Periodic Table project

JillS

I have a science project due for a physical science class. We have to take a household item and break 10 ingredients in the item down to their molecular level. We get extra points if we don't have to enlist the professor for help. I'm seeking clarification on the terminology of breaking down an ingredient to its molecular level. I'll use sodium silicate as an example.

Would breaking sodium silicate down to its molecular level look like:

Na2Si03

If not, could someone help me with breaking down sodium silicate to its molecular level so I can have a place to start?

That is the molecular formula for sodium silicate yes.

From what you have said, and if you your project is about the perodic table, then the teacher probably wants you to give the molcular formula for those 10 household items.

You're correct that the molecular formula is Na2SiO3.

I am still not so sure what you mean by "breaking it down to its molecular level". You mean you have to write down the molecular formula of the "ingredients"?

We're not discussing any lab-experiments, are we?

Thanks Horza2002.

Captainpanic... no this is not an experiment. It is simply a project to reinforce a periodic table unit. We take a product (of our choosing) and break 10 of the ingredients in that product to the molecular level. The rubric is kind of vague in that respect. The other portion of the project is to explain how those elements are used in the product, but I've got that covered.

Something like a nasty ready-made meal might be very good pickings - you will get water(very easy); salt (easy); sucrose, glucose and other sugars (again wikieasy) , what we would call E numbers in Europe (ie artificial flavouring and preservatives (more complicated to explain but still traceable on net); if any protein source you can have a stab at explaining what is likely to be there, the same with fat source. I reckon any reasonably unhealthy pre-prepared meal will get you to ten in no time

Sounds like a good task to me

Imatfaal, that is a very good idea. Something with alot preservatives would be very good to introoduce you to a wide range of compounds with several different functional groups. The chemical structure of all the E numbers are easily avaliable online...one pre-prepared meal will most certanily get 10 chemically interesting compounds of it.

We do have the coolest professor. I took the forum advise and am using a Hot Pocket Beef and Cheddar. OMG! I'm afraid to eat these things now that I have examined the ingredients a little more closely. But the chemical compounds from the preservatives and additives alone gave me MORE than enough material. I of course snagged the easy ones like water, salt and iron too.

Thanks to all who have helped. You guys were right in telling me that "breaking the ingredient down to its molecular level" translated to molecuar formula. I'll post how I do!

Jill - I think the cool professor knew that well and devised a project that would not only expand your knowledge of chemical structures but would also allow you to connect those abstract formulae to the real world and what you were eating, consuming and relying upon.

And in a tribute to good chemistry teachers - Mr Zablocki, you were, and probably still are, a great and inspiring teacher

We do have the coolest professor. I took the forum advise and am using a Hot Pocket Beef and Cheddar. OMG! I'm afraid to eat these things now that I have examined the ingredients a little more closely.

Wait until you find out what's in natural products (like an apple, milk, eggs, wheat, tomato). DNA and all other proteins are just freaky at the molecular level. The way sugars are produced (and consumed) in the plant and animal life is also pretty funky. We all know it's healthy, but if you see it written out like chemicals, I still think it looks wrong... Food's pretty weird from a chemical perspective. And not simple at all. Luckily, it's almost always possible to work with a simplified version of reality... especially if you're working in the chemical industry or food/drink industry (which as you're now finding out is also just chemical industry, even if it uses only natural products). :)

Just found out that if you ever buy super expensive chocolates in Europe you might see the E-number E-175 on the ingredients. Got to be one of the simplest constituents you will find - Au. That's right, it is the e-number for pure gold. Gold leaf is so thin that you can wrap chocolates in it and just eat it!

out of topic but I don't understand why would anyone consume gold..?

It shouldn't be tasty..should it?

Needless and wanton consumption basically. Its there for visual effect and to illustrate that the purchaser has money to burn

You guys were right in telling me that "breaking the ingredient down to its molecular level" translated to molecuar formula. I'll post how I do!

Might be interesting, JillS, and maybe extra credit to include in your report some ingredients which may translate to a molecular formula but where there are variations available in detailed molecular configuration, and indicate when you do which configuation (if you know or guess) is used in the household substance about which you're reporting.