Pair of great danes vs a tiger, who would win?

This thread has reminded me of a story my brother-in-law told me years ago. He used to have a Whippet that was terrible for chasing cats. You couldn't let him off the lead unless you were sure that there were going to be none around. 

He went to the Cotswold Wildlife Park in Gloucestershire, and you are allowed to walk around with your dog on a lead. When he was approaching one of the enclosures, the dog started hanging back, and as they got closer, his head went right down, and he was shaking like a leaf. Eventually, he just wouldn't go any further. My brother-in-law handed the lead to my sister, and walked over to the enclosure. There was a Leopard the other side of the fence. 

Just the smell was enough to terrify the dog. He'd never come across a big cat in his life, or the scent of one, and had killed a few small ones. But he knew instinctively that what was in that enclosure was deadly.

21 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

By whom?
They can track lions, (lions stink) but I think the kill was made by a man with a gun (which also stink).

Incidentally the "ridgeback" name comes from a defect loosely equivalent to spina bifida.

:D They are aggressive dogs though. One memory that always makes me smile, is when in my early twenties, I had a job selling stuff door-to-door. I was always nervous of dogs in gardens, and would skip those houses. My friend used to laugh at me, and march confidently through the gates, telling me I was a wimp. One day, I skipped a house that had a "beware of the dog" sign on the gate. My pal did his usual stunt, of mocking me and walking confidently in. A few seconds later, I heard this really savage barking, and his voice shouting, sounding genuinely panicked.

He eventually came out of the garden, when the owner called the dog off, he wasn't hurt, but he was as white as a sheet. He had been pinned against a wall, with the dog barking and snarling in his face, and he had the dog's dinner all down his suit !! I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the day. 

That was a Rhodesian Ridgeback. The name always brings a smile to my face.

On 10/2/2018 at 6:46 PM, Moontanman said:

If you you are going to battle animals then pit animals against each other with similar abilities. Say a Tiger against a Kodiak bear, in reality such powerful predators would seldom ever confront each other..  

Siberian Tigers do meet Brown Bears in their range. And Siberian bears can be much the same size as Kodiaks, in some places around the coast. A big male Brown Bear would be more than a match for any Tiger, I would have thought. But a small female, or juvenile might well be on the menu. It's not so likely to work the other way. A Tiger could probably easily evade a big bear, unless it got caught sleeping.