What we're made from??

MadScientist

I've had a quick look around and can't find this stuff mentioned anywhere, closest I came to was Quantum Brain Theory but that's different to what I've been thinking about. So I figured I'd run it past you guys...

I'll try my best to explain it so bear with me.

I wasn't sure which forum to post this to but since it deals with quantum sized objects

In the beginning we all thought we were just one thing, we being ourselves, our consciousnesses - the thing that makes each of us ourselves.

Then we soon found out we're made from different things like teeth, bones, skin, hair, organs, a brain etc.. We find out our consciousnesses lie inside our brains.

Then we find out all those other bits of us are made from smaller things, the brain is no longer just one thing, it's a collection of different things like the cerebellum and the cerebrum, so I (my consciousness) is no longer just my brain it's all those sepearate areas of my brain. All doing different jobs, some storing memories, some processing visual images, some deciding how I make decisions, etc..

But even those seperate areas of the brain are made from smaller things called cells.

But those cells are made from even smaller things, which in turn are made from atoms which in turn are made from protons, electrons and neutrons which are made from quarks and gluons...

I favour most of the string theorists ideas that even those quarks and gluons are made from something even smaller, even if they're not it's not really important.

The point I'm trying to make is that the smaller sized parts you break the brain down to, right down to quarks or further, that's what my consciousness is made from.

Try shifting your perspective of what you are along the above scale of the brain.

Instead of thinking of yourself as a brain inside a body go back to an animals perspective and think of yourself as just your whole body, not knowing anything about what's inside it. From that perspective you're just your body in the universe.

Thinking of yourself as a brain however you think of yourself as a brain inside a body in the universe. It's like you've stepped inside yourself a little more.

When you think of yourself as a collection of cells you step inside yourself even more, think of yourself as strings or whatever the smallest particle in the universe is and you step right into yourself and your perspective of what you are shifts as far as possible from an animals perspective of what it is.

Trying to put it another way...

The brain cells involved in making a yes/no or this/that decision only come to their decision based on the way they're constructed. Say those cells came to a "this" answer, if a few atoms had been placed differently or the cell had more/less of one or more kind of atom than before wouldn't they have a chance to cause the answer to have been a "that"??

So what causes those atoms to be placed the way they were?? Other atoms, right??

And the number of protons, electrons and neutrons determine what the atom is like and the quarks and gluons determine what those protons, electrons and neutrons are like, what tells those other atoms to be the way they are is what my consciousness is, right??

Imagine a powerful electric motor with a huge unbalanced weighted arm on it, place that inside a car and drive it along with the motor quickly spinning away, the weight displacement would affect the cars handling. Wouldn't the strings have the same affect on whatever they make, which in turn would affect the handling of what they make, right up to the whole brain itself.

Does that make any sense to anyone else??

But those cells are made from even smaller things' date=' which in turn are made from atoms which in turn are made from protons, electrons and neutrons which are made from quarks and gluons...

I favour most of the string theorists ideas that even those quarks and gluons are made from something even smaller, even if they're not it's not really important.

[/quote']

In String Theroy, quarks and gluons are as small as sub-atomic thingies get. They ARE strings(according to string theory).

I've heard about a theory where (as MadScientist stated) consciousness lies in the very, very sub-atomic levels, and can actually do superposition (which means existing at two places at the same time), which would explain "expanded consciousness". Does anyone know more about it?

I've heard about a theory where (as MadScientist stated) consciousness lies in the very, very sub-atomic levels, and can actually do superposition (which means existing at two places at the same time), which would explain "expanded consciousness". Does anyone know more about it?

I don't know anything about this expanded consciousness but I can tell you how to get a deeper perspective of yourself and the universe around you.

It's kinda flakey but most science appears that way to me these days. ;)

First I started off by creating a virtual/simulated universe in my mind, it was just a huge sphere showing the energy given off from the big bang. Then I pressed a virtual button and filtered out all those waves so I was just left with the major bodies like galaxies. What I'd do then would be to zoom in on one galaxy and filter out everything from galaxies (including the one I'd zoomed in on ;) so I was left with just the solar systems and gas clouds.

Then I'd keep zooming in using the same process until I zoomed into the room I was sitting in, where I'd finally zoom in on myself.

But all through that I'd be looking at each thing and getting a feel for how it works IYKWIM.

Then I found another exercise, which was looking at something then visualising it as just a collection of strings of energy.

Which lead to another one.

I imagined my hand beside a square piece of metal, then beside the metal a glass of water and finally just fresh air.

I zoomed right into my hand visualising it as strings then panned across over to the metal, then the water and finally to the air.

Visualising things that close up all I could make out was strings, I couldn't tell metal from flesh.

The weird thing was it got easier and easier to do it and my perception of everything was changing.

I don't profess to fully understand how string theory works or much else but I think the important thing is to just zoom in on things at their lowest level, whatever that may be for yourself.

It got kinda crazy then so I stopped. I was thinking if the strings that make my hand can move the strings making up water or air out of its way why can't those same strings in my hand tell the strings of a brick to move out of their way?? I was visualising the strings in my hand sending a signal to the strings that make the air or water telling them "We're bonded together stronger than you guys so move." Like I said though, I gave up cos it was getting a bit crazy..

But one thing that did make me think was.

If you take a Tibettan monk or someone like that who can meditate and do weird things like supporting their whole body weight on one finger, or the martial arts guys who use Chi energy, I'm sure you get the picture - all these mind over matter experts.. Those Chi masters seem to be able to overcome so much like smashing through blocks or towing a car with a delicate part of their anatomy. ;)

I was wondering if they had a finer perspective on the universe how much more they could achieve.

The simplest experiment I could come up with was overcoming pain.

I found the safe distance to hold a naked flame under my hand then timed myself to see how long I could endure it. Just concentrating on blocking the pain by ignoring it I could manage about 5 seconds.

The weird thing though was when I used my new string level perception and concentrated hard on the strings blocking those signals, I could manage about 20 seconds that way.

Not really related but...

I recently came up with another theory for helping to overcome pain. The pain caused by heat from a naked flame or whatever is just going to become a memory. So whilst holding my hand over the flame I'd be thinking "The flame isn't close enough to cause any permenant damage and the pain you're feeling right now will just be a memory so just ignore it."

I got around 20 seconds using that method too but it's not really scientific since the earlier method might have been affecting this one at a small level.

Back to QM though.

Another crazy though I had was, if these strings (or whatever you call them) can send a signal to other strings telling them to all bond together to form an atom and eventually a full object.

And if my consciousness is just the strings that make my brain, those strings must work together to send a signal to another part of my body in the same way they tell each other to group up and make a person.

A radio transmitter can send out signals, I assume those waves would be made from strings too.

Why can't the strings in my brain work together to do some Jedi Knight stuff.

I say again though, I did stop all this because it was getting a little crazy. ;)

I never actually tried concentrating so I could push my finger through a brick wall or levitate something across the room.

Diversing a little..

I was wondering about memory, the strings that make the cells that store memories must have to hold a pattern for a while, which may be a strain for them so they need to rest, perhaps telling other strings in other cells to hold the memory for a while. Which might explain why we need to sleep.

If that's right then it leads to other bizarre implications.

If strings can hold a state like that it might explain other weird phenomena.

Like ghosts being strings that get shunted through another dimension and only have enough energy to form a dilated image of the person they make.

Then there's the really crazy stuff RE other dimensions.

If each string exists in all dimensions at the same time and place but just look different in each dimension.

I visualised how that would work.

Imagine a length of string, push it through a piece of paper and that's the string in a 2D universe, then another piece of paper as a 1D universe - it would just be a long line and the length of string would expand to pass through a differently shaped hole. The piece of string coming out of the top sheet is obviously the string in our 3D universe but put a ball on top of the string and that's the 4D universe.

Being a length of string though you can pull it back and forth through the different dimensions, imagining it expanding/contracting as it passes through each one.

I've no idea what that implies, it's just something crazy I came up with. :)

• 1 month later...

hari...hari

I think maybe objects are the sum of all there parts,not one!we may look through to smaller and smaller parts.We struggle to find the meaning to life and consciousness,We may have to resign ourselves to never understanding, the magic ingredient,because we are looking in the wrong place.The very moment you die,you could look for the smallest quark/gluon whatever,and find everything is still there.But your dead,gone to were ever you came from.It could be that consciousness is created the very nanosecond sperm and egg join,an electrical discharge or chemical reaction.

Or maybe that electrical charge traps some exotic particle that our formed neurons fire around the brain.And that when the nucleus of the very first cell formed at conception disintergrates the exotic particle is released back into the universe with its infinite amount of buddies until the next capture.

Could it not be that the universe is a conscious entity.Thats why all religions teach god is all around us in everything you see or touch,that you are part of god.

Only a thought of mine to share.....a little deep yes,blame madscientist for going off on a lsd mission

It is definatly strange when you think about yourself at the subatomic level. Everything works so well at that level and makes so many things happen just to make a thought. How do these things correlate and know what to do? What if there is some life force that guides them (i.e soul or spirit).

They do so much and correlate it so well, they cannot do this without some form of consciousness can they?

yes thats just what madscientist post was pointing to,wether or not he intended that i dont know,I was merely saying at a particle level its just parts, like a table inanimate dead,If we accept were just the sum of subatomic particles then they must consciously interact and perform the creation of complex objects including life.Which must direct us to thinking the universe is conscious.

I must leave that acid and cannabis alone LMAO

yes thats just what madscientist post was pointing to,wether or not he intended that i dont know,I was merely saying at a particle level its just parts, like a table inanimate dead,If we accept were just the sum of subatomic particles then they must consciously interact and perform the creation of complex objects including life.Which must direct us to thinking the universe is conscious.

Yup that's basically what I was saying.

I'm not sure if there's anything "magical" happening, the big bang just spews out loads of fundamental particles of energy called quarks which get packed into protons, neutrons, electrons and packets of energy and whatever else. Those larger building blocks just naturally bond together the way they did to form all this...

I'll assume everything is made from these same fundamentals either quarks or strings, if you're a string theorist. ;)

That means there's just two things in this universe, those fundamentals and our consciousnesses that can perceive these things in our universe.

We really are just computers, the universe throws all these facts at us which we process and react to, creating new facts to throw out into the universe.

Trippy pothead type section:

What amazes me though is if the string theorists are correct and conscious thought does exist at that level, IOW the strings themselves contain all the data we have in our minds. What if those same strings can do amazing things like talk to each other over any distance?? If all the strings in a mind are working together to achieve their goals of providing us with memory and thought processing, then why can't they use some of their other abilities to achieve other goals??

If we don't have to use any huge powerful devices to get them to all work together so we can add 2 and 2 together in our minds, why should we need devices to get them to all work together to do something similarly amazing?? They'd just be doing what they naturally do already...

I don't think it's wrong or insane to think along these lines, the only way to find out if a road is a dead end is by travelling along it. :cool:

I must leave that acid and cannabis alone LMAO

Nonsense!!

The universe wants you to think and if there are things you can do to yourself to think better you should use them. ;)

Not that I'm advocating the usage of soft drugs of course. :rolleyes: