Improving Education in Egypt.

GenericAssembler

Hi guys,

I am from Egypt as you may know we had our revolution.

I just wanted to improve education here in Egypt because here most education is just based on memorizing atleast in many school not really explaining what behind formulas.

So I did a Facebook page about Education and posting online tutorials and videos that explains math,etc.

I just wanted to know or get suggestion what other methods you think to improve education.Personally I believe new education should be on the internet.

I made this Facebook page,but its not really famous what are your suggestions to for example I can work on in my spare time to improve education,since now

its best time to work on it since military can be talked to easily now.

I am a first year student in electrical engineering and planning to do major in physics too,so I am experienced with physics,math,programming,etc.

The American physicist Richard Feynman was invited to visit Brazil for a year and improve science education there at the university level, and he found the same problem there as you describe in Egypt. He reported that education was entirely based on memorization rather than on encouraging a deep understanding of basic concepts by the students. In contrast, a friend of mine who teaches physics at NYU always tells his students at the end of his lectures: "There's no homework tonight; just go home and think about what we discussed." Feynman felt that the lack of creative development of physics in Brazil could be explained by the uncreative way students were taught to think about it.

I wonder if there is a deep link between the authoritarian nature of regimes and the uncreative way even totally non-political disciplines are taught? Perhaps the lack of critical thinking in politics and in scientific education mutually reinforce each other.