what science degree should i pursue?

harls

i am very interested in black holes, novae, neutron stars etc. etc. also the way the universe formed and is continuing to grow, and how the universe works on an atomic level and theories about why things work the way that they do. any ideas?

are there any online colleges that would teach such a degree? because in my line of work i cant take regular classes :/

We've got a lot of neat scientists here with varying levels of expertise. Just keep asking questions.

I would suggest you visit a college library (you don't always need to be an attending student) and work on your reading skills by picking up some books, such as physics and math books, and work on your way up. I think an important aspect to reading and doing problems in a college-level is book the following:

1) Being able to do the problem

2) Being able to understand the problem: Often involves proof via abstraction in a classroom setting

3) Be able to recall important aspects of the problem

If you can at least do some of these aspects while going through a college-level book, then you'll get a good amount of learning that you might do while dealing with a college institution.

Edited by Genecks

are there any online colleges that would teach such a degree? because in my line of work i cant take regular classes :/

You are asking about advanced topics, topics treated in depth only at the graduate level. Such topics are not particularly amenable to on-line treatments. There is a reason for the residency requirement that one finds in most PhD programs. Learning at that level is a full-time job.

Unfortunately, what everybody is saying is exactly right, if you want to learn about astrophysics you need to dedicate your life to it. That means becoming a student for 5 years undergrad and 4 years graduate, full time. Only then do you have a shot at a relevant job.

So if you really want it, is it is feasible, don't let anyone tell you it isn't. But it means quitting your job, studying full time while getting financial aid, and then when you get to graduate school, they'll pay you just enough to survive, but still enough to continue your studies. Make sure you do well in undergrad or they won't take you to graduate school. Work your butt off and eat noodles in the mean time and don't worry time flies, especially when you're studying. Oh yeah, don't fall in love or you'll never get there, unless she's rich. Good Luck.

Astronomy, astrophysics and related fields concern the study of the universe and its inhabitants like stars, planets and black holes. While astronomers generally focus on qualitative data, such as observations of stars, students of astrophysics rely on mathematical and theoretical data. Students of these discipline should expect to learn about the makeup of galaxies and the solar system. From here http://www.thedegree...cience-128.aspx you may get more information on science degrees.