pachydoium toxins

skwiff

would any one know the chemical compersistion of the sap of the pachypodium genus? they are used as arrow poisons so they must be quite potent. i have a hunch that the toxins are alkoids and ae related to the oleandrin glycoside alkoids that are found in the plant oleander, which is a cardiac toxin. the reason behind this is that if you google it there is no infomation upon the topic! the only reason is the need to know:P

would any one know the chemical compersistion of the sap of the pachypodium genus? they are used as arrow poisons so they must be quite potent. i have a hunch that the toxins are alkoids and ae related to the oleandrin glycoside alkoids that are found in the plant oleander, which is a cardiac toxin. the reason behind this is that if you google it there is no infomation upon the topic! the only reason is the need to know:P

Hm, as far as scifinder goes, pachypodia natural products have not yet been isolated or identified. But correct me, if I am wrong.

I found this here, which says the arrow poison might actually come from different plants, since they are a mixture of plant extracts, but its a very old article.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hlca.19640470824/abstract

Anybody else found something?

Hmm. I might have a look-see throughweb of science when I get home. Potentially, the compound may not have been isolated and characterised.

so there is potential to discover new chemicals? thats if the toxins have not been identified already :)

It has been characterised and was used in one of lectures; it is biosynthesised by a [2+4] cycloaddition. Now if I could only find my notes, I could tell you what it is....

that would be really kindofyou ^_^

It has been characterised and was used in one of lectures; it is biosynthesised by a [2+4] cycloaddition. Now if I could only find my notes, I could tell you what it is....

A [2+4] cycloaddition? Are you talking about my favourite reaction? :rolleyes: