Finding new ways of getting our energy and crating non-polluting technologies are critical. !!!

tommy36

I read Partnering with Nature: The Wild Path to Reconnecting with the Earth, a which won the top prize for Social Change in the "Best Books 2010" competition and the book highlights a shift in the way we work with nature and the environment. From solar energy to harnessing the natural cleaning powers of nature used in a "Living Machine", that transforms waste water to potable water using plants sunlight, the book explores some of the most promising bio-industries of our time...it also highlights the rising incidence of eco-entrepreneurs and bio-technologies that can transform the way that we live and work.

"Partnering" also makes the link between human health and the environment - citing a recent study which found that Americans spend less than one hour a week outside!!! and asserts that this is leading to all kinds of physical, emotional and spiritual ailments…..

I got a copy of the book at Amazon.com and find the author's ideas to be quite revolutionary... Catriona MacGregor is seen as a leader in a rising Eco-consciousness movement… While I do not agree with everything – the book has a powerful message that illuminates the fact that our connection to nature is a vital part of our existence.

Edited by Cap'n Refsmmat
remove spam link

Why did you post a link to a place to buy it? Whilst some of the content is scientifically based, and she describes new technologies, it seems as though it's also got a lot of spiritual stuff in there. I'd prefer a nice motivating popular scientific treatment which didn't make me vomit by suggesting I heal my soul with a nice look at a tree.

Eco-consciousness is more like neo-pagan spiritualism than anything scientific. It's nice that she's motivated in the right direction, but the baggage isn't for me.

Why did you post a link to a place to buy it? Whilst some of the content is scientifically based, and she describes new technologies, it seems as though it's also got a lot of spiritual stuff in there. I'd prefer a nice motivating popular scientific treatment which didn't make me vomit by suggesting I heal my soul with a nice look at a tree.

lollaugh.gif

Eco-consciousness is more like neo-pagan spiritualism than anything scientific. It's nice that she's motivated in the right direction, but the baggage isn't for me.

That is an astute observation, but don't assume that it's a necessary or causal link. It probably wouldn't help you to hear a theological conspiracy theory that neo-pagans are trying to control eco-consciousness to drive away good Christians, either, would it? Generally, I see eco-consciousness as a further step in modernization since it ultimately increases industrial efficiency to utilize natural processes as efficiently as possible. Technically, mining loads of fossil fuel, cutting down lots of trees, and building up cities as much as possible is harnessing natural processes, such as those that created the fuels and the natural traits of the materials used to build with, etc. However, whereas log cabins use solid wood walls, saw mills cut the wood into planks that can make more wall-area per log, which is more efficient use of wood. Computers are more efficient for managing documents with less paper, and make less travel necessary along with telephones.

I think as energy conservation continues to become more important to more people, the value of tree-shade for cooling is going to become less negligible because air-conditioning is going to grow increasingly costly. When you are acclimated to living without air-conditioning, the shade of a tree feels a LOT cooler than being in direct sunlight. This doesn't mean you should hug trees, but you would probably want to if it was your best means of getting out of the heat. Plus unlike an air-conditioner, a tree doesn't require any metallurgy, replacement parts, shipping, repairs, etc. Plus, maintaining it provides you with wood that can be burnt for heat in the winter. Trees are high efficiency climate control systems that mostly self-regulate.

I'd prefer a nice motivating popular scientific treatment which didn't make me vomit by suggesting I heal my soul with a nice look at a tree.

Have you ever thought about how the trees feel ignored all the time? Hmm?

All you do is read about your 'nice motivating scientific stuff' on a fractionated and bleached tree-derivative, and you don't even give the trees a nice look. You selfish animal.

[disclaimer for people with a different sense of humor than me: this was a joke]

Generally, I see eco-consciousness as a further step in modernization since it ultimately increases industrial efficiency to utilize natural processes as efficiently as possible. Technically, mining loads of fossil fuel, cutting down lots of trees, and building up cities as much as possible is harnessing natural processes, such as those that created the fuels and the natural traits of the materials used to build with, etc. However, whereas log cabins use solid wood walls, saw mills cut the wood into planks that can make more wall-area per log, which is more efficient use of wood. Computers are more efficient for managing documents with less paper, and make less travel necessary along with telephones.

I think being more eco-conscious in the direct meaning of the word is a great thing and is part of modernization, but the eco-consciousness movement is about sharing a consciousness with nature, not about being more aware of ecology. It's the kind of "let's all express our emotions instead of having a rational debate" which leads to popular fears about GM crops and nuclear power which are not supported by the facts. Of course not every hippy is directly responsible for the misunderstanding of science, but as an attitude I wouldn't promote it.

I think as energy conservation continues to become more important to more people, the value of tree-shade for cooling is going to become less negligible because air-conditioning is going to grow increasingly costly. When you are acclimated to living without air-conditioning, the shade of a tree feels a LOT cooler than being in direct sunlight. This doesn't mean you should hug trees, but you would probably want to if it was your best means of getting out of the heat. Plus unlike an air-conditioner, a tree doesn't require any metallurgy, replacement parts, shipping, repairs, etc. Plus, maintaining it provides you with wood that can be burnt for heat in the winter. Trees are high efficiency climate control systems that mostly self-regulate.
Don't get me wrong, I think trees and plants in general are fantastic (that's why I study them) but I feel no need to have a conversation with them, hold a tree by the leaf and confess my feelings for it whilst looking deeply into its knotted bark, or settle down with a bush and start a family.

Have you ever thought about how the trees feel ignored all the time? Hmm?

All you do is read about your 'nice motivating scientific stuff' on a fractionated and bleached tree-derivative, and you don't even give the trees a nice look. You selfish animal.

Actually I read on a kindle! :D Edited by Blahah

I think being more eco-conscious in the direct meaning of the word is a great thing and is part of modernization, but the eco-consciousness movement is about sharing a consciousness with nature, not about being more aware of ecology. It's the kind of "let's all express our emotions instead of having a rational debate" which leads to popular fears about GM crops and nuclear power which are not supported by the facts. Of course not every hippy is directly responsible for the misunderstanding of science, but as an attitude I wouldn't promote it.

I know. It is a bad thing that people polarize into pro-rationality/anti-emotional vs. pro-emotional/anti-rationality. Emotions and rationality are things all people have and should recognize the value of. I consider emotionalism very dangerous, though, because people naturally cater to each other's emotional needs, so it is subtly coercive to elevate emotions to the level of worship. I suppose people could say something similar about rationality, though, if they had less control over it. And I agree that people should alienate themselves so much from science, which they often do because of emotional dissociation with scientists, because they see them as socially inept "nerds." People need to realize that science isn't about "being a scientist," but about understanding more about things and being more empowered economically/technically.

Don't get me wrong, I think trees and plants in general are fantastic (that's why I study them) but I feel no need to have a conversation with them, hold a tree by the leaf and confess my feelings for it whilst looking deeply into its knotted bark, or settle down with a bush and start a family.

Maybe not, but I think people do tend to ignore what's impressive about things like trees and animals in nature because they have been programmed to fetishize artificial objects instead. I could just as easily say that I feel no need to have a conversation with an ipod or a new pair of shoes, "holding them by the laces and confessing my feelings while looking into their intricate designs and lovely colors" but people do that, don't they? Trees are impressive living wooden structures that merit more appreciation than they usually get. Go look at a pile of wood after a tree is cut and compare the volume of the pile with the volume of the uncut tree. Then think about how much labor and engineering it would take to build a structure of similar volume from the remnants of the cut tree. Don't forget to minimize the area of the base to maximize the amount of open-air space under the canopy. It's amazing that trees do all that on their own.