Levitation

RandomMe

ti

Sorry pressed the enter key to early not good at this posting stuff yet.

Ok so I had this random dream the other night about the possibility of levitation and I had this crazy unrelated thought if we understand how gravity pulls at us is there any way to repell it like the way 2 magnets repel each other. I'm no idiot but obviously no genius just wanted to bounce the idea around and get pointed in the direction of where to get real scientific information on the topic.

To get a repulsive gravitational force within general relativity you need negative pressure. Such as a false vacuum as employed in inflationary models of cosmology.

The other possibility is exotic matter with negative mass/energy. Such things are usually not considered to be physical, or at least classically. Quantum mechanically such things are allowed and so strange things could be happening on the subatomic level.

dont totally get your answer but obviously youre pointing me in the no direction. do you know if theres any current scientific research?

The reason I mentioned ions in my title was that word was in my dream something about reverse charging the ions in the body, i guess i just need to do some more google searches Its just alot of reading and I thought it would make more sense just to ask smart science people. lol

do you know if theres any current scientific research?

General relativity, inflationary models, dark energy...etc

Lots of research at many different universities and other organisations. Have a look at Wikipedia. I think it will help you and it will suggest further reading.

General relativity, inflationary models, dark energy...etc

Lots of research at many different universities and other organisations. Have a look at Wikipedia. I think it will help you and it will suggest further reading.

thanks ajb,

Just checked your home page and you are obviously one of those smart people i was talking about, i will take your advice!

Doubt it will get me far because the likelyhood of me being able to grasp anything remotely close to your level of understanding in this life time is pretty slim being a working mum of 3. but thanks anyway I guess I was hoping if there could be any relationship between my dream and reality maybe a smart person could work it and we could share the profits and joy of levitation but hey i should just really listen to my husband who is always right and leave it to the scientists.

You can levitate but unless you have some of the really strange stuff that ajb mentioned, you can't really use gravity to levitate. You can levitate things electrically or magnetically, on a cushion of air, etc. For example, if you have a ping-pong ball and a vacuum cleaner that can be set to blow fairly hard, you can have the ping-pong ball suspended in the air by the airflow.

And also we have levitating trains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev_%28transport%29

You can levitate but unless you have some of the really strange stuff that ajb mentioned, you can't really use gravity to levitate. You can levitate things electrically or magnetically, on a cushion of air, etc. For example, if you have a ping-pong ball and a vacuum cleaner that can be set to blow fairly hard, you can have the ping-pong ball suspended in the air by the airflow.

http://en.wikipedia....%28transport%29

ok so I did some research at this ridiculously late hour starting with the dark matter and relativity stuff universal expansion leading to plasma and plasma double layering and came across finally levitated dipole experiment, which i thought was cool because it seemed to sit with my random theory of reverse charging ions in the human body in order to levitate but could do without the nuclear frying. (dont totally understand the experiment i suck at maths and tend to be into the more creative side of the brain thinking, if im off base on this one feel free to redirect me.)

I have also recently started reading about buddism and was interested to find his viewed echoed in scientific sites.

ok so i have random thoughts and dreams probably could do with sleep but had a wierd one on string theory not being straight string formations but 2 coils revolving around each other some kind of momentum and points of collision.

In our continual desire to find limitation and define what is do we hinder our ability to look at what isnt therefore confirming our current existence to our own defined limitations and concieved ideas of what is!

That perhaps what is and what isnt is one and the same and have an inseperable relationship of just being.

When I am being logical all of that staff is beyond my concievable understanding and on that note must sleep!

Sorry if my thoughts are a bit random and out there and come from ZERO scientific basis. and thanks to all who replied.

Hey I am new to this also... Very good and interesting question... I would imagine that being that we live within the vortex of gravity that is created by the mass of our planet,Which is bending the repelling force of space itself. You may need to look at what might repel those very forces... not the planets? If you are going to use whatever you are levitating to traverse outside of this atmosphere.. For something just inside of this atmosphere; The magnetism seems like it should work but for some reason doesn't... Magnetism is stronger than gravity... the earth is like a giant magnet... It would have to be a really strong magnetic force to thwart gravity.(for some reason) A small group in Norway used an incredibly powerful magnet to float a frog. Not only a frog, but water, a strawberry and a grasshopper...

ti

Sorry pressed the enter key to early not good at this posting stuff yet.

Ok so I had this random dream the other night about the possibility of levitation and I had this crazy unrelated thought if we understand how gravity pulls at us is there any way to repell it like the way 2 magnets repel each other. I'm no idiot but obviously no genius just wanted to bounce the idea around and get pointed in the direction of where to get real scientific information on the topic.

http://en.wikipedia....%28transport%29

I read about some researcher levitating frogs electromagnetically but his research was not too warmly received, as I recall. If you google "levitating frog," there are some youtube videos and a wikipedia entry among other things. Maybe one day there will be levitation chambers at county fairs, but I believe this experiment used enormous amounts of energy so the price of the ride might be high even after they pay off the cost of the machine.