Earthquake lights

jamiestem

I think this is a real phenomenon with a longstanding unproven hypothesis that it is due to piezoelectric electricity from breaking rock during an earthquake. There are a couple of other hypotheses that are also unproven. The only explanation that can be ruled out as a hoax or conspiracy theory is attributing this to HAARP. SM

SMF, I've often wondered about the piezoelectric theory. It strikes me that it seems very reasonable and the "Earthquake Lights" are a form of Aurora caused by localised changes in magnetic field. That they don't show up for every earthquake makes me think that they are also dependent on local atmospheric conditions as well to produce a light show, but the mag field variation should be there almost always.

One wonders if it is possible to predict or at least give warning of an earthquake by measuring localised magnetic field changes from space.

• 1 month later...

SMF, I've often wondered about the piezoelectric theory. It strikes me that it seems very reasonable and the "Earthquake Lights" are a form of Aurora caused by localised changes in magnetic field. That they don't show up for every earthquake makes me think that they are also dependent on local atmospheric conditions as well to produce a light show, but the mag field variation should be there almost always.

One wonders if it is possible to predict or at least give warning of an earthquake by measuring localised magnetic field changes from space.

I would think that until the actual earthquake, there wouldn't be a whole lot of detectable changes. Just a thought though, maybe instead of in space, maybe sensors in wells over, say, 300 feet?

• 1 year later...

This video is kinda grainy but I have read many reports of lights in the sky when an earthquake appears, why might that happen?

Is this HAARP, that also seems to come up a lot?

Before earth quake, many molecular bonds which construct rocks between two plates are broken.

So the plate face is charged + or - .

In the earth system electric charge might be neutralized.

The phenomena is one of the electric charge neutralizing process.

This is an assumption. Many researches are required.

earthquake.jpg

Before and during the first of the New Madrid quakes of 1811-12 there were many reports of brilliant lights across the skies. Recently seismologists have attributed the lights to quartz crystals rubbing together, gas pockets exploding, ball lightening, and/or charged rock.

All these are possibilities and probably did occur. The only problem with these theories, concerning the New Madrid quake on December 16, 1811, is that most all of the reports came from distances that were way too far to be naturally occurring earthquake lights and most state "meteoric" or "going across the skies". There were reports from the entire east coast, some as far as Savannah Georgia. Just before the first quake on December 16, 1811 at approx. 2:30 a.m. there were many reports of extreme brightness. A man in Louisville Kentucky said it was so bright he could see a needle on the floor.

It is my belief that the earthquake that occurred in 1811 was the result of a meteor impact to Northeastern Marshall County, Mississippi. I have put much of my research on this site: http://koolkreations...kalopins-legacy ,"Kalopins Legacy","wix","documents and links","A Few Comments on 1811". Also "A Theory of Cometary Associations with Earthquakes". This is really just a starting point to what was a great cometary catastrophe. Find the truths behind the myths...

Many times lights have been noticed before and during earthquakes. It may be that there are numerous explanations, some coincidence, some from the force of tectonic plates, but maybe, possibly an impact from a meteor? Let me know what you think about my research.

Edited by Kalopin

A very quick literature search leads to the following conclusion:

1) Earthquake lights are a real phenomenon.

2) We do not know what causes them.

3) Many ingenious explanations have been proposed.

4) Most involve some change to the magnetic field.

5) If we could figure out what was happening then they could be a very useful prediction tool.