Ubuntu Installation.

wikki

hey guys

i have this fujitsu B series lifebook. its a P3, 900mhz, 256mb ram, and a dam good computer which has lasted for a long time. laugh.gif

now i was trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 net book remix on it since i m tired of win xp and would like to learn linux in a friendly way.

i was trying to install it off my internal hard drive using GRUB4DOS. the only problem it has is finding the iso file and mounting it. it starts up the setup and messes around.

some things to consider:

1. i m running GRUB of my C: drive which is NTFS and i was reading the u need FAT32 for it to mount the iso and install. well i partitioned it in to another 10GB and FAT32 format.

2. it some time tries to find my CD for the Ubuntu and some time the iso. but it just cant find the damed iso.

3. i have the ISO file in the root of my C: drive and my partitioned fat32 U: drive. this computer cant really boot from flash drive or any other usb device except a floppy drive.

i did try to install plop boot manager but it didn't work out well with the flash since i have usb 1.1 and it would just hang at the Ubuntu boot screen for like 5 hours. sad.gif.

Any ideas how i can fix this? i really want Ubuntu 10.10 netbook remix on it.

First of all: don't try this forum. The ubuntu forums are a far better place for questions, and it's quite likely that the answer is already out there.

Anyway I also had a problem once installing Ubuntu. Turned out I had screwed up creating the .iso. Everything was functioning well, but it was a human failure (me!).

My experience is that by far the easiest is to put the iso on a CD. In other words, download a fresh version from the ubuntu website, burn it as an iso onto a cd, and install. Just my 2 cents. I realize that it's not 100% the answer you wanted.

hey guys

i have this fujitsu B series lifebook. its a P3, 900mhz, 256mb ram, and a dam good computer which has lasted for a long time. laugh.gif

now i was trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 net book remix on it since i m tired of win xp and would like to learn linux in a friendly way.

i was trying to install it off my internal hard drive using GRUB4DOS. the only problem it has is finding the iso file and mounting it. it starts up the setup and messes around.

some things to consider:

1. i m running GRUB of my C: drive which is NTFS and i was reading the u need FAT32 for it to mount the iso and install. well i partitioned it in to another 10GB and FAT32 format.

2. it some time tries to find my CD for the Ubuntu and some time the iso. but it just cant find the damed iso.

3. i have the ISO file in the root of my C: drive and my partitioned fat32 U: drive. this computer cant really boot from flash drive or any other usb device except a floppy drive.

i did try to install plop boot manager but it didn't work out well with the flash since i have usb 1.1 and it would just hang at the Ubuntu boot screen for like 5 hours. sad.gif.

Any ideas how i can fix this? i really want Ubuntu 10.10 netbook remix on it.

Advice: there are preferred requirements for Ubuntu 10.10, I think it says 512MB RAM .. it's preferred that

you upgrade your RAM memory from 256MB to 1GB (it's a cheap chip you can install at any computer technician) ...

Since you can't boot-up from any USB, only Floppy-disks .. this means either you need to upgrade your BIOS, or

you need to upgrade your Motherboard ...

Now, if you want to stick with your current old hardware .. you better go to Ubuntu Forums,

there you will find experts who can pinpoint your problem ...

good luck,