The combinations are huge, each neuron may

be a particle accelerator, chip, virtual

reality etc.

They would no longer communicate with the

outside universe because they would be

too busy exploring their internal

"SOLID STATE CIVILIZATION".

TOBOR THE APE MAN

but one thing you didn't consider is that before they became so advanced they changed the laws of physics, they probably watched Tv and listend to radio. SETI is looking for these signals.

For example, 1000 years from now mankind may be comunicating telepathicly, not using any radio waves. But our radio waves from our past would still be bouncing around the universe.

And it is safe to assume that any advanced civilization learned how to use and manipulate radio frequencys long before unlocking the secrets of the universe.

wow, it sounds like a strange course of events that we'll be taking in the next 1000 years. Why would be lose something as useful as wavelengths to communicate. Telepathic phonecalls, and radio stations would be rather farfetched.

In any case, we shouldnt make any assumptions that an ET society would be using telepathy or any other form of communication that we cannot grasp (Though it may be true). If we cannot use that power, then how can we search for it? So, for now, lets just hope that any aliens out there would be sticking to radio signals to communicate (if they're as/more advanced than us in the first place)

but my point is that even if they are beyond using radio signals, using whatever method to communicate, the signals would still be bouncing around in space.

I mean, hitler I think made the first television broadcast. We can pick it up this day, and hitler is long gone and the world is a very different place.

• 1 month later...
wow' date=' it sounds like a strange course of events that we'll be taking in the next 1000 years. Why would be lose something as useful as wavelengths to communicate. Telepathic phonecalls, and radio stations would be rather farfetched.

In any case, we shouldnt make any assumptions that an ET society would be using telepathy or any other form of communication that we cannot grasp (Though it may be true). If we cannot use that power, then how can we search for it? So, for now, lets just hope that any aliens out there would be sticking to radio signals to communicate (if they're as/more advanced than us in the first place)[/quote']

I was giving this some thought today and came up with this pile of garbage... ;)

We started sending out our powerful enough to break into space radio signals about 60 years ago IIRC.

If we discover a more efficient means of long distance communiction than these strong radio signals next week and just stopped using them. We would only have been sending signals into space for 65 years. I dunno, maybe we'll start using something like entangled particles to communicate with instead of radio in 20 years.

Any alien civilisation with its own SETI program will only be able to pick us up for about 80 years. If they miss this window of opportunity they'd class Earth as having no intelligent life..

Some alien civilisations might discover this new more efficient distance communication method sooner than we will or some might take even longer than we will. So I'd guess at a window of between 60 to 150 years for most (not all!!) alien civilisations.

The other things I was thinking about is how paranoid alien worlds will be.

What if they discover radio technology late into their Superpowers development and their America decided it would be unwise to attract the attention of all these pspecies from other worlds that are probably hostile. So any radio technology would be classed as illegal.

Instead they stuck to wire communications which would speed up their development of fibre optic comms out of necessity. They'd then reach our as yet undiscovered communication method quicker than we will.

So some of them could be as or more advanced as we are without using radio signals.

Maybe they turn on their first radio receiver powerful enough to detect signals from space and pick up images showing nothing but violence. Then decide to turn off all their strongest radio transmitters.

I'm not saying SETI is a waste of time, we've obviously still got to try and find out if we are alone or not.