is there a reason why alcohol is never sold in plastic bottles?

the guy

Because it is? I have bottles of isopropyl alcohol in plastic bottles.

For wine/spirits, it hasn't caught on for widespread consumption , but it exists.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/aug/08/business/fi-wine8

The bottles carry a "use by" date -- plastic doesn't provide quite the same seal as glass -- and as such aren't likely to find their way into the cellars of serious wine enthusiasts.

Its generally not because some of the plastisers used to make the plastic often dissolve in ethanol so stronger spirits will mean become contaminated. It might also be a image thing...things sold in plastic bottles give the impression of being cheap and poor quaility.

you should come to scotland, there's a LOT of booze sold in plastic bottles.

usually the cheap and nasty stuff though. it doesn't seem to alter the tase or anything though.

Just wondering how you would know about the taste - lol.

In my local area, it's quite common for alcohol to be sold in plastic bottles.

Depending on which pub you visit:

A fight could break out in which a glass bottle could be used as a very effective weapon;

or an argument could break out as to weather the drinking vessel is an amorphous solid or supercooled liquid.

Edited by tomgwyther

is there a reason why alcohol is never sold in plastic bottles?

As stated by moontainman and Horza2002, drinking alcohol (recreational) and/or lab-grade alcohol may degrade/combine with the plastic material and degenerate the alcoholic compounds.

I often feel as though I am responding to various A.I. these days with the way some posters ask questions and a *logical* way to respond.

Edited by Genecks