operated by a corporation and utilised with people so staggeringly rich that they either donate generously already, or never would - either way it makes no odds.

Your issue is with the way funds are circulated in the Western economy, not with this venture in particular. You might as well rant about designer labels or sports cars.

Like it or not' date=' space tourism has an important role to play in the next chapter of human existence. I can't quite believe I am writing something that sounds this overly-grandiose, but the fact is that humanity [b']must[/b] spread to other worlds and in order for us to do this a part of the population is going to have to migrate.

No matter how ridiculously small and wasteful these trips may be, they are the beginning of a neccesary process of acclimatisation. By giving some people the ability to make small steps into space we are making the possibility of off-world travel and work much more 'real' in everyday life, and paving the way for exploration and colonisation to take their place in the social consciousness as fact and not fiction.

Now, you might think that the resources we are expending on this sort of enterprise (if you'll pardon the appalling pun) is a waste, but if it ensures that humanity has a better chance of thriving and spreading throughout the galaxy then it is worth it by anybody's standards.

Well, ok, now you're getting somewhere. However the way I see it, humanity has 3 billion years untill the sun begins to nova, this is a LOOOOOONG³ time, by wasting resources unecessarily now, we may have only a short time untill our planet becomes a wasteland. Now, since there hasnt been any M type planets even discovered yet, it is a choice between staying here and making this world as good as possible, or making this world a wasteland and moving to another even more barren wasteland. I prefer to make this world better.

You know perfectly well that if it doesn't happen' date=' the equivalent resources will [u']not[/u] magically go to "good causes". The service will be operated by a corporation and utilised with people so staggeringly rich that they either donate generously already, or never would - either way it makes no odds.

Your issue is with the way funds are circulated in the Western economy, not with this venture in particular. You might as well rant about designer labels or sports cars.

Yes I know this, this is why I feel free to gripe at any extravagantly wasteful actions. I know I am a bit of a hypocrite myself, with my car and my computer, and my fan heater.... but on a scale compared with space tourism this is a like a drop in the bucket. Yes, I am a Humanist who thinks Humans stink.

Sorcerer:

Make your simulator and we'll see who's making the profit. You have until 2007 to build and market it (Virgin is up in 2007' date=' right?).[/quote']

I'd rather wait and see if virgin make a profit... if they do then I may offer the simulator as a cheap option. Its always the better marketing strategy to piggyback on someone elses market, rather than risk your neck with your own :P