Why is asthma iIncreasing in the world?

jimmydasaint

As you may have noticed, asthma is on the increase. There appear to be two forms - allergic and non-allergic. Moreover, there are an estimated 150 million people worldwide with asthma. I think the dominant form is allergic asthma. However, what are the causes?

Are they genetic, because I doubt that the genetic profile would have changed that much? Or are the changes environmental, or social? Any ideas?

Asthma Article

The 'Hygiene Hypotheis' is one idea I'm aware of whereby the relative lack of early exposure to common or key micro-organisms important to the development of a child's immune system response somehow cause them to be prone to chronic respiratory (and eczmatic) problems...the correlation between advancing industrialisation ie the resulting 'improved' level of hygiene that goes with them, and the rise of asthmatic/eczmatic problems is being explored. Ironically, it appears being exposed to excessive hygiene protocols in early life may inhibit immune function in later life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

http://www.fda.gov/biologicsbloodvaccines/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm167471.htm

Edited by StringJunky

It is also interesting in this connection that the proportion between rheumatoid and non-rheumatoid arthritis is today the inverse of what it was in the Middle Ages, as confirmed by bone deformation evidence in the graves of Medieval monasteries. All sorts of autoimmune diseases, from type 1 diabetes to lupus to asthma appear to be increasing with industrialization, so I suppose that the hygiene hypothesis is correct, although industrialization itself may be introducing some toxins which play a role. For example, there was a spike in type 1 diabetes cases in Poland in the 1970s, which was a period of increased industrialization, though I doubt that there was also some significant change in hygiene there at the time.

Perhaps the old saying is right: "Every child should eat a peck of dirt."

After doing a bit of reading, I would agree with the hygiene hypothesis. However, the wiki article seems to come up with a long list of problems related to the hypothesis and I would have to re-check some of the articles for credible content.

In medicine, the hygiene hypothesis is a hypothesis that states that a lack of early childhood exposure to infectious agents, symbiotic microorganisms (e.g., gut flora or probiotics), and parasites increases susceptibility to allergic diseases by suppressing natural development of the immune system.[1] Other diseases, such as the rise of autoimmune diseases and acute lymphoblastic leukemia in young people in the developed world, have also been linked to the hygiene hypothesis.[2][3] There is some evidence that autism is caused by an immune disease;[4][5][6][7][8] one study implicates the hygiene hypothesis as a cause of autism.[9]

Wiki

It is also interesting in this connection that the proportion between rheumatoid and non-rheumatoid arthritis is today the inverse of what it was in the Middle Ages, as confirmed by bone deformation evidence in the graves of Medieval monasteries. All sorts of autoimmune diseases, from type 1 diabetes to lupus to asthma appear to be increasing with industrialization, so I suppose that the hygiene hypothesis is correct, although industrialization itself may be introducing some toxins which play a role. For example, there was a spike in type 1 diabetes cases in Poland in the 1970s, which was a period of increased industrialization, though I doubt that there was also some significant change in hygiene there at the time.

Perhaps the old saying is right: "Every child should eat a peck of dirt."

I think you are correct in raising the idea that an increase in environmental toxins that likely goes with industrialisation may also be a contributing factor that shouldn't be ignored. What you have is two possible causes ie insufficient early onset immune system stimulation and persistent environmental chemical pollution and it's probably statistically difficult to detail the extent to which each contributes to the problem as both phenomena are part and parcel of most advanced industrialised societies.

To extend what you said if both chemical and hygiene factors are true: Society needs to breathe cleaner air and eat dirtier food! :D

Edited by StringJunky

SJ, I would be careful to attribute industrial toxins in allergic asthma. I think there are several factors which could contribute to the role of toxins in diseases like asthma. Amongst them are the following:

a) age of the subject,

b) health of the subject

c) type of environmental pollutant

d) concentration of environmental pollutant

e) type of activity performed by the subject at time of onset of symptoms...

I would be interested in understanding why asthma is more common in children from families where the parents smoke. Any ideas folks?

SJ, I would be careful to attribute industrial toxins in allergic asthma. I think there are several factors which could contribute to the role of toxins in diseases like asthma. Amongst them are the following:

a) age of the subject,

b) health of the subject

e) type of activity performed by the subject at time of onset of symptoms...

I would be interested in understanding why asthma is more common in children from family's where the parents smoke. Any ideas folks?

Point taken.

Try Googling: 'in utero smoking asthma' you miight find something there to answer your question...smoke constituents transported in utero have a detrimental effect on the foetus' developing respiratory organs... my immediate thoughts are a smoking families contribution will add to the overall concentration and prolong the exposure to the foetus of ambient smoke constituents which are transferred in utero via the expectant mother breathing hers and/or their smoke.

http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/full/167/6/917

If you get the full text and scroll down to the end of p921 and read from there it will give you the probable physiological consequences on the foetus' lungs.

Edited by StringJunky

• 6 months later...

I love how they diminish the idea that air pollution is not the primary reason why asthma is on the increase. At the same time many believe cigarettes are to blame for everything from asthma to every other disease. My older sister has asthma but I didn't get it nor did my younger brother and sister and we all grew up in the same environment. Is there an asthma gene?

I love how they diminish the idea that air pollution is not the primary reason why asthma is on the increase.

Maybe you should look up the definition of primary some time. :rolleyes:

There are studies that show that decreased rates of Helicobacter pylori colonization has been linked to increased levels of asthma in urban populations.

The hygiene hypothesis has many problems with it, mainly that it doesn't correlate with the data. It hasn't seriously been accepted as a reasoning fpr the cause of increased asthma rates for a long time.

• 4 weeks later...

As you may have noticed, asthma is on the increase. There appear to be two forms - allergic and non-allergic. Moreover, there are an estimated 150 million people worldwide with asthma. I think the dominant form is allergic asthma. However, what are the causes?

Are they genetic, because I doubt that the genetic profile would have changed that much? Or are the changes environmental, or social? Any ideas?

Asthma Article

Greetings, I have been looking into the same problems you have.

Sorry if I do not stick with conventional wisdom on this, its good to know your own body, and relate these changes to a possible cause.

Asthma is one thing, allergy is another. for better definition assume respiratory conditions are increasing.

For me, I have noticed the atmosphere is producing copious amounts of ozone, several less well know causes can be accounted for.

Lets face it, the nuclear disaster in japan is a main contributor. Radioactive material drifting around the entire world.

What does radio active mean? It means it is releasing energy.

The interaction in our atmosphere, causes a response.

water vapor in the form of cloud cover gets heated, heat causes it to evaporate quickly, leading to less cloud cover were the heating is very high.

Perhaps the drought in Texas is related to that, the radiation transforms the atmosphere leading to a huge spike in low level ozone, you may not like this answer, but it is scientifically sound.

Other causes an increase in natural gas, and methane bubbling up from pockets under ground that have reached the surface. an earth quake, or drilling in search of fuel may release the trapped pockets of gas.

This gets even more dangerous, as it is also exposed to solar rays, and even the radiation coming from nuclear plants that fail, nuclear testing, under ground testing etc.

This is not per-say the (only factors) to respiratory problems on a global scale, but is becoming evident, a main contributor. Independent study, and sampling of the air you breathe and the drinking water being consumed

Is necessary for determining cause. The amount of tolerances a body can handle is determined not by the individual, but by the quantity a species can safely tolerate.

If the quantity of these very dangerous by products find its way hovering above your home, you can be sure the clean breathable oxygen is reduced. It may even lead to brain damage, or permanent damage to the respiratory system.

My own researches verify that.

Sincerely , super-ball.

Edited by superball

Thank you for the contribution super ball. You have certainly hyper cross contextualised your information, which is an intelligent thing to do. However, correlation and causation are difficult to tell apart and I feel that you may also need more direct information about the increase in asthma. An evidential approach is necessary and can, IMHO, come from datamining information from a number of countries where the data is collected and then trends identified in a meta-analytical study.

In short, the original article I cited, presented some of the following as possible reasons for exacerbating allergic symptoms in atopic (predisposed) individuals

and suggested preventative measures:

Primary prevention

Avoid smoking and exposure to environmental tobacco

smoke, particularly during pregnancy and early childhood

(B). Tobacco smoke should be also removed from work

places (B)

Avoid damp housing conditions ©, and reduce indoor air

pollutants ©

Breastfeed exclusively until 46 months (B)*. No special

diet for the lactating mother (A)

Reduce exposure to inhalant allergens in young children at

high risk (dust mites, cockroaches, furred pets) (B)

Eliminate sensitizing and highly irritating agents in occupational

environments ©. If this is not possible, implement

measures to prevent employee exposure

Link to OP Article

At the same time sb, we also have to consider:

a) age of the subject,

b) health of the subject

e) type of activity performed by the subject at time of onset of symptoms.

Looking for a causation would include looking at the big picture and you have posited some very interesting scenarios concerning environmental changes, including increases in ground level ozone, presence of methane and natural gas. These are interesting examples of lateral and intelligent thinking but I would prefer a meta-analytical approach given the complexities of the variables above. Peace.

Edited by jimmydasaint