Usage of Piezoelectric Crystals to strengthen and create energy efficient security measures

jerryyu

Hi Jerryyu, you are doing a pretty good job with your project, but I see a couple of problems. I did a Google search for "piezoelectric security system" and got a large number of hits. If originality in projects is important you will have to be able to distinguish your idea from the already commercial ones that are available. Also your calculations of the cost of electricity for a 100 watt security system left on 24 hours/day seem to be off. I calculate that 100 watts for one hour is 0.1 kilowatt hours X 24 hours/day X 365 days/year X $0.15 (15 cents per kilowatt hour in California where I live) = $131.40 for the electricity cost per year.

Good luck. SM

Edited by SMF

thank you for bring up the originality issue, i did go back and point out what makes my project unique from what had already been said on piezoelectric security on the last paragraph of my summary and conclusion. Thank you once again, I seriously appreciate you point that out. One more thing though, where did I talk about a 100 watt security system, I couldn't remember and i couldn't find where that's at

Jerryyu, I read your project that you linked to, and in it you made the case for how much electricity could be saved by having it turn on by your piezoelectric trigger instead of running full time. You said that a camera would draw 50 watts and the associated electronics would draw another 50 watts (=100 watts). This sounds about right because the computer I am typing this on only draws about 50 watts. The costs for this much electricity for a year is much less than what you said. Check your calculations. SM