Autoclaving questions

Hi all!

I'm a lab tech for a microbiology lab, and it's been a little while since I've done microbio. So just a quick question I had, when you autoclave TSB in the test tubes, do you put a cap on it? or no? Just wondering if one way works better than the other. Thanks!

Hi all!

I'm a lab tech for a microbiology lab, and it's been a little while since I've done microbio. So just a quick question I had, when you autoclave TSB in the test tubes, do you put a cap on it? or no? Just wondering if one way works better than the other. Thanks!

Cap, foil or something similar similar is usually needed to maintain sterility of the tubes once you take them out. Do not close them off airtight, though.

Guest Candydoll

cap or aluminium foil protects the autoclaved material from contamination after you put it out of the autoclave so tubes should b slightly capped when they are in autoclave and must be fully capped immediately after autoclaving.