How DNA deletions may have produced uniquely human traits

Moontanman

Big brains and spineless penises

How DNA deletions may have produced uniquely human traits

58044-1.jpg

The spiny genitalia of the Callosobruchus analis beetle

Hundreds of deletions in non-coding DNA have helped sculpt human evolution, including an increase in brain size and the loss of sensory whiskers and penis spines, proposes a study published this week in Nature.

Read more: Big brains and spineless penises - The Scientist - Magazine of the Life Sciences http://www.the-scientist.com/news/display/58044/#ixzz1G8lmspjU

Makes sense to me. From what I've seen in my study of the evolution of enzymes different function arises from convergent evolution - the modules are all in place, just to be stuck together like lego blocks to create new things. This could be taken further with the same base set of genetic material that is modified to create new functions - why not deletion of "useless" stuff as well.

Makes sense to me. From what I've seen in my study of the evolution of enzymes different function arises from convergent evolution - the modules are all in place, just to be stuck together like lego blocks to create new things. This could be taken further with the same base set of genetic material that is modified to create new functions - why not deletion of "useless" stuff as well.

How is the mosaic modular nature of enzyme evolution convergent?

Also, if you read the article the changes in non-coding regions are the opposite of useless since they altered phenotype. That's the whole point of the study, that non-coding regions have important regulatory and expression effects. Evolution works across the genome on much more than just composition of protein coding regions (genes).

Edited by Rip:20

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.