Microscopes. Is Omano a good brand?

What kind of microscope are you looking for, and what is your price range?

Well im looking for a compound microsope with either 400x or 1000x magnification. Its for educational reasons. My price range is 150-250. I know that is a little low but i cant go any higher

Well im looking for a compound microsope with either 400x or 1000x magnification. Its for educational reasons. My price range is 150-250. I know that is a little low but i cant go any higher

Have you considered getting a second-hand microscope? Sometimes schools or labs have to get rid of their old ones and sell them at a discount.

Have you considered getting a second-hand microscope? Sometimes schools or labs have to get rid of their old ones and sell them at a discount.

No, i havent considered but i would be willing to. im really not sure were to look

My home compound microscope is manufactured by Apex, it's the Researcher model. The build quality is really excellent for the price, and the optics are indistinguishable from the nikon or leica optics in the much more expensive scopes at work. I spent a long time checking out the competition before buying, and that was the best one I could find within my price range (it's much cheaper on Amazon or eBay than the manufacturers site).

I'm fairly sure the same scopes are distributed under the brand Amscope in the USA. This one (eBay link) looks exactly the same as mine and a lower price than I paid, but I can't vouch for the quality of the glass or whether it will even use the same objectives.

Actually, I just check their website and the exact one I have (but the American version) is this one. They claim that "This microscope is made by the same technicians and on the same production line as optical instruments for Leica, Zeiss, Nikon and Olympus". If true, that might explain why the optical quality on mine is so good.

Also, the one you linked to in your first post is monocular, but you could easily get a good binocular within your price range.

Edited by Blahah

I spent quite a bit of time looking around. I found that microscope.com is an extremely reputable company. Very knowledgeable about everything, extremely helpful. I would say that it isn't just procuring the microscope, it is also the company that backs it. Some companies are difficult to reach secondarily. While this isn't a problem when they're taking your order, it becomes a major issue if you have a problem or need to get replacement parts... or heaven forbid warranty work!

In addition, you might consider a binocular microscope -- Easier on the eyes.

My suggestion? Since you're already looking at an Omano, house brand of microscope.com, write down a list of questions and call them. They will easily answer all of your questions and steer you in the right direction.

• 1 year later...

My home compound microscope is manufactured by Apex, it's the Researcher model. The build quality is really excellent for the price, and the optics are indistinguishable from the nikon or leica optics in the much more expensive scopes at work. I spent a long time checking out the competition before buying, and that was the best one I could find within my price range (it's much cheaper on Amazon or eBay than the manufacturers site).

I'm fairly sure the same scopes are distributed under the brand Amscope in the USA. This one (eBay link) looks exactly the same as mine and a lower price than I paid, but I can't vouch for the quality of the glass or whether it will even use the same objectives.

Actually, I just check their website and the exact one I have (but the American version) is this one. They claim that "This microscope is made by the same technicians and on the same production line as optical instruments for Leica, Zeiss, Nikon and Olympus". If true, that might explain why the optical quality on mine is so good.

Also, the one you linked to in your first post is monocular, but you could easily get a good binocular within your price range.

AMscope, I bought a microscope, dark field, but 15 days is spoiling the transformer andthe lighting system'm useless, I called the company AMSCOPE, but do not take care of repair, or give as a reply any fix the problem.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); ">The microscope ,have medium quality, but the company is informal and is not responsible for their products,<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 245); ">I do not advise the purchase