Sensory system

Hi, I'm hoping to do something a little simple, maybe it's only at the high-school standard, in regards to:

a: How and from-where information enters our brain, from the outside world.(that is; from our 5 senses)

b: How and where in the brain information is dealt with or processes.

c: How and from where information leaves the brain, to enter the outside world. eg: speech, facial expressions and other physical actions.

I'm just going to post things and hope some body can correct any mistakes that they see.

I'll start with a: and then do c: and lastly do b:

I'm just doing this for a bit of fun and to get some idea as to what happens in our brain. I what to do this step by step, so as little information as possible is missed. But I don't want to get too bogged down in detail either, because it needs to be readable by lay people, like myself. Therefore, I'll just put links to the detailed bits of information.

From the Nose to the Brain

Odors are sensed by the Olfactory_sensory_neuron

in the Olfactory_epithelium

Then go through the Olfactory_nerve (CN1)

to the Olfactory_bulb

Info then goes through the Glomerulus_(olfaction)

And passed to Dendrite

And Mitral_cells

To several parts of the brain

Anterior_olfactory_nucleus

Piriform_cortex

Amygdala (mating and recognizing same species)

Entorhinal_cortex (memory)

From the Tongue to the Brain

Tastes are first picked up by the Taste_bud

information is carried by the Facial_nerve (CN 7)

and Hypoglossal_nerve (CN 12)

and Glossopharyngeal_nerve (CN 9)

and Vagus_nerve (CN 10)

all these nerves go to the Nucleus_of_the_solitary_tract

then to the Thalmus

and then to the Cerebral_cortex

and also the Limbic_system

which contain then Hypothalamus

and Amygda

From the Ear to the Brain

Sound enters via the External_auditory_canal

Vibrate the Tympanic_membrane

Which vibrate the Malleus

And in turn the Incus

And then to the Stapes

To the Fenestra_ovalis

Then to the Labyrinth_(inner_ear)

Which has the Cochlea

Info goes vis the Vestibulocochlear_Nerve

Which contains the Cochlear_nerve (hearing info)

And the Vestibular_nerve (balance info)

Goes to the Primary_auditory_cortex in the brain

from there it goes to several other areas in the brain

From the Eyes to the Brain

Light enters the eye hits the Retina

Passes info to the Optic_nerve (CN2)

Through the Optic_chiasm (cross over part)

Through the Optic_tract

To the Lateral_geniculate_nucleus

Then via Optic_radiation

To the Primary_visual_cortex

Then to the Dorsal_stream

And the Ventral_stream

From the Skin to the Brain

Layer 1 Epidermis_(skin)

Layer 2 Dermis

Layer 3 Subcutaneous_tissue (hypodermis:has all the special cells in it)

Special cells include:

Hair_plexus

Ruffini_Endings

Krause_corpuscle

Pacinian_corpuscle

Meissner_corpuscle

Free_nerve_endings

Info goes from one of these special cells to an Axon

Through the Dorsal_root_ganglion

Via the Spinothalamic_tract

to the Postcentral_gyrus

I have one question about hunger and thirst, are these senses or are they completely different because they are hormonally based.

Edited by leveni

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for diseases, problems and differences in each of the above and can't really find any info. Eg: the number of Olfactory_sensory_neurons we have at the lower end and the higher end, and the disease that affect them. But can't really find any info on it. Any suggestions?

I've been looking for diseases, problems and differences in each of the above and can't really find any info. Eg: the number of Olfactory_sensory_neurons we have at the lower end and the higher end, and the disease that affect them. But can't really find any info on it. Any suggestions?

I definitely don't have any suggestions. Pretty much out of my league at that point. I know diseases that affect sensory perception, if that's what you're asking?

I want to compile data on diseases that affect every part of the senses, from where they are first sensed to when they reach the brain, and also to show some special abilities, eg humans can only see red, green and blue but maybe some women can also see the ultraviolet (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06256/721190-114.stm : From Wikipedia)and then figure out how to draw some kind of visual aid, like a bell curve, to show it all.

Can you show me a link of the different diseases that affect sensory perception. I have to start somewhere, so why not with that.

I want to compile data on diseases that affect every part of the senses, from where they are first sensed to when they reach the brain, and also to show some special abilities, eg humans can only see red, green and blue but maybe some women can also see the ultraviolet (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06256/721190-114.stm : From Wikipedia)and then figure out how to draw some kind of visual aid, like a bell curve, to show it all.

Can you show me a link of the different diseases that affect sensory perception. I have to start somewhere, so why not with that.

first one that comes to mind.

http://askville.amazon.com/Neurosyphilis-affect-brain-body/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=15159307

i don't think there is a comprehensive list of diseases that affect sensory perceptions, but i will keep looking.

Thanks Jake,

I'm adding my lists to Wikipedia right now. Once that's finished, I'm going to start on a bell curve to show the range our senses have, and I want to include diseases in this bell curve. I;'m going to start out with a bell curve but the tyope of graph I eventually end up with might be different.