Here's a great riddle I made up based on the movie "Wishmaster"

I came up with a clever riddle that is based on Wes Craven's Wishmaster, so far nobody's been able to guess the answer; although I'm sre there are solutions which I haven't thought of.

One day a woman finds an ancient fire opal, out of which emerges an evil demon called the djinn, who demands that she make three wishes. Upon the granting of the third wish, the djinn's brethren shall be released from hell to wreak havoc upon the Earth. He tells her that he must grant anything she wishes; limited only by her imagination. Frantic to save the Earth, the woman's first wish is that the djinn should kill itself; thus the djinn conjures a pistol and shoots itself in the head, which promptly heals, proving that the djinn is indestructible, while at the same time proving that the djinn is able to interpret her wishes in ways which she did not intend. Next, the woman wishes for the djinn to return from whence it came from; thus the djinn returns to hell, and promptly reappears before the woman.

By now the woman has realized that the djinn can neither be killed, or rendered powerless by any wish she may direct directly at the djinn. Knowing this, as well as the djinn's freedom to interpret wishes, what can she wish that will leave the djinn helpless forever?

P.S. here's a hint: what is written on the back of this card is false. What is written on the front of this card is true.

I came up with a clever riddle that is based on Wes Craven's Wishmaster, so far nobody's been able to guess the answer; although I'm sre there are solutions which I haven't thought of.

One day a woman finds an ancient fire opal, out of which emerges an evil demon called the djinn, who demands that she make three wishes. Upon the granting of the third wish, the djinn's brethren shall be released from hell to wreak havoc upon the Earth. He tells her that he must grant anything she wishes; limited only by her imagination. Frantic to save the Earth, the woman's first wish is that the djinn should kill itself; thus the djinn conjures a pistol and shoots itself in the head, which promptly heals, proving that the djinn is indestructible, while at the same time proving that the djinn is able to interpret her wishes in ways which she did not intend. Next, the woman wishes for the djinn to return from whence it came from; thus the djinn returns to hell, and promptly reappears before the woman.

By now the woman has realized that the djinn can neither be killed, or rendered powerless by any wish she may direct directly at the djinn. Knowing this, as well as the djinn's freedom to interpret wishes, what can she wish that will leave the djinn helpless forever?

P.S. here's a hint: what is written on the back of this card is false. What is written on the front of this card is true.

Don't make a third wish?

The riddle asks what "wish" would render the djinn powerless; which by definition excludes simply not making the wish, and as anyone who's actually seen Wishmaster would know, that isn't an option anyway.

"anyone who's actually seen Wishmaster would know, that isn't an option anyway. "

According to the wiki article the film Wishmaster" grossed about $15M

If they each paid a dollar (which would be cheap) then 15 million people went to see it.

There are roughly 6 billion on the planet.

For the benefit of the roughly 99.75% of the population who didn't see the film, could you explain the rules of this riddle fully.

Thanks

The riddle asks what "wish" would render the djinn powerless; which by definition excludes simply not making the wish, and as anyone who's actually seen Wishmaster would know, that isn't an option anyway.

Ah good point haha.

I'm not sure there really is an absolute answer is there? I mean the genie is allow to interpret the wishes however he wants. Seems to me that any wish is almost certain to could be distorted to meet the needs of the djinn.

Farmboy, you're on the right track. The solution obviously requires, then, that the wish leave absolutely no room for malevolent interpretation.

The rules of the riddle are these: 1) the woman has no choice but to make the wish. 2) no wish which is directed directly against the djinn can harm it. 3) the djinn has no choice but to grant the wish, whether it wants to or not.

And one more hint; it can be assumed that the djinn does not grant the wishes in 0 time; in other words he requires a short but finite amount of time to grant each wish, and during that time he can do nothing else.

Edited by Fanghur

She must make a wish of " go to hell and kill your brethen."

Djinn's brethen is expected to be like him so he cant possibly kill it.

thus they would remain fighting in the hell 4ever.

i think that's a happy ending

OK; since it's only a matter of time before one of you guesses it, I'll just come right out and reveal my solution.

Her third wish should be "I wish you will not grant me this wish or any other wish." As this will effectively trap the djinn in an endless loop; the only way to grant the wish is to NOT grant it, but by not granting it he in fact WOULD be granting it, which means that he couldn't have granted it, which is impossible because that would be granting it...ad infinitum.

I would have thought my reference to the card paradox would be a dead give-away. lol.

Just to be on the safe side, make him count slower, say once a minute.

I didn't want the djinn to get bored! More seriously I didn't want to get into a debate about how much time would elapse if the Djinn could could with infinite speed.

OK; since it's only a matter of time before one of you guesses it, I'll just come right out and reveal my solution.

Her third wish should be "I wish you will not grant me this wish or any other wish." As this will effectively trap the djinn in an endless loop; the only way to grant the wish is to NOT grant it, but by not granting it he in fact WOULD be granting it, which means that he couldn't have granted it, which is impossible because that would be granting it...ad infinitum.

I would have thought my reference to the card paradox would be a dead give-away. lol.

I would have thought that this is similar to "not making the wish" which was explicitely excluded from the possible options.

If you do not make the wish, don't you effectively wish not to make a wish?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to be on the safe side, make it a 30 ft. pole.

The safe side would be to tell the djinn to go up and down a 30 ft. pole while counting to infinity at an interval of 1 minute for each number. Upon each spoken even number I should receive a million dollars in my bank account. Upon each odd number, a new break through in medical science should be made that finds cures for diseases that were previously thought incurable. While's he at it, he can also end world hunger once he reaches the number 100. The benevolence of the djinn would be seen world-wide. Statues of it would be made in his honor... which would only slowly torture him on the inside as he realizes that he will never obtain the chance to destroy the world.

Problem Solved.