Pair of great danes vs a tiger, who would win?

I was just watching that old movie 'Swiss Family Robinson' and quite frankly, during the scene where the two great danes managed to scare off a fully grown tiger, I actually laughed out loud at first. I'd be absolutely astonished if the dogs could take on a tiger and live to bark the tale, but I'm not a Zoologist so I don't know for sure. The tiger might just decide that it's not worth the trouble and flee, but I'm just curious: is there any realistic chance that were a pair of fully grown great danes to viciously attack a tiger to defend their owners, that they would stand any kind of chance of winning? Or even of scaring the tiger away (which is what happened in the movie).

Personally, I think they'd get ripped to shreds.

Are you out of your mind? I doubt even 10 chiuawas could even take on a house cat, never mind a tiger. Get real.

LOL.....first, we BOTH need to get real on spelling chiwawas.

Second, animal behaviorists would vote canines as, except for mustelids, probably the meanest animal,pound for pound animal .

Third, strength in numbers. Ants on an elephant, Russians attacking NAZI's on the eastern front, 10 chiwawas on ONE tiger, OK, 20 of them, etc etc.

I was just watching that old movie 'Swiss Family Robinson' and quite frankly, during the scene where the two great danes managed to scare off a fully grown tiger, I actually laughed out loud at first. I'd be absolutely astonished if the dogs could take on a tiger and live to bark the tale, but I'm not a Zoologist so I don't know for sure. The tiger might just decide that it's not worth the trouble and flee, but I'm just curious: is there any realistic chance that were a pair of fully grown great danes to viciously attack a tiger to defend their owners, that they would stand any kind of chance of winning? Or even of scaring the tiger away (which is what happened in the movie).

Personally, I think they'd get ripped to shreds.

Well, Siberian tigers will sometimes get into trouble sneaking into villages to kill dogs, and there's really no doubt that a healthy one could put them down rather easily if it put itself into the fight. But the thing to remember is that most animals will avoid a fight if they can help it. A meal's not worth the effort if you get hurt going for it. In the wild, even an apparently mild injury could get you killed, so the prize of a human just isn't worth the effort or the risk of getting a few injuries while putting down a couple of over-sized jackals.

Also keep in mind, while Siberian tigers are massive, weighing well over 600 pounds, and Bengals more lion-sized at around 500, the island subspecies are much smaller, the extant Sumatran and extinct Javan about 300 pounds, the extinct Bali a hundred less than those, scarcely larger than a leopard, and weighing about as much or less than a pair of full grown danes, which in that case might pose a very real threat. In a real-life imagining of the story, I would imagine that the tiger would represent one of the three island species. (all weight quotes indicate males. tigresses would be even smaller by comparison)

Edited by AzurePhoenix

Well, Siberian tigers will sometimes get into trouble sneaking into villages to kill dogs, and there's really no doubt that a healthy one could put them down rather easily if it put itself into the fight. But the thing to remember is that most animals will avoid a fight if they can help it. A meal's not worth the effort if you get hurt going for it. In the wild, even an apparently mild injury could get you killed, so the prize of a human just isn't worth the effort or the risk of getting a few injuries while putting down a couple of over-sized jackals.

Also keep in mind, while Siberian tigers are massive, weighing well over 600 pounds, and Bengals more lion-sized at around 500, the island subspecies are much smaller, the extant Sumatran and extinct Javan about 300 pounds, the extinct Bali a hundred less than those, scarcely larger than a leopard, and weighing about as much or less than a pair of full grown danes, which in that case might pose a very real threat. In a real-life imagining of the story, I would imagine that the tiger would represent one of the three island species. (all weight quotes indicate males. tigresses would be even smaller by comparison)

I guess you're right, but even the tiger eventually did decide it wasn't worth the effort and ran away, there's no way in hell the dogs would escape absolutely unscathed, as they did in the movie. They would likely have gotten eviscerated by its claws as it was fleeing. Zoology 101; a cornered animal is the most dangerous type of animal.

Edited by Fanghur

• 3 months later...

I don't know, if the tiger is anything like a slightly weaker version of a lion, who can kill a lioness with one swip of their paw, then the Great Danes might run into some problems. However, I know that Brazilian mastiffs, which are roughly the size of a bull mastiff were used to hunt jaguars (and catch run away slaves, but that's besides the point).

One on one I think the tiger would win, though.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd have to say that the Great Danes wouldn't stand a chance if it came down to a fight. I understand that the situation would have to be right for it to happen, but the physical ability of a cat is much greater in terms of movement and strength. In addition, the claws and teeth of the tiger are much more effective, not to mention that the tiger's overall weight is probably similar to and probably greater than both of the dane's combined. But of course, if the dane's could work together to put the cat in a compromised position where they could get ahold of the jugular of the tiger they might have a chance. There are many variables to take into account, but the tiger is much more of a "solid" animal overall. One bite or a strong blow from the tiger could take a great dane down, I'd imagine.

My money is on the tiger!

I'd have to say that the Great Danes wouldn't stand a chance if it came down to a fight. I understand that the situation would have to be right for it to happen, but the physical ability of a cat is much greater in terms of movement and strength. In addition, the claws and teeth of the tiger are much more effective, not to mention that the tiger's overall weight is probably similar to and probably greater than both of the dane's combined. But of course, if the dane's could work together to put the cat in a compromised position where they could get ahold of the jugular of the tiger they might have a chance. There are many variables to take into account, but the tiger is much more of a "solid" animal overall. One bite or a strong blow from the tiger could take a great dane down, I'd imagine.

My money is on the tiger!

But of course, if the dane's could work together to put the cat in a compromised position where they could get ahold of the jugular of the tiger they might have a chance.

I wouldn't count out the dogs so easily mainly because of this. Wolf-pack mentality tells them to have one of them feint an attack to get the tiger to face one direction, while the other darts in to hamstring from behind. When the tiger turns around to defend, the first dog does the same thing. It's a very effective tactic, wearing down the opponent and bleeding them out.

As others have mentioned, I doubt the tiger would stick around for much of a beating, but if flight isn't an option the dogs are quick and coordinated, I could see them taking down a full-grown tiger. It wouldn't be easy but it wouldn't be impossible. Three smaller dogs (German Shepherds) would probably have a better chance with a wolf-pack type attack.

I wouldn't count out the dogs so easily mainly because of this. Wolf-pack mentality tells them to have one of them feint an attack to get the tiger to face one direction, while the other darts in to hamstring from behind. When the tiger turns around to defend, the first dog does the same thing. It's a very effective tactic, wearing down the opponent and bleeding them out.

As others have mentioned, I doubt the tiger would stick around for much of a beating, but if flight isn't an option the dogs are quick and coordinated, I could see them taking down a full-grown tiger. It wouldn't be easy but it wouldn't be impossible. Three smaller dogs (German Shepherds) would probably have a better chance with a wolf-pack type attack.

I agree that a pack of animals would be more effective than a one on one encounter i think it would take more than two to take down a tiger. A tiger is an incredibly powerful predator, it could kill a great dane or any other dog with what would amount to just a light tap compared to his full power. I tiger can kill an ox with one swipe to the head, he would carve a great dane in half. On top of that a tiger is outrageously fast compared to a dog.

Lions, which would have to be the close to the equivalent of a tiger in a one on one fight can and often do kill hyena's which are far more powerful predators than any dog. No hyena would even attempt to take on a lion without many of the pack members present. I think a tiger could easily handle several great danes...

• 1 month later...

Wow, it has been so long since I saw this movie as a kid, this certainly brings back lots of pleasant memories watching this movie with my grandparents. But I digress. I agree with you that if it were a fight to the death, the dogs wouldn't stand a chance; the tiger is bigger, faster, has lethal claws and jaws, and is far more deadly than any canine could hope to claim. However, in the real world I don't think there is any way (unless the tiger was starving) that a tiger that size would dare try to kill 'prey' that large and aggressive, much less two of them. So bottom line, if the tiger were forced into a fight to the death between Duke and Turk, the dogs would almost certainly sustain mortal injuries, although the tiger might as well, but in reality the tiger would almost certainly flee from the dogs.

• 1 month later...

Hello all.

I raise and care for English Bulldogs, so this forum caught my eye.

I used to work as a bush pilot in northern Japan and south / central Alaska. According to the stories of local Ainu and Eskimo tribsman, a pack of wolves can easily bring down an Asiatic black bear, brown bear, or even polar bear. The wolves will coordinate by having one animal snap at and distract the larger predator in front while one or two animals snap at its back legs, nipping away at its calves. Once the large predator turns around to deal with the threat from behind, the wolves will disperse, and come at the larger animal again in the exact same manner. Pack members typically switch off positions so that one does not become exhausted. Eventually, the larger predator will become too fatigued to continue to fight off the wolves. When this happens, the wolves move in all at once for the kill.

I think we'll all agree that a grizzly or polar bear is a much more formidable predator than any tiger. Now, for me anyway, the question becomes: "do Great Danes possess enough wild instinct to pull this off, or has that been wiped out by thousands of years of artificial selection?" Thats a question I cannot answer. I just don't know. Also, I fully understand that the campfire stories of rural tribesman are hardly indisputable scientific evidence. That being said, I'd trust their word over most, since they have lived with these animals every day for thousands of years.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
On 14/2/2012 at 7:33 PM, Moontanman said:

Lions, which would have to be the close to the equivalent of a tiger in a one on one fight can and often do kill hyena's which are far more powerful predators than any dog. No hyena would even attempt to take on a lion without many of the pack members present. I think a tiger could easily handle several great danes...

Your analogy is wrong, since male great danes are taller and heavier than hyenas. Female hyenas (which are bigger than males) only average 58 kg, and no hyena has ever been found weighing over 90 kg:

https://books.google.es/books?id=2TFOi5OwhD0C&pg=PA439&dq=hyenas+average+weight&hl=es&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP4MG6rNXdAhWjxoUKHZuxBU8Q6AEILzAB#v=onepage&q=hyenas average weight&f=false

On the other hand, male great danes average 65 kg, with the biggest male ever recorded weighing 111 kg:

https://books.google.es/books?id=RSxHDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT20&dq=great+danes+average+weight+male&hl=es&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8r9_Lr9XdAhWkyYUKHRiVAqUQ6AEIMjAB#v=onepage&q=great danes average weight male&f=false

Two might be not enough in real life, but three big 80 kg Great Danes could definetely make run away a tiger. Lionesses are considerably smaller than male lions, yet only two lionesses are enough to they make a lion run away. 

So three 80 kg Great Danes definetely can scare away a tiger.

The Tiger would probably be ok for up to ten great danes. Great Danes should not be compared to wild animals. They are clumsy and slow, and have a much weaker bite than a much smaller wolf would.

In the wild, Tigers have stood off packs of 50 dholes, the asian hunting dogs. But there have been reports of packs of up to 80 or even 100, and for sure they could do a tiger some damage. What people forget though, is that a Tiger is an excellent tree climber, so the reports of huge packs of dholes killing a Tiger are probably about sick old infirm or injured Tigers. 

Tigers are solitary killers, so if anything they are more formidable killers than Lions, which tend to bite and hold, rather than go for the single handed kill. Lone Tigers can and sometimes do kill wild Gaur, which are the world's biggest wild cattle, sometimes more than a ton in weight and bigger than the American Bison. A couple of clumsy Great Danes are not in the same league. They would be dead in seconds.

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 7:41 PM, mistermack said:

In the wild, Tigers have stood off packs of 50 dholes, the asian hunting dogs. But there have been reports of packs of up to 80 or even 100, a

Citation?

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 7:41 PM, mistermack said:

What people forget though, is that a Tiger is an excellent tree climber,

Adult Tigers can climb trees, but they are not excellent tree climbers. They are too heavy and don't have a good built.

In general, Leopards safely stay up the trees and Tigers rule the land.

Edited by Itoero

1 hour ago, Itoero said:

Citation?

Too long ago, but it's pretty much what I read. Wikpedia says packs of over 40 have been observed. Maybe they are rarer now, I'm remembering from fifty years ago. The quote was over a hundred in exceptional circumstances.

Wiki also says On some occasions, dholes may attack tigers. When confronted by dholes, tigers will seek refuge in trees or stand with their backs to a tree or bush, where they may be mobbed for lengthy periods before finally attempting escape. Escaping tigers are usually killed, while tigers which stand their ground have a greater chance of survival.[41] Tigers are dangerous opponents for dholes, as they have sufficient strength to kill a dhole with a single paw strike.[6] "   

Of course Tigers can't match Leopards in tree climbing, but they are still pretty good. ( Good enough to get away from any dog, anyway). Let's put it this way. If you ever meet a wild Tiger, don't think climbing a tree will do you any good. 

16 hours ago, mistermack said:

Too long ago, but it's pretty much what I read. Wikpedia says packs of over 40 have been observed. Maybe they are rarer now, I'm remembering from fifty years ago. The quote was over a hundred in exceptional circumstances

Yes but do you have evidence that "Tigers have stood off packs of 50 dholes" The fact that you read something like that long ago is not evidence.

When confronted by dholes, tigers will seek refuge in trees or stand with their backs to a tree or bush, where they may be mobbed for lengthy periods before finally attempting escape. Escaping tigers are usually killed, while tigers which stand their ground have a greater chance of survival

Do you have evidence for that other then this writing? You should read Wikipedia with an critical mindset...especially such a subject. Why would dholes confront a tiger? Also, most dhole clans exist out of 12 individuals….it's known there are packs above 40.

Of course Tigers can't match Leopards in tree climbing, but they are still pretty good. ( Good enough to get away from any dog, anyway). Let's put it this way. If you ever meet a wild Tiger, don't think climbing a tree will do you any good. 

The fact that a tiger can climb such a pole doesn't mean he is a good treeclimber.  The photos/videos about tiger climbing in a tree show how he is too heavy and wrongly built to climb trees.

Edited by Itoero

I didn't claim to be holding evidence. You're kicking a straw man. I merely repeated something I encountered long ago. It's not important to me what the numbers of Dholes are. From other sites, I read that there are less than 2,500 left in the wild. So huge packs are surely a thing of the past. But if you don't like wiki, do your own research. I'll be happy to follow your links. 

As far as climbing trees go, they ARE excellent tree climbers, in the context of the thread. That big male reached about thirty feet in just over two seconds. They are less than excellent at descending, but very good at climbing.

A smaller female would have been quicker still. So escaping from dogs wouldn't be a problem so long at there was a suitable tree in range. 

Comparing them to Leopards is a distraction. A Leopard can virtually RUN up a tree, and catch monkeys on occasions. But that's irrelevant to the subject of dogs and Tigers.

This page mentions rumours of packs as large as 100 so I don't think I dream't it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/radical-conservation/2015/jun/25/dhole-asia-endangered-tiger-ignored   

I think 50 years ago, when the forests were yet to be demolished, and game was far more plentiful, the pack sizes would have had the capacity to be much bigger.