Taste of NaCl

jordehwa

So i know that Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) + Hydrochloric acid (HCl) ==> Sodium chloride (NaCl). So what i want to do is make some crystalize it and see if it tastes better or different then normal table salt. It seems to me like this would be safe to do but just to be sure would tasting homemade salt be ok?

Thanks by the way i do have experience HCl.

just pH the solution before you recrystalise.

there will likely be a bit of sodium bicarb leftover but probably not enough to affect the taste. and as you can eat bicarb without any serious issues(i do it for indigestion) the salt formed will be safe enough.

again, just make sure the pH is roughly neutral so you have a good ratio of salt and it should be safe.

obviously follow proper safety rules, such as if the crystals don't look like expected (ie. luminous orange) better not to eat it until you know exactly whats causing that.

True, but HCl in your mouth is not exactly the nicest thing to do.

And I'd like to point out that the equation you put up at the top is not complete. The complete one is:

NaHCO3 + HCl ==> NaCl + CO2 + H2O

It will probaby taste the same yes. Table salt itself is normally around 97% NaCl; the other 3% are made up of anticakign agents such as magnesium carboante or sodium silicoaluminate; it keeps the table salt free flowing. These additional compounds may contribute to the taste of table salt.