LSD

Holland44

I was wanting to know as much I can on the subject of LSD. What chemical reactions change the perceptions of the user? Are flashbacks the brain releasing LSD at small dosages after long term use, or is it because of changing external stimuli? Can LSD have any beneficial medical applications? Also, is there any validation in the statement that LSD may actually make one smarter (Or atleast more interested in science.)? Why was the CIA so interested with LSD?

Any knowledge on the subject is wanted, even personal experiences with the drug.

All of your questions (except the one about LSD making you smarter) are answered extensively on Wikipedia.

Start by reading the LSD page.

Then you can read about the CIA testing, project codename MKULTRA.

As for medical effects, it is used therapeutically, but the USDA states that it...

"produces no aphrodisiac effects, does not increase creativity, has no lasting positive effect in treating alcoholics or criminals, does not produce a 'model psychosis', and does not generate immediate personality change." Here's the document.

There is some non-clinical suggestion that it might help stop the cycle of cluster headaches in chronic sufferers. Here's a paper about it.

Flashbacks are not the result of the brain releasing LSD, it is not produced in the human body (see this paper for experimental evidence). But the actual mechanism of flashbacks and the related disorder Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD) are not understood.

Pharmacologically, LSD binds to dopamine receptors, adrenoreceptors, and most seratonin receptors. It's all in the pharmacodynamics section of the wikipedia article.

From personal experience - it's pleasant to take once if you're a confident, happy person. The visual and physical sensations are completely unique. If you're depressed or anxious it amplifies those feelings and turns them into an experience. I've seen a lot of people take it and invariably the ones who aren't completely happy or confident going into it have a terrible or terrifying experience. I'm quite certain that consistent use over time has driven some people I know to clinical psychological disorders, including paranoid schizophrenia. How well do you know yourself? Are you completely in control of your mind and emotions? If yes, proceed with caution. If no, do not proceed.

Edited by Blahah