Can the burning rate of calories be increased?

First of all, I would love it, if someone could explain to me the process by which the body burns calories. And as a matter-of-fact, I dont really know what it even means to "Burn Calories". Is burning calories, an actual unit being removed, or is it the amount of energy it takes to complete an action? I basically need a whole entire lesson on this, because I know nothing of it.

And that brings me to the question I mean to ask. Can you by means of a natural or man-made substance increase the rate by which your body burns calories? :D

First of all, I would love it, if someone could explain to me the process by which the body burns calories. And as a matter-of-fact, I dont really know what it even means to "Burn Calories". Is burning calories, an actual unit being removed, or is it the amount of energy it takes to complete an action? I basically need a whole entire lesson on this, because I know nothing of it.

I'm no expert but you could imagine numerous bodily processes that require energy (measured in calories), from cognitive-emotional activity to muscle activity to hormone production.

And that brings me to the question I mean to ask. Can you by means of a natural or man-made substance increase the rate by which your body burns calories? :D

Surely there are many, but you should think carefully before implementing any. If you take steroids to increase your muscle mass and burn more calories that way, you could experience negative side-effects of that. If you take amphetamines and accelerate your metabolism that way, you could upset your nervous system's normal functioning. Anything you ingest can have short-term and/or long-term side-effects. I am amazed every time I see some lawsuit advertised on TV about a drug that I remember gaining popularity. Then I always think how glad I am not to be suffering that problem instead of being on the phone to get my payoff. I'm sure some people think the opposite, though, and look for experimental drugs to take as a way to gamble on a future payoff if the drug turns out to be detrimental. Personally, I don't think your health is worth a lump of money.

A calorie is an amount of energy, about 4.18 Joules, the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram (1 mL) of water by 1 degree Celsius. Food is measured in Calories which is kilocalories, or 1000 calories, or the amount of energy needed to raise 1 liter of water by 1 degree Celsius.

Your body uses energy during metabolism. The end effect is to combine sugar with oxygen same as if you had burnt it in a fire, though in your body some of that energy is transferred to ATP before being used. Your body does not have a way to use energy except via production of ATP (or other metabolic products), but ATP can be wasted by running two bodily processes in reverse, or by dissipating the proton gradient in the mitochondria that would have been used to generate ATP, or by using ATP to do unnecessary work (exercise, shivering).

you by means of a natural or man-made substance increase the rate by which your body burns calories? :D

Some metabolic poisons will do this. Some metabolic poisons have been used very effectively as weight loss aids. Overdosing on such drugs can quickly result in death.

By and far, the best way to increase metabolism is simply exercise. However (from two quickly googled sources) ...

Caffeine and your metabolism

Caffeine increases the level of circulating fatty acids. This has been shown to increase the oxidation of these fuels, hence enhancing fat oxidation. Caffeine has been used for years by runners and endurance people to enhance fatty acid metabolism. It's particularly effective in those who are not habitual users.

How Is Metabolism Affected By Stress

In terms of the metabolism, adrenaline makes the fat cells more efficient at turning fat into energy. Adrenaline also increases the metabolism. Cortisol has the effect of increasing the amount of glucose in the blood and creating more energy.

We do everyday life consuming energy. Among the consumed energy, used for breathing and maintaining temperature, etc. is called a basal metabolic rate(BMR).

A basal metabolic rate has some difference between person to person. Generally speaking, thin person's BMR is higher than fat person. So very thin is not always good.

Add muscle mass via weight training. Increased muscle mass will increase your resting metabolism. In other words, if you have more muscle, you will burn more calories just sitting on the couch than you will if you have less muscle.

Ive heard the celery takes more energy to digest than it gives, yes, no?

Not sure about celery. But some foods like some lettuces (nothing but un-digestable cellulose) gives a net energy loss because energy is spent consuming it and it contains little to no nutrients that humans can digest. Cows and other grazing animals have no problem with cellulose though. It is their staple.

Down with lettuce. Long live Spinach.

Edited by mississippichem