What if it became scientifically proven that God exists?

Mr Rayon

What if in the future it became scientifically proven that God exists?

(By God I mean the famous one, the omnipotent, omnipresent one etc)

How would you SFN athiests react in response to this revelation? How would your feelings about God change? Would you love Him or hate him? Would you worship Him or would you be neutral about the situation?

What questions would you ask God if you could talk to Him?

To be honest, I can't see how that would ever happen. By definition, God is supernatural where as science is the study of the natural world. It is therefore not possible to prove or disprove God using science. All science ever does is remove the need for a God (i.e. provide a natural explaintion for events orginally though to have been the result of God).

The answers to all of those questions depend on what sort of god we're talking about. This:

the famous one, the omnipotent, omnipresent one etc

doesn't mean much to me. What do we know about this god that has been proven to exist?

How would you SFN athiests react in response to this revelation?

With interest and curiosity. Still wouldn't be interested in all the religious stuff. I have always lived a good life, and I don't see any reasons to change it, if that's what you're aiming at.

I'd be very curious too what god would say about all the numerous religious movements that constantly fight about who has the one and only really right belief.

Also, I would be very curious how we would prove beyond doubt that god is really omnipotent. These would be really interesting tests, with god the subject of the tests. It would probably immediately offend some religious people, because the scientific community would try to disprove the omnipotence for a long, long time.

How would your feelings about God change? Would you love Him or hate him? Would you worship Him or would you be neutral about the situation?

I don't see why I would have new emotions like love or hate. Those kinds of emotions have very little to do with any scientific discovery.

Also, I don't see why worshipping would do any good. Your post doesn't assume anything about the usefulness of worshipping, so I guess I wouldn't - because worshipping seems a bit of a waste of time to me.

I would ask him "how are you doing?" which is a more polite way of saying "

" :)

How would you SFN athiests react in response to this revelation? How would your feelings about God change? Would you love Him or hate him? Would you worship Him or would you be neutral about the situation?

By the nature of science, it is never trying to prove if God exists or doesn't.

I have no feeling about God at all.

If God appeared on front of me, I would ask why he did not make the earthquake on the warfield. If he did so, the current earthquake could replace the atomic bombs in 1945 so that the today's Japenese were able to live peacefully.

You mean Yahweh? I'd ask him why he'd been hiding when so many people claim that he mostly just wants people to believe in him, I'd ask him which of the religions was the correct one, I'd ask him if he really did the immoral things the bible claims he did.

Since the universe itself already contains in itself all power, represents in its many forms the codification of all knowledge, and is everywhere, you could almost say that 'God' is just a trivial nickname for the universe and as such doesn't matter much. It seems religious believers need very much for this entity also to be self-aware, which I suppose the universe could be in some sense we can't yet envision, and to be infinitely good, which seems impossible, given all the unnecessarily bad things that happen to good people (infants born with cancer, progeria, etc.) all the time.

So if the God shown to me to exist were just the omnipotent, omnipresent, eternal, omniscient thing that religions want, I'm not sure it would make any difference to what we already believe in, at least not in an ultimate sense. But if this God were said also to be good then he would be impossible, a self-contradictory being, which could not be proved to exist any more than that the twentieth century could be a square circle made of wooden iron, as Robert Musil once quipped.

Perhaps then the Gnostics were right and only an evil god is possible for this universe.

As others have said, not possible - best we could know is it is one powerful being. If I became convinced, then I would hope that omnibenevolence would be included - that would make the other attributes much more palatable. I would follow him either way though, eternal punishment isn't my cup of tea.

Why Justin Bieber?

How may I serve you?

True omnipotence would render scientific laws and proofs meaningless. Observation would no longer be trustworthy.

Is this the creationist god who makes the world seem billions of years old but really created it a few millennia ago? I would first ask why such a powerful entity felt the need to deceive before asking for our faith and worship. How I felt about It afterwards would depend on Its answer.

I would ask him why he gave us "Honor thy father and mother" rather than letting us in on the whole general relativity thing a couple of thousand years early.

I would also ask why an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent being seems to so childishly need the approval and admiration of mere ignorant humans.

Finally I would ask,

"If you wanted me to believe in you so bad, then why did you give me a brain with a tendency toward analytical and rational thought, an attribute that clearly leads to me not believing in you!?"

Edited by mississippichem

Well, I feel something strange.

It seems that all of the replies are on the same side. In reality there are a lots of people, including some scientists, believing in God; however, there is no such kind of replies in this topic. Why?

I actually believe in a higher power, but not in omnipotence (so I guess the God of Abraham is right out). To me, faith isn't about blind belief, it's about reminding me their are many things I don't know, that humans don't know. Science is about removing as much doubt as possible about what we know. I have faith that consciousness lives on after the body dies, but I don't let that faith excuse me for not learning as much as I can about this 3-dimensionally-limited life I'm living now.

I actually believe in a higher power, but not in omnipotence (so I guess the God of Abraham is right out). To me, faith isn't about blind belief, it's about reminding me their are many things I don't know, that humans don't know. Science is about removing as much doubt as possible about what we know. I have faith that consciousness lives on after the body dies, but I don't let that faith excuse me for not learning as much as I can about this 3-dimensionally-limited life I'm living now.

Respectful.

Do you mean that you believe in the God who is not the ONE in Bible?

Respectful.

Do you mean that you believe in the God who is not the ONE in Bible?

I don't think in terms of "God"; it seems clear to me that religious nomenclature has too many preconceptions attached to it. I think the Bible was written by men. It certainly isn't an inerrant text that should be taken literally, not to me.

If there is a higher power, perhaps it's a being(s) who simply knows how to manipulate energy in ways we don't understand. Did this being "create" us? I don't even go there, don't need to. If this being(s) started life and the evolutionary process on this planet, I congratulate him/them on their patience and artistry. Magnificent!

No one is atheist! Don't everyone of us want happiness. In scriptures, it is clearly written that He is Bliss. Read carefully. He is Bliss not that he contains Bliss. I am sure all members of SFN and other people in this universe, want happiness and joy and whatever they call it- eternal peace. Also, we love all the qualities of Bliss or God like we love non-violence, truth, no theft.

You might put a question that A thief gets happiness in stealing. This means he loves the opposite of the quality of God or Bliss.

This is wrong because if you steal something precious of a thief, even he will get discomfort!

Edited by rktpro

No one is atheist! Don't everyone of us want happiness. In scriptures, it is clearly written that He is Bliss.

And why should I believe that the scriptures aren't lying?

This is wrong because if you steal something precious of a thief, even he will get discomfort!

Then how do you explain masochism?

Scriptures are the supreme authority in all the religions. I can't force you to believe. Scriptures are true and are the words of God himself. They have the divine knowledge of everything within them.

Isn't sadomasochism the way in which someone gets happiness by hurting others. The definition explains your question. The person gets relief or happiness(short-lived happiness) after committing such act. This means that everyone is working for happiness and for self. SELF. They want happiness at any cost. When you steal something of a thief he gets discomfort but he wants happiness.

Thus,Masochism can be practiced by only those who have attained Bliss. They can think of others happiness. They can do deeds for others and not for self.

Edited by rktpro

Scriptures are the supreme authority in all the religions. I can't force you to believe. Scriptures are true and are the words of God himself. They have the divine knowledge of everything within them.

Which scriptures are the words of which gods?

No one is atheist! Don't everyone of us want happiness. In scriptures, it is clearly written that He is Bliss. Read carefully. He is Bliss not that he contains Bliss. I am sure all members of SFN and other people in this universe, want happiness and joy and whatever they call it- eternal peace. Also, we love all the qualities of Bliss or God like we love non-violence, truth, no theft.

You might put a question that A thief gets happiness in stealing. This means he loves the opposite of the quality of God or Bliss.

I tell you the truth - Your attitude causes me unhappy, even though I am a guy with happiness and joy in daily life.

Every one should respect others in this forum, despite of the disagreements about religions and other thoughts.

Hindu Scriptures, as far as I know are supreme and voice of the divine. I don't know about other books but I am sure of Hindu Scriptures!

If I were omnipotent and wanted humans to know The Truth, I wouldn't trust books and writing. My words would hang indelible and unchanging in the air over every continent, written in fiery letters that could be understood in all languages. That's how I'd do it.

Observable, testable, predictable, yet unexplainable in any other way than, "Somebody omnipotent must have done THAT!"

That is obviously on the right track. I have always found it profoundly suspicious that in Western culture, with its epistemological emphasis on the theory of how things can be known, our God also sets up 'faith,' a particular type of knowing, as the central criterion for salvation. Why should the whole issue of salvation, religion, and man's role in the world come down to the proper performance in a Cosmological Quiz Show in which guessing correctly at what is hidden from view and without sufficient information to justify that guess determines who is saved and who is not? What does picking the curtain with the car hidden behind it have to do with being good and deserving to be saved?

A true God would simply inscribe at birth on everyone's soul some principle of goodness which everyone could discover and freely assent to and affirm or not. Those who affirmed it would be saved, those who deliberately chose not to would not. But as it is, by making communication of the divine message depend on where contingent historical forces happen to have spread the Biblical truth, God condemns to ignorance and damnation all those who happen to have been born at the wrong time or in the wrong place, or who are enculturated to be too rational to stake their souls on something so poorly demonstrated, or who were not lucky enough to witness the Biblical miracles personally, or who at an early age came under the influence of some false religion, etc. How idiotic!

But then again, if religion were just a fraud to empower the priestly class over the rest of the population by giving them special possession of some artificial reason to be treated as more worthy than the rest of society, then they would have to insist on a faith supported by a host of inadequate devices to enlist the endorsement of the people for that fraud. Which is just what we see with all the major religions of the world with their obviously man-made reasons for faith (i.e., the supposed occurrence of some miracle in the far distant past when magical thinking ruled and which no one no alive can see).