Contradictions: Religion vs Science

Mr Rayon

Hate to rain on both your parades about which is bigger - but according to wikipedia the fount of all knowledge the areas are as follows:

1. Europe 10.18*10^6 km^2

2. America 9.83*10^6 km^2

3. Australia 8.47*1-0^6 km^2

In population terms

1. Europe 731*10^6

2. America 308*10^6

3. Australia 32*10^6

Frankly those figures are a bit screwy as well cos they include bits in Europe that don't feel very European (and North America as a continent is huge) Back on the point (before Dragon calls me a jerk again!) - those broad brush strokes you talk about are indeed dangerous, but they are hard to avoid when the images we are fed of other countries are selected by their extreme nature. We regularly read/hear news stories about school boards in the States acting in a reactionary manner - but of course, we never hear about the vast majority who are rational and progressive. When I worked in New York the minor news stories I read about Europe painted a picture that I didn't recognize at all - and I sure that the same applies in reverse. That said, it still seems whilst Australia, 'old Europe', and many other countries are moving away from religious involvement in education and government in general; that America, the accession States of the EU, and much of the Islamic world is moving towards greater cohesion between state and religion.

dragonstar, I never said we were bigger, I said that our States were bigger than yours. In a roughly comparable land area we only have 7 States and Territories. Except for the ACT, Victoria and Tasmania, every one of our States is bigger than Texas. Think of what America would be like if instead of the lower 48 there were just 5 States, each the size of Alaska, that's the sort of situation we have here. This is why we don't have Districts like you do, there simply aren't enough people to make it worthwhile.

Imagine an area the size of Nevada, but with a population of maybe 2,000 people and 4 schools, why would we have Districts? That was the point I was trying to make.

Another point is that I reread my initial post and I'm wondering if it gave you the impression that I think the majority of Americans are fundies? I don't. I was originally going to write "Anti American Fundamentalist Filter" but I thought it would imply "Anti American" so I left the word out. The filter I was referring to was the one we sensible people use when a fundy starts to talk. When talking to these people we can't even admit that there is historical truth in the Bible because that will open the door to all the rest of their outragious claims. "Give an inch and they'll take a mile."

Where it goes wrong is that religion is a strong force in the US and American atheists especially seem to respond to any comment in support of the Bible or other religious work as if the original comment came from a fundy. Belief in a creator doesn't make someone a creationist. Just because I think the Universe was "created" doesn't mean I think it happened in 7 days about 6,000 years ago. Nor does it mean I think the creator to be omnipotent, omnicient (sp) or able to grant wishes and be desiring of worship.

Similarly, if there was some proof of the existence of a creator it would not validate any religion except for their fundamental belief in a creator. So the beliefs of a New Guinea head hunter are just as validated as the Catholics. Oddly enough in my view, it wouldn't make the Atheists wrong either.

Now this bit is totally tongue in cheek.

imatfaal I must protest! The land area figures you quotes were for all American States and Territories, but the Australian figures were for our two main island only. If you include all Australian States and Territories the figure is 13,588,524 square km, beating Europe by over 3 million square km. :P You forgot to add in the 5,896,500 sqare km of the "Australian Antarctic Territory". :P It might only have 1,000 people and be the arse end of the planet, but it still counts. :D

Now if we'd ever managed to get this ad campaign off the blocks, you could add New Zealand by now as well. :D

Edited by JohnB

dragonstar, I never said we were bigger, I said that our States were bigger than yours. In a roughly comparable land area we only have 7 States and Territories. Except for the ACT, Victoria and Tasmania, every one of our States is bigger than Texas. Think of what America would be like if instead of the lower 48 there were just 5 States, each the size of Alaska, that's the sort of situation we have here. This is why we don't have Districts like you do, there simply aren't enough people to make it worthwhile.

Imagine an area the size of Nevada, but with a population of maybe 2,000 people and 4 schools, why would we have Districts? That was the point I was trying to make.

Another point is that I reread my initial post and I'm wondering if it gave you the impression that I think the majority of Americans are fundies? I don't. I was originally going to write "Anti American Fundamentalist Filter" but I thought it would imply "Anti American" so I left the word out. The filter I was referring to was the one we sensible people use when a fundy starts to talk. When talking to these people we can't even admit that there is historical truth in the Bible because that will open the door to all the rest of their outragious claims. "Give an inch and they'll take a mile."

no you seemed to imply that Americans are ethnocentric ignorant idiots that know nothing about other nations and tolerate fundamentalism

Hate to rain on both your parades about which is bigger - but according to wikipedia the fount of all knowledge the areas are as follows:

1. Europe 10.18*10^6 km^2

2. America 9.83*10^6 km^2

3. Australia 8.47*1-0^6 km^2

In population terms

1. Europe 731*10^6

2. America 308*10^6

3. Australia 32*10^6

Frankly those figures are a bit screwy as well cos they include bits in Europe that don't feel very European (and North America as a continent is huge) Back on the point (before Dragon calls me a jerk again!) - those broad brush strokes you talk about are indeed dangerous, but they are hard to avoid when the images we are fed of other countries are selected by their extreme nature. We regularly read/hear news stories about school boards in the States acting in a reactionary manner - but of course, we never hear about the vast majority who are rational and progressive. When I worked in New York the minor news stories I read about Europe painted a picture that I didn't recognize at all - and I sure that the same applies in reverse. That said, it still seems whilst Australia, 'old Europe', and many other countries are moving away from religious involvement in education and government in general; that America, the accession States of the EU, and much of the Islamic world is moving towards greater cohesion between state and religion.

http://goeurope.about.com/od/europeanmaps/l/bl-country-size-comparison-map.htm

Edited by dragonstar57

Now this bit is totally tongue in cheek.

imatfaal I must protest! The land area figures you quotes were for all American States and Territories, but the Australian figures were for our two main island only. If you include all Australian States and Territories the figure is 13,588,524 square km, beating Europe by over 3 million square km. :P You forgot to add in the 5,896,500 sqare km of the "Australian Antarctic Territory". :P It might only have 1,000 people and be the arse end of the planet, but it still counts. :D

Now if we'd ever managed to get this ad campaign off the blocks, you could add New Zealand by now as well. :D

Tongue firmly in cheek as well ... but if you include British Antarctic Territories and Queen Maude Land (Norway) then we get another 4.2 mill - putting us back in front.

Love the ads - trouble is if we made ads like that in the UK people would think they were serious

Edited by imatfaal

Tongue firmly in cheek as well ... but if you include British Antarctic Territories and Queen Maude Land (Norway) then we get another 4.2 mill - putting us back in front.

Love the ads - trouble is if we made ads like that in the UK people would think they were serious

and if you count Canada as part of the us... :D

i have to agree about the adds being funny but if the us did something like that people would know that we were joking but everyone would be offended :D

This cuts down on the fundies because a believer in special creation simply isn't going to score high enough to get past High School. Different subjects have different weightings. A "Top" score in "Religious Studies" isn't worth as much as a top score in Maths or any of the sciences. A creationist might score well enough for a Humanities or other fuzzy subject, but they are locked out of Law, Medicine or any of the sciences. If a creationist can't get into Law, he can't write laws. ;) Solves the problem really.

except any fundie can sit there and take a science class and be thinking "lies" the whole time.

then run for office and get power over the curriculum

Edited by dragonstar57

imatfaal, but large chuncks of the British Antarctic Territories are disputed by Argentina and Brazil, so your total goes down. :D

dragonstar. Canada, Canada....... Maybe if we add in those little Pacific nations we control? *mumble, mumble, carry the 2, mumble*, nope still not quite enough..... Wait! I've got it! At least half of the population of the Oz Antarctic Territory are Russian. Since we don't require them to have visas they must be Australian citizens! So we can add Russia to the Australian total and we are once again on top! :D

The ads were from a program called the "Gruen Transfer". They had a segment each week where two ad companies were asked to sell the unsellable. Invading New Zealand was one, there was also "Compulsory Euthanasia for the over 80s","Drinkable Urine", "Ice to Eskimos",

and heaps more. Grab a cup of coffee and head to youtube for some chuckles.

On the education bit, the only way a fundy could get control over the curriculum would be to become Minister for Education. Where you have "Secretary of......" we have "Minister for ........". Ministers are politicians from the party that has the most seats in the Parliment and their areas (known as Portfolios) are assigned by the Premier, who is the leader of the party with the most seats. Ministers can be sacked by the Premier at any time so as soon as the fundy tried anything he/she wouldn't be the Minister any more. :D They could try a "Private Members Bill" to introduce changes but these are traditionally voted on as a "Conscience Vote" and not along party lines by the Parliment. So unless there were a majority of fundies in Parliment, again it would go down in flames.

Assuming that it did pass, it would be refused "Royal Assent" by the Governor due to it introducing preferential treatment for a particular religion and would die there. There is also the provision in the Queensland Constitution that since Ministers are technically "Minister of The Crown" the Governor as representative of The Sovereign can dismiss Ministers at any time.

Ministers hold office at the pleasure of the Governor who, in the exercise of the Governor’s power to appoint and dismiss the Ministers, is not subject to direction by any person and is not limited as to the Governor’s sources of advice.

The way the system is set up, it's very hard for a radical or extremist anything to get into and keep a position of power. A feature of our system that yours doesn't have is the "Double Dissolution". This power of the Governor (in the case of a State) or the Governor General (for the Federal gov) allows them to dissolve Parliment entirely, both Lower House and Senate to call a complete general election. This power has only been used once in our History but its threat is very real. It resolves a deadlock.

Put in American terms say the Democrats held a majority in Congress and the Republicans held control of the Senate. For some reason or other neither side would compromise and Bills simply can't get through both Houses, the gov is deadlocked. It's as if the President had the power to say "Bugger this for a lark, you're all out and we'll let the people decide." So every Representative and every Senator would face the polls. That is a very scary prospect for politicians and it tends to keep them in line. :D

• 10 months later...

All of you make valuable argument, it's a safe assumption that all of you atheist have not taken time to study the Bible and it's contents will full attention.

Most of you have based your opinions on what you see on TV, read in books, and hear from others. But it is in my full, undivided Faith that the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit is not just another story handed down by old people, but it is in fact the truth.

I know all of you can find some bit of evidence that God does not exist, it's all a lie and other stuff like that. But it's none to conclude that it is, in its entirety, false. I know you would find contradictions in the Bible, but if you think about it, they only happen between the Old Testament and New Testament. Which is the time when Jesus Christ was born, died for our sins, and resurrected. With his death, we were all forgiven.

To whole the Earth being 6000 years old, now where did it say the exact age of the Earth? Nowhere! Scientist just make an assumption that a day for God, the creator was a regular Earth day. But it specifically says in the Bible that day is light, and night is darkness. So you can't base it on the human 24 our day. Because, the Creator lives in Heaven, not Ohio. So if you plug a billion years, for one day in the creation of Earth. The numbers become the same.

Some people view the Bible as a big game of telephone, but it's far from that. The first re-written Bible was copied word for word, and from every Bible there on, each Bible has been translated word by word. There is proof of that!

The Bible talks about the uses of blood, almost 2000 years BEFORE Scientist knew what blood was used for.

Scientist also interpret the Bible as literal, going along with the whole creation thing, so when it says something like "You are the vine." Scientist can say, "We aren't really vines, so this is wrong!" It is assumed because they are the smartest people in the world, they are right.

The Bible talks about King Nebuchadnezzar, who at the time was king. But historians have proved that there was another king at that exact period in time. BUT WAIT, historians have RECENTLY found artifacts that said that King Nebuchadnezzar was appointed King at the time, and exiled the Jews.

Wait there is more! Evolution is widely excepted by humanity today. But Evolution is about as random of a guess as anything in Science. Evolution is based of mutation and adapting to the environment. The as viewed by modern Science, mutated cells almost never carry on to offspring. Another LAW of science is that given enough time and energy, organisms will deteriorate. Which contradicts the theory of Evolution.

The possibility of the universe be created by one particle is about a 0:0 chance. That would be like an exploding printing press creating a dictionary with no mistakes of any kind. Ruling out the God particle.

Christianity, not "Catholicism" or any other religion that follows the Bible, is the only religion that tells you to disprove the teachings.

Would the world be that bad if:

Thou shalt have none other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Honour thy father and thy mother

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Thou shalt not covet

I mean, really? If we followed these rules exactly, this would be a perfect world.

I am a devoted Christian, a loving person, and an understanding person. Never once did I attack your beliefs, your personality, looks, whatever. Want to know why? The Bible taught me so. Because never once does it say to hate people, insult others, have many conflicts, other mumbo jumbo like that. Don't get me wrong, I do slip up, I am only human. Now, if you ask any of my friends; gay, straight, white, black, asian, hispanic, middle eastern, fat, thin, tall, short, athiest, Catholic, Jewish, Baptist, anyone, that I am a LOVING and KIND person because of my faith in the Lord.

Just because you don't have complete control over life itself, doesn't mean you have to be first to put down beliefs just because you don't understand them.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

I don't know about you, but I have lived a life full of no regrets, and if that verse is true, and I believe 100% it is, Woooo hoooo! Heaven, here I come!

All of you make valuable argument, it's a safe assumption that all of you atheist have not taken time to study the Bible and it's contents will full attention.

Not only is that assumption unsafe, it's also wrong.

Most of you have based your opinions on what you see on TV, read in books, and hear from others. But it is in my full, undivided Faith that the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit is not just another story handed down by old people, but it is in fact the truth.

Faith is not equivalent to evidence, and you know this yourself... As you don't accept the faith of others as valid proof of their gods... like Vishnu, or Thor, or Apollo.

I know all of you can find some bit of evidence that God does not exist

No, actually we cannot. One cannot proof nonexistence, but the burden of proof is not on us since we're not the ones making the positive claim.

I know you would find contradictions in the Bible, but if you think about it, they only happen between the Old Testament and New Testament.

Untrue. If you are approaching this discussion in good faith, and being genuine and honest, you will look at why at places like this: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

So if you plug a billion years, for one day in the creation of Earth. The numbers become the same.

And if you call stupid people brilliant they're no longer dumb. :doh:

Some people view the Bible as a big game of telephone, but it's far from that. The first re-written Bible was copied word for word, and from every Bible there on, each Bible has been translated word by word. There is proof of that!

Actually, the evidence suggests strongly that scribes made errors, and also would alter the text when it suited them.

http://www.biblecodedigest.com/page.php?PageID=445

Evolution is widely excepted by humanity today. But Evolution is about as random of a guess as anything in Science.

Contrary to what you've just said, evolution is one of the single most well established and firmly supported ideas science has ever known. If you think otherwise, that reflects poorly on your credibility when commenting.

I mean, really? If we followed these rules exactly, this would be a perfect world.

I prefer to live as a free thinker than to subject myself to one religions version of a magic sky dictator, and really life according to those rules would be boring. Further, your commandments are hardly the only thing which accompany religious belief and faith, so let's not pretend otherwise. It's disingenuous.

I am a devoted Christian, a loving person, and an understanding person. Never once did I attack your beliefs, your personality, looks, whatever. Want to know why? The Bible taught me so.

Good for you. Why is it that you ignore so many parts of your bible which teach the exact opposite of love, understanding, and acceptance?

Because never once does it say to hate people, insult others, have many conflicts, other mumbo jumbo like that.

Really? Is it not hateful to kill? Is it not hateful to stone someone to death? Is it not hateful to rape and pillage as described in Judges, or to murder and rape as described in Numbers, or to rape and pillage as described in Deuteronomy, or to kill children as described in Samuel and Kings and Hosea, or to kill nonbelievers as described in Chronicles, or to ... all the other stuff in your precious book that you seem to be ignoring?

Just because you don't have complete control over life itself, doesn't mean you have to be first to put down beliefs just because you don't understand them.

Here you run into error yet again. The beliefs are not put down due to a lack of understanding. They are put down due to their absurdity, their complete lack of connection with reality, and for the way they are held not only in the absence of evidence, but quite frequently in complete opposition to it.

Edited by iNow

It'd be nice if it were at least sometimes challenging. Most believers who speak openly about it at sites like this online are just dumb and deluded, and don't even realize how silly they look. Religion rots peoples minds... It's like a brain cancer that affects otherwise decent and kind people.

I'm NOT saying things can't evolve, but I am saying that there is no way that I was created by bubbles. Which is what all science teachers have taught me. I respect everyones opinion, but I feel like as a human, Christianity has given me hope. Hope is not something that just happened.

Also, to the dumb comment. Why must you bag on my beliefs? I never said that atheists were dumb, in fact some of the most intelligent people I have met are atheists, same goes for Christians. Don't judge a group a single individual.

I'll pray for all of your salvation,

God Bless!

Edited by HisDisciple

I'm saying things can't evolve, but I am saying that there is no way that I was created by bubbles. Which is what all science teachers have taught me.

I suspect that some additional exploration of these topics would fill some of the gaps in your current knowledge, and would help to alleviate some of your misconceptions. We all have room to learn and grow, so this is not intended as a put down. I'm just saying you're commenting with certainty on issues that you appear not to have studied very closely.

I respect everyones opinion,

This is where we differ, then. I DON'T respect everyones opinion. I don't respect people who have the opinion that having sex with animals is okay. I don't respect people who have the opinion that all women want to be raped. I don't respect people who have the opinion that people with darker skin are inferior, and I don't respect people who have the opinion that putting cats into microwaves is a fun way to spend a Saturday.

What I DO respect is your RIGHT to believe whatever you want, but the beliefs themselves are often quite silly and deserving of no respect whatsoever. I will defend to my death your freedom to believe whatever you want, but I don't have to respect the beliefs themselves... and let's state the obvious here... I DON'T respect beliefs about a magic sky dictator who says we're born evil and must worship him like a bully would... beliefs which are held purely based on fantasy and no evidence whatsoever.

No, when people hold that opinion, I don't respect that opinion, nor do I respect the other opinions I listed above. I guess that's where we differ.

I feel like as a human, Christianity has given me hope. Hope is not something that just happened.

And that's fine. I have a different view. What gives me hope is when I chat with people and they approach discussions with integrity and honesty, and are willing to look inward to consider if their own beliefs, ideology, and worldview might need to change or even be rejected.

Why must you bag on my beliefs?

You put them forth for all the world to see. Just like you have the freedom and right to share your thoughts, I too have the freedom and right to share mine. I'm not going to pretend to respect your nonsensical childish fairy tales when I simply do not.

Don't judge a group [based on] a single individual.

I don't.

I'll pray for all of your salvation

Well, I know your intention is good here, but prayer is little more than a waste of your time and another expression of the delusion.

Life has to many uncertainties to live for yourself, I feel like following the teachings of Jesus Christ is not as bad as people put it out to be. Even if you do not believe Jesus was the Son of the Creator, He still had the right idea concerning humanity and was way ahead of His time period.

I'm a Christian because it gives me purpose, hope, love, Faith, and the patience. None of which I ever had before I found Jesus.

ONE LAST THING.

Suicide rates among atheists is almost twice as high as proclaimed "Christians."

Life has to many uncertainties to live for yourself, I feel like following the teachings of Jesus Christ is not as bad as people put it out to be. Even if you do not believe Jesus was the Son of the Creator, He still had the right idea concerning humanity and was way ahead of His time period.

How do you reconcile Jesus's support of slavery in the bible if you feel this way?

I'm a Christian because it gives me purpose, hope, love, Faith, and the patience. None of which I ever had before I found Jesus.

I felt that way after i became an atheist, it is a very freeing experience....

ONE LAST THING.

Suicide rates among atheists is almost twice as high as proclaimed "Christians."

Do you have any sources to confirm that assertion? We do require a sources for such assertions....

Don't be so sure...

In Matthew he advocates murder and states his approval of the hatred and ignorance expressed by the prophets in the old testament.

In Mark (and also in Matthew) he advocates child abuse, and criticizes people who do not kill a disobedient child.

Jesus also advocates death and killing in Revelations, and supports the beating of slaves in Luke.

Not to mention... All of those I shared above in a previous post already... facts you seem to be conveniently choosing to ignore.

ONE LAST THING.

Yes, religiosity is often correlated with suicide rate, but correlation does not equal causation. It's as if you're arguing that more people carrying umbrellas causes it to rain just because there is a strong correlation between rain and umbrella carrying.

You cannot easily associate suicide rate with lack of religion like you're trying to do here. It's really intellectually dishonest, as it's generally other societal factors like poverty, education, and similar factors that are the primary drivers of suicide rates.

Additionally, there are numerous reasons why religiosity may be correlated with suicide rate, but I suspect it's not for the reasons you think (hope and love and all that other hippy dippy shit). Much more likely is that believers fear they will burn forever in a lake of fire if they take their own life. Theists tend to have a moral opposition to the concept of suicide whereas non-theists tend to be more liberal about it. That makes obvious sense.

Another possibility is that believers are generally better off due being part of a social community who is available to help them when help is needed... Friends to talk to. Here's the thing, though... You DON'T need religion to have a social community. Atheists don't lack social structures or friends just because they don't believe, so that's silly.

Also, in the most secular and atheist countries in the world (like Scandinavia) the suicide rate is quite low, which speaks very strongly against your thesis.

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?section=library&page=pzuckerman_26_5

A country's suicide rate stands out as the one indicator of societal health in which religious nations fare much better than secular nations. According to the 2003 World Health Organization's report on international male suicide rates (http://www.who.int/en/), the nations with the lowest rates of suicide were all highly religious, characterized by extremely high levels of theism (usually of the Muslim and Catholic varieties).

Of the ten nations with the highest male suicide rates, five were distinctly irreligious nations ranked among the top twenty-five nations listed earlier. These five are Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Russia, and Slovenia. It is interesting to note that of the nations currently experiencing the highest rates of suicide-including the five just mentioned-nearly all are former Soviet/communist-dominated societies. (The nations of Scandinavia, where organic atheism is strongest, do not have the highest suicide rates in the world, as is widely thought to be the case.)

http://www.psywww.com/psyrelig/zuckerman.htm

Belief in God may certainly give emotional and psychological comfort to the individual believer - especially in times of pain, sadness, or uncertainty - and history has clearly shown that religious involvement and faith in God can often motivate individuals or cultures to promote justice and healthy societal development. But the fact still remains that it is not the most religious nations in our world today, but rather the most secular, that have been able to create the most civil, just, safe, equitable, humane, and prosperous societies. Denmark and Sweden stand out as shining examples. The German think tank the Hans-Bockler Stiftung recently ranked nations in terms of their success at establishing social justice within their societies; Denmark and Sweden, two of the least-religious nations in the world, tied for first.

It is a great socioreligious irony - for lack of a better term - that when we consider the fundamental values and moral imperatives contained within the world's great religions, such as caring for the sick, the inform, the elderly, the poor, the orphaned, the vulnerable; practicing mercy, charity, and goodwill toward one's fellow human beings; and fostering generosity, humility, honesty, and communal concern over individual egotism - those traditionally religious values are most successfully established, institutionalized, and put into practice at the societal level in the most irreligious nations in the world today.

Do you have any sources to confirm that assertion? We do require a sources for such assertions....

FYI: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/161/12/2303

Don't be so sure...

In Matthew he advocates murder and states his approval of the hatred and ignorance expressed by the prophets in the old testament.

In Mark (and also in Matthew) he advocates child abuse, and criticizes people who do not kill a disobedient child.

Jesus also advocates death and killing in Revelations, and supports the beating of slaves in Luke.

Not to mention... All of those I shared above in a previous post already... facts you seem to be conveniently choosing to ignore.

Have you actually studied the chapters and text that you are referring to here and came to these conclusions yourself?

Edited by NetSplitter

Have you actually studied the chapters and text that you are referring to here and came to these conclusions yourself?

I have, that is what it says, no way to get around what it says except by violating the 9th commandment but theists don't seem to have any problem with that when it comes to ignoring what is really written in their book. Nothing like really reading the bible to make you disillusioned with the delusion....

I have, that is what it says, no way to get around what it says except by violating the 9th commandment but theists don't seem to have any problem with that when it comes to ignoring what is really written in their book. Nothing like really reading the bible to make you disillusioned with the delusion....

I have too, but I may have interpreted it wrong. Since you're saying the statements below are true, I would be interested to read why?

"In Matthew he advocates murder and states his approval of the hatred and ignorance expressed by the prophets in the old testament.

Not to mention... All of those I shared above in a previous post already... facts you seem to be conveniently choosing to ignore."

Edited by NetSplitter

I have too, but I may have interpreted it wrong. Since you're saying the statements below are true, I would be interested to read why?

"In Matthew he advocates murder and states his approval of the hatred and ignorance expressed by the prophets in the old testament.

Not to mention... All of those I shared above in a previous post already... facts you seem to be conveniently choosing to ignore."

I would be interested to read your interpretation of these passages.... Please feel free to tell us what they really mean....

I would be interested to read your interpretation of these passages.... Please feel free to tell us what they really mean....

You said "that is what it says, no way to get around what it says except by violating the 9th commandment". Now to me your statement seems a little broad regarding what iNow had posted, I'm sure you were referring to many other topics within the bible instead of exclusively what iNow posted. But you made the claim so I am going to ask that you back it up, if you have read/studied the chapters and text regarding the statements you should have no problem providing me with your interpretation.

Edited by NetSplitter

You said "that is what it says, no way to get around what it says except by violating the 9th commandment". Now to me your statement seems a little broad regarding what iNow had posted, I'm sure you were referring to many other topics within the bible instead of exclusively what iNow posted. But you made the claim so I am going to ask that you back it up, if you have read/studied the chapters and text regarding the statements you should have no problem providing me with your interpretation.

I'm not ignoring you NetSplitter, I'm getting read to go to dinner and a really good discussion of the things that Jesus said that we would consider immoral is quite large and will take some time. Mostly the slavery issue is my current interest but I will, if no one else does, get back to you on this in as much detail as i can.

I'm not ignoring you NetSplitter, I'm getting read to go to dinner and a really good discussion of the things that Jesus said that we would consider immoral is quite large and will take some time. Mostly the slavery issue is my current interest but I will, if no one else does, get back to you on this in as much detail as i can.

No worries, my replies will be spaced out as well due to life in general, but I will eventually write back as well.

Edited by NetSplitter

For a peaceful life we have religion, for a healthy life we have science.

I look at it like this way. Religions sometimes offer accurate facts too. Like the Vedas have, accurate age of earth, the span of divisions they have made and all. There are pieces which were written well before the actual event happened. No doubt, the actual events have been proved.

But still, those who say we neglect science and worship God, must be at mistake. Science is essential for body, but as they think they are soul, religion is essential for them.

If religion is the motive of life, vitamins and minerals lead to the path. Science is for body, again I say. In today's world, the one who neglects science, neglects God, and his powers.