Degree Question (BA,BS)

giantfan2180

The best way to do this is to send an email to the school (or the few schools) that you want to go to in grad studies and ask them directly. I doubt that there's much of a difference unless they appreciate specifically multimedia BA over any other degree, but sometimes these programs have their own preferences. You might learn they value certain courses more than others, etc.

Ask them directly, it's probably your best bet.

Good luck!

Here is an example program. This program is a collaborate effort that includes Emily Carr which is one of the more prestigious art schools in Canada. If art is your thing and you just happen to excel at using computers then I would recommend taking the art route. If you really suck at computers and you need to get your skills up to par and you excel artistically, or you would prefer to be more of a technical liaison for artists to bring their pieces to life, take the BASc or BS(pending your institutions faculty organization; computer science is a BA at UBC.)

I can't really comment on this level of education in this field. I think I can safely make comments on the field however, as I did complete a 12 month certificate program in Game Design. If you want to be an artist that works through digital media then most definitely do an arts degree, no one cares how you can do from a technical stance as long as you can do the job satisfactorily. If you want to be a technical adviser and you wish to be involved in setting the platform for artists take the technical route, but keep in mind that if you try to do both at the same time that you risk being left behind. Artists do not want the tech guys feedback, and I don't mean the computer technician, I mean the guy who does the computational effects and lighting. If the artist requests that you accomplish a certain style it will be expected. The same goes the other way around the tech guy really will not accept being told how to accomplish a given goal by an artist.

Your portfolio in the end will very clearly indicate who you are. If you are a tech guy and are in denial and are trying to be an artist everyone will know. As these are team oriented environments those who you will be trying to work with will be put off. If you don't bring magic to the team you will be abandoned to yourself. An artist who tries to know it all and run everything is not going to be seen as a team player and this plays into the same game. Do what you do best first and you will find that the rest of the pieces will come in time.

I wasn't trying to post over top of you moo, I was posting and reflecting on my post when you were posting. :)

I wasn't trying to post over top of you moo, I was posting and reflecting on my post when you were posting. :)

No worries, I think your reply is probably much better than mine, since you actually know the subject matter. I know that in physics and sciences, you are best looking up what individual programs view as the best requirements, but it's a bit different than computers and design.

Just like what Xit has shown, most Universities have minimum requirements on a master in a field, some do equalization .. and

may request more pre-requests to be done, so .. you can list all possible colleges on digital media,

then see their requirements, program, location, and ..etc .. and make your decision.

.. good luck

A Bachelor of Science in Multimedia Arts doesn't exist, but many schools offer a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in field. Other schools offer a Bachelor of Arts in Media Arts and Design with a concentration in multimedia arts and sciences. The difference between the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Fine Arts degree is that the BFA is considered a professional degree, often designed around a specialization. B.A programs, on the other hand provide a broader, more general education in the arts. For more information you may check this link http://www.thedegreeexperts.com/online-degree.aspx

Edited by Adams Baker