Biochemistry Class

I'm not doing so hot in Biochemistry class and one of the reasons is because I make stupid mistakes on exams (i'm terrible test taker with dislexic background), but another is this horrible textbook. We are told to read Fundamentals to Biochemistry by Voet and the material seems like its so condensed that it skips important facts that I need to know. Should I get his first book called Biochemistry? Because this text is so confusing that I cant sit and read it at all and reading textbooks is almost a hobby of mine. It lacks so much....please tell me I'm not crazy.

I want to know this stuff. I don't care as much for the grades as I do for knowing this stuff.

I don't personally know that book...however I would recommend:

Biochemistry - Lubert Stryer, Jeremy Berg, John Tymoczko

The Organic Chemistry of biological pathways - John McMurry, Tadhg, Begley

These two are very good and are what I used for my degree; I also still use them now in my PhD.

The original Voet & Voet: Biochemistry (3rd edition) is in an excellent book, I own it myself. I didn´t read The fundamentals, however, so I can´t tell you how much different they are. Also I can recommend Lehninger: Principles of Biochemistry. Stryer is very good as well.

Right now we are going over RNAP, operators, operons, Activator, repressors inhibitors, PCR, sequencing methods, and DNA libraries. This exam is going to be a pain especially because we don't have a whole lot of practice problems and Voets books doesn't have the answers to the problems in the back. Any good references for those to? Exam will be waiting for me on the 25th...laughing. :/

Its in French haha, but that is a cool site thank you very much and everyone else thats been helping me.

Also:

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Is rather brilliant

Edited by wikiro

wikiro, in this case I would suggest something else than "pure biochemistry" textbook. I´m thinking of Genes (Lewin) or some other molecular biology texts (Molecular Cell Biology - Lodish is in my opinion by far the best book in this pool). Just be careful to get the newest edition, these things are changing day to day.

I agree with Bobr, Lodish's Molecular Cell Biology is a fantastic textbook and I personally find it more enjoyable to read than Berg. Genes X is a brilliant textbook for genetic classes, so I would highly recommend it for the stuff you said you're doing. It explains every technique very well. I've not looked at Voet & Voet so couldn't comment biggrin.gif

Edited by D.Smalley

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We were also recommended Voet & Voet but it's just horrible and makes some assertions that aren't corroborated by literature.

I can recommend, Principles of Biochemistry by Horton et al

Or Biochemistry by Mathews, Van Horne and Ahern, both of these helped immensely in my final year.

But Lodish is probably one of the best you can get, it's more rounded than the others.