How come the Costs of Piezoelectric Floors were so Expensive?

jerryyu

"Buying a piezoelectric transducer can be quite expensive. Two different suppliers I looked at were Face International Corp. and Active Control eXperts. Their piezo-transducers sold for about $100 and $200 respectively. Buying piezoelectric cable is much cheaper. One supplier in the UK, Ormal Electronics Ltd., gave a quote of £2.75 per meter for purchases of more than 2000 meters. Another supplier in the US, Measurement Specialties Inc., sells piezo-cable for $8.00/m for more than 1000 m." http://www.linkedin.com/answers/Sustainability/green-products/SUS_PRD/444508-22603425

Piezoelectric materials like Quartz is a pretty common substance, so the costs of it shouldn't be that expensive. So what's going on?

• 1 month later...

Hi Jerry,

Please forgive me for my ignorance as I'm just researching purchasing the required components for creating an piezoelectric floor for the entrance of my gym. Hopefully the floor will generate enough power to light the entrance in the evenings.

If I understand correctly from your post, it is possible to purchase the cable+transducer and lay it out underneath adequate flooring to harvest the energy?

Or do you perhaps know of a company which I can buy a complete package including the flooring?

Thank you

• 1 year later...