Quantum universes

Dean Mullen

If the theory of parallel universes is true then I realized that within this infinite vast sea of universes there is an infinite number of universes in which are exact copies of our universe. So the matter of these universes could be identical to our universe yet you cannot have exact copies in terms of consciousness because if that was true we would experience an infinite number of lives rather than just one. So consciousness has the ability to be individual yet matter cannot be individual so consciousness is not just a random event developed by matter it has its own laws of physics in some sense.

If the theory of parallel universes is true then I realized that within this infinite vast sea of universes there is an infinite number of universes in which are exact copies of our universe. So the matter of these universes could be identical to our universe yet you cannot have exact copies in terms of consciousness because if that was true we would experience an infinite number of lives rather than just one. So consciousness has the ability to be individual yet matter cannot be individual so consciousness is not just a random event developed by matter it has its own laws of physics in some sense.

I don't follow your reasoning that matter and consciousness must behave differently regarding alternate universes.

Why would one consciousness experience what a copy experiences? Aren't they separate? And if not, why would matter be separate from its copies? Wouldn't you assume that matter on Earth would "experience the gravitational pull of an infinite number of Earths" or something?

There is probably some interpretation of QM that will let you develop these ideas further, but personally I think the entire idea of parallel universes is unnecessarily complicated and likely false.

I believe you are trying to seperate the concept of consciousness from the physical matter that dictates it. Our consiousness is a result of the on-goings of the physics which dominate our lives. Yes, you are made of atoms, which follow known physical laws, and are as set in stone as the orbits of the planets. If fact, free will is not as supported by data as you think. Test support that the chemistry in your brain is in fact dictated by laws as much as you don't want to believe it. So, we say matter exists. In a seperate universe, matter may exist in the same fashion as it does here. That is SEPERATE matter, and it also exists. Nothing more. Also, we find that the parallel universes idea is a result of combining relativity with quantum mechanics in m-theory. There are an infinite number of membranes (universes), just as you said, in a big eleven dimensional sea. This needs to exist in order for us to explain the workings inside singularities. So, i don't believe it will likely be false. I agree that it is still incredibly difficult to define or explain the concepts of experience or consciousness, but i am sure it is within the realm of science.

If the theory of parallel universes is true then I realized that within this infinite vast sea of universes there is an infinite number of universes in which are exact copies of our universe.

Not necessarily. There's infinitely many integers, and yet none are identical to any other integer, for example. To get infinite identical universes you'd need to show that there was a finite probability of a given universe.