Malware

ydoaPs

For a long time, I had NO malware, but now I am getting flogged with a crapload of malware. I get more almost as soon as I delete it. I tried updating Ad-Aware, but it said there were no updates available. What is going on?

hassle installing all the security updates and rebooting all the time.

If you are looking for a free AV, the Avast is quite a good one, very functional, like p2p shield, messenger shield, various others.... high virus and trojan detection rate

Currently i am running Kaspersky AV personal pro 4.5 which is great cos of its great unpacking engine and fabulous trojan and virus detection rates

I use spybot and think it works quite well. I've never even heard of "teatime", I'm assuming it's another ad-remove program?

Clean install windows 4 times a month? Sounds like a lot to me. I usually format my hard drive and re-install everything once a week. Probably takes me about 3 days to back up everything and get everything reinstalled. You could do it once and try and make use of system restore maybe?!?!

best thing now to do is back up all ur data. then clean install windows. thats what i always do anyway.... about 4 times a month

Bloodhound, several months ago, I was using about 145 megs of RAM with no windows open. I have not added anything to the start menu, but now I'm using about 200 megs with no windows open.

Could this be spyware running in the background?

Ad-Aware 6.0 is free software if you don't already use it. It got rid of some nasty malware that was slowing my comp down while pretending to be a beneficial program. http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10186632.html?tag=lst-0-1

Or you can go to http://www.lavasoft.de directly to get it.

*edit* Whoa. I just installed the Spybots S&D Sayo was taking about and it found 58 culprits that Ad-Aware missed. Nice.

Install "Spybot: Search and Destroy" (ensuring you also install TeaTimer along with it), update it, use the Immunise function, then use Search for Problems.
LOL. Do you use Tea Timer for a cuppa while Searching & Destroying?

Never mind. The question magically answered itself upon installation. This post will self-destruct in five seconds (after a mod de-spams the thread).

thanx. wat is tea timer?
I have no idea. I was joking about it earlier, but when I did a check at download.com it said it wasn't available but gave a command tree listing food & beverages. It's part of the Spybot download and Sayo said to install it, so I guess it's time to brew.

Ad-Aware 6.0 is free software if you don't already use it. It got rid of some nasty malware that was slowing my comp down while pretending to be a beneficial program. http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10186632.html?tag=lst-0-1

Or you can go to http://www.lavasoft.de directly to get it.

*edit* Whoa. I just installed the Spybots S&D Sayo was taking about and it found 58 culprits that Ad-Aware missed. Nice.

Phi, I was going to download Spybots, but couldn't find "tea timer" that Sayonara talked about. Maybe I'll do it anyway.

What I have done, is run Ad-aware, see how many hits it gets, then run disk cleanup, go back to Ad-aware, to find that more than half of the former hits are gone. But, if I go to internet options, delete the cookies and temp files, I don't get any hits on Ad-aware. I.E. it does the job of disk cleanup and Ad-aware.

tea timer just runs in the background and protects your registries from changing with out you knowing it.

the way most of the anti-malware program work is by searching for certain know malware which may be inside your computer. for this reason it is needed to update your anti-malware program reguarly.

it is also one of the main reasons that different programs 'catch' different malware.

i have spybot search & destroy, ad-aware SE personal and spyware doctor. they all catch different things.

May I add to the previous;

1. Spyware Blaster. (Immunizes against most Mal/Spyware)

2. Webroot Spy Sweeper. (Has a function similar to Tea Timer)

3. Hijack This.

4. Coolwebshredder. (For that bloody Coolwebsearch. :mad: And you thought Gator was bad.)

Hijack this is especially useful as it allows you to identify what is going on in your system with one sweep. By adding your standard processes, etc to the ignore list, any changes or additions show up instantly.

Yes, I use all of these plus Spybot S&D, Adaware (Latest Version) and NIS.

I find that one program will get things that the others miss, perhaps this is due to the search criteria and scanning methods used?

I find that one program will get things that the others miss, perhaps this is due to the search criteria and scanning methods used?

yes that is why, this kinda program works by scanning through a list, hence they need upgrading... this also means that some programs will catch things that others wont.

to use more than one program is quite a good idea.